TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > General Discussion > Introductions

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 11-29-2016, 04:25 PM   #1
His & Hers Double Twins

New on Africa Twins from SE Houston

My wife (Dee) and I ride a lot. We have (2) matching pairs of Motorcycles. We ride 2016 HD Road Glides CVO's and we have a matching pair of 2016 Honda Africa Twins. We have had (5) other off road bikes before setting in with the Africa Twins. We enjoy long trips on the Harleys 3,000-4,500 mile vacations annually. As far as the Africa Twins we're still getting use to them. Our longest day has been about 225 miles, we have rode the muilti use trails in the National Forest to get in shape with the AT. I (David) came from 11 yrs of Enduro Racing back in the day, Dee started on dirt bikes too. We have owned over (40) motorcycles between us in our life time. We are looking forward to meeting and adventure riding with the group in 2017. Feel free to contact us anytime.

David
Dee & David, (2) matching pair, Honda Africa Twin's & 2016 Harley Davidson Road Glide CVO's. Too many pass bikes to list (40 something together). Started in the dirt, then street and now back and doing both. Anything around 4,000 miles we do it on the Harley's. If the travels turns to dirt we are on the Africa Twins.
His & Hers Double Twins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 04:54 PM   #2
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

Re: New on Africa Twins from SE Houston

Welcome to the site!

Great bikes! Very cool that your wife rides with you. Now that it gets dark so freaking early, there aren't as many DS rides, but there might still be some posted here and there. I am in Huntsville and usually do several rides in the Spring (no trails, just dirt county and forest roads).

Total Forum Supporter Donations For April: $530.99 - Previous Month: $719.72 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 139 Current Forum Supporters out of 20268 Users (0.69%)
Support TWT by shopping at Amazon

The number one rule for this forum!
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Tourmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 11:39 AM   #3
jfink
Forum Supporter

Welcome to the site. There is a group who meetup every Wednesday in the Clear Lake area. Check here for details. I believe they are meeting tonight at the Pipeline Grill in La Porte. Many are dirt or offroad riders and would probably drool over your Africa Twins.

Politics definition - Poli; many, Tics; blood sucking creatures.

'04 Goldwing (all states, except Hawaii, all provinces except Nunavut)
'08 KLR 650 (685 Kit)
'11 KTM 990 Dakar (all 23 countries in South, Central and North America)
'14 KTM 500 Exc

Where I have ridden
jfink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 12:16 PM   #4
His & Hers Double Twins

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfink View Post
Welcome to the site. There is a group who meetup every Wednesday in the Clear Lake area. Check here for details. I believe they are meeting tonight at the Pipeline Grill in La Porte. Many are dirt or offroad riders and would probably drool over your Africa Twins.
Thanks for the info, Joe. I replied to there post. We will ride over tonight, not sure what time...? Give us a chance to wear our new jackets.
Dee & David, (2) matching pair, Honda Africa Twin's & 2016 Harley Davidson Road Glide CVO's. Too many pass bikes to list (40 something together). Started in the dirt, then street and now back and doing both. Anything around 4,000 miles we do it on the Harley's. If the travels turns to dirt we are on the Africa Twins.
Old 11-30-2016, 02:36 PM   #5
jbird710

Welcome to the site! If you didn't see it, I replied to your post the meetup time is around 6:00 ish.

Don't you know about the Bird?

8 Hondas, a Harley, and a basket case Suzuki
"The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect"
jbird710 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 07:09 PM   #6
julimike54
Forum Supporter

& enjoy!
Old 12-09-2016, 03:20 PM   #7
Morgstang

Your welcome to ride with us this Sunday...

http://www.motohouston.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=346552
Morgstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 04:33 PM   #8
His & Hers Double Twins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgstang View Post
Your welcome to ride with us this Sunday...

http://www.motohouston.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=346552
The link doesn't work, if fact I can't open the motohouston.com
Old 12-09-2016, 04:33 PM   #9
His & Hers Double Twins

Quote:
Originally Posted by julimike54 View Post
& enjoy!
Thanks Mike
Old 12-09-2016, 05:27 PM   #10
Morgstang

Quote:
Originally Posted by His & Hers Double Twins View Post
The link doesn't work, if fact I can't open the motohouston.com
The site isnt loading for me either...try it later...if not we are having a group ride this Sunday at 10am...meeting at the Buc-ees in Waller at Hwy 290 and FM 362...we meet on the left side...your welcome to call or text me if you need more info...979-251-6249...Keith
Old 12-10-2016, 12:44 AM   #11
wildernessrider
TWT Site Sponsor

Welcome to the forum! You both must be very accomplished riders if you are wheeling your Africa Twins on the national forest multi use trails. I also ride a twin, but prefer to take my WR-450 out to the forest. My girlfriend rides a DR 650. Maybe we can meet up for a ride sometime.
2016 Africa Twin CRF-1000
2015 WR-450
2015 YZ-450
2011 Husky 449
wildernessrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 09:42 AM   #12
fly

Welcome from the Conroe Contingent !
Old 12-10-2016, 05:26 PM   #13
His & Hers Double Twins

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildernessrider View Post
Welcome to the forum! You both must be very accomplished riders if you are wheeling your Africa Twins on the national forest multi use trails. I also ride a twin, but prefer to take my WR-450 out to the forest. My girlfriend rides a DR 650. Maybe we can meet up for a ride sometime.
We would like that. Just contact us any time. davidrm13059@gmail.com 713-435-9569
Old 12-12-2016, 06:42 AM   #14
Morgstang

Thanks for joining us yesterday...ya'll did great...the crowd was impressed...join us again...
Old 12-12-2016, 08:14 AM   #15
His & Hers Double Twins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgstang View Post
Thanks for joining us yesterday...ya'll did great...the crowd was impressed...join us again...
Thanks for allowing us to go on our first sport bike ride. You guys rock. It was a challenge for us to push big Harley's up to that pace. But we're definitely better for the experience. We will be back.
Old 12-12-2016, 08:58 AM   #16
kubotamiketx
Forum Supporter

Welcome to the group and great choice with the AT's.

I have had mine for a while now and have ridden it in the Texas Hill Country to some technical off-road in Colorado and just love the bike.

By the way if you ever want to talk add-ons I have done quite a few including switching to tubeless tires, SW-Motech Paniers and hard luggage, Touratech skid plate, lower crash bars, upper crash bars. Also installed the "booster plug" that helps with low end throttle response.

I have an SW Motech skid plate for sale and the Honda top box if you are interested.

Hope to ride with you and your wife someday.

Mike
1969 CT90
2007 Kubota L3940, John Deer X300, Kubota Zero Turn, Polaris Crew, Kawasaki Mule Pro FX, 3 chain saws, 3 weed eaters, pole saw, Duramax truck, all need servicing of some sort all the time . . .
kubotamiketx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 04:44 PM   #17
wildernessrider
TWT Site Sponsor

Not up to speed on the booster plug KubotaMike, could you clue me in on it, also how much effort & expense vs actual seat of the pants effect. Lastly, if it is a good thing...where might I get one?
2015 WR-450
2015 YZ-450
2011 Husky 449
Old 12-12-2016, 06:22 PM   #18
kubotamiketx
Forum Supporter

Below is a link to the booster plug site. The concept with it is that all modern fuel injected motorcycles run as lean as possible especially at idle where emissions are measured. My AT had a slight bobble right off idle that I noticed. It wasn't horrible, but being an ex trials guy I am a fanatic about throttle response. Also, the AT isn't the lowest geared bike, so slow technical stuff makes the off-idle bobble more annoying that it would on a smaller bike. Anyway, I read a lot of reviews and sent the hours and hours to install it on the twin. It was pretty much a PIA to do. Turns out you have to remove the air box to get to the electrical connector that the booster plug connects to and there are a lot of parts that need to come off to get in there. I used the occasion to install the Honda 12V plug at the same time, so I got 2 for 1...

The concept is stupid simple and it doesn't void the warranty or anything. All it does is intercepts the temperature being sent to the computer and lowers it by 20 degrees or so (I am not really sure). The net effect is that the computer will add a tiny touch more fuel all over the mapping. It completely cleaned up the off-idle bobble. Honestly most riders wont even notice it, but I did and I like the result.

As far as affecting mileage it didn't change anything that I can see. It is pretty consistent at about 50 to 55 MPG. The only time I saw the mileage take a hit was when we did the Hill Country 500 and I had my hard luggage on for the entire ride. My mileage went down to about 40 MPG, which almost got me in trouble when I ignored one gas stop and went into reserve at night at the end of day 1. Turns out we have a large reserve, but the yellow blinking light was scary.

http://www.boosterplug.com/shop/frontpage.html
1969 CT90
2007 Kubota L3940, John Deer X300, Kubota Zero Turn, Polaris Crew, Kawasaki Mule Pro FX, 3 chain saws, 3 weed eaters, pole saw, Duramax truck, all need servicing of some sort all the time . . .
kubotamiketx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 09:07 PM   #19
wildernessrider
TWT Site Sponsor

Thanks! I have noticed my bike having the same bobble coming off idle at times. Also feel the tall 1st gear in the dirt & hills. A little more muscle on the very bottom would be good. Just my luck that I had the 12V power shoe mounted on my twin a couple weeks ago. Would have been nice to get a two for one on the install.
2015 WR-450
2015 YZ-450
2011 Husky 449
Old 12-12-2016, 11:11 PM   #20
Dirtrideroader

Quote:
Originally Posted by His & Hers Double Twins View Post
Thanks for allowing us to go on our first sport bike ride. You guys rock. It was a challenge for us to push big Harley's up to that pace. But we're definitely better for the experience. We will be back.
Why didn't you ride the Hondas? Have knobbies on them?
IBA #23263

"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline,
it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons,
but at the very least you need a good beer"
-Frank Zappa
Dirtrideroader is offline   Reply With Quote