TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > General Discussion > Introductions

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 12-14-2016, 04:07 PM   #21
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

Re: RE-RIDER!

Well, if you plan to stay on the pavement, I think most any of the 650 sized adventure bikes would be a good choice, particularly the Vstrom 650 and the Versys 650. They are both great bang for the buck type bikes. With normal maintenance, they will go forever. They have plenty of power and handle well. They are good for day trips or even long extended trips. If you can wait, March, April, and May are usually good times to buy because people start looking for nicer/newer bikes as the weather gets better.

Total Forum Supporter Donations For January: $539.51 - Previous Month: $933.06 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 139 Current Forum Supporters out of 20119 Users (0.69%)
Support TWT by shopping at Amazon

The number one rule for this forum!
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Tourmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 04:59 PM   #22
ernieD2

Hey thanks for that Tmeister.

I have now ridden a '08 Versys 650 and a '07 DL650. It's been long time since I mounted a bike so they both felt very tall, quick and powerful to me.

I rode the Versys first last week. That was the first time on any bike in over 10+yrs, so little scary. Kept the ride short just a few blocks in sellers neighborhood, only went thru 3 gears @ about 35mph.

I rode the '07 Wee yesterday. Seller met me in a local park in Friendswood. So I had no traffic, asphalted streets and big parking lots to try tight circle turns, stops and take offs and up to 5th gear @ 45mph. And with no other traffic or narrow residential streets to deal with, was a nice little ride. And I thought bike prices went up more in spring due to the nicer weather? Figured now, while it's colder, used bikes might go for less? Oh well, I'm sticking close to my budget as possible either way.

Maybe riding that Versys first very briefly last week gave me the confidence to ride more comfortably/loosely this time. But this Wee ride was so much more relaxed and I didn't feel scared of the bike at all. Of course, only low speed ride still but it just felt like my old riding skills came to me more readily on this bike. There nice long curves/bends in the park roads and I did a little lean into em. Was alota fun.

And it was now the second time on a bike in many years, so maybe just that little ice breaker last week helped. But the Wee felt so much better to me than the Versys last week. Plus, I just like the looks and feel of the Wee vs the Versys.

I'm still considering other year model Wee 650's. But maybe this dirty, older, thumpy, '07 Wee is for Me? Sure felt natural to me. Peace y'all, e.

Last edited by ernieD2; 12-14-2016 at 05:01 PM. Reason: sp
ernieD2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 05:39 PM   #23
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

I usually see more bikes offered in the Spring, so more to choose from. Prices really depend more on circumstances of the individual sellers. If you are patient, you can usually get great deals on bikes that are already nicely set up with after market goodies.

Total Forum Supporter Donations For January: $539.51 - Previous Month: $933.06 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 139 Current Forum Supporters out of 20119 Users (0.69%)

Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Old 12-14-2016, 07:21 PM   #24
ernieD2

Hmm, well, patience not always my virtue. But I have been online shopping for well over a month now and I've only ridden 2 bikes so far. I've seen about 4 up close but not ridden all. So I am pacing myself.

Seller of a '08 DL1000 just down the street from me gave me a ride on his over a month ago. Real clean bike, all stock, 13K miles and priced very well. Priced less than a few older Wee 650's. AND he just dropped the price on it some more. He just bought a BMW so this one, not ridden as much now. Hard not to take a second look at it.

But I keep reading where this may not be the best re-starter bike for a re-rider like me. I did sit on it and was almost flat footed on the pavement. Bike is big and heavy but didn't feel too bad to me. I was going to actually test drive it this morning but things got in the way. I really want to see how this bike feels to me while I ride it. If it scares **** outta me, I'll know to give it up.
Its the first bike I saw when I began shopping as it was only 9 mins from my home and still on my list. Just trying to listen to calmer, more experienced voices here and not choose something I may soon regret buying.

But I still plan to at least test ride it anyway....I got's to know.

Peace y'all, e.

Last edited by ernieD2; 12-14-2016 at 07:22 PM. Reason: sp
Old 12-14-2016, 09:16 PM   #25
SpiritAtBay
Forum Supporter

Hee hee. I'm enjoying your hunt.

gina

'09 Suzi DL650 (Quite possibly the best bike for me)
'00 Yami TTR250m (Dirty Sally)
'12 KTM 690 Enduro (O Orange One/ "3 Oh")

"Due to circumstances beyond my control,
I am master of my fate and captain of my soul."

Hemingway's Invictus, with a modern twist

"There's lots of things along the road
I'd surely like to see
I'd like to lean into the wind
And tell myself I'm free"

Townes Van Zandt
SpiritAtBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 12:07 AM   #26
ernieD2

Shhhh...be Ve-wee, ve-wee, quiet; I'm hunting Wee-bits. Heheheheh
Attached Images

Old 12-15-2016, 03:24 PM   #27
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

I would recommend doing a refresher course. I have known many people that used to ride years ago, got back into it, did even the basic MSF course, and commented about how even a basic course did wonders for their confidence and basic skills.

These guys are sponsors here on TWT,
http://twtex.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=149

But any similar course would be good.

If you rode before and were competent then there really isn't a good reason why you should not be able to handle something like the VStrom 1K if you can get your feet on the ground. I personally preferred the 650 over the 1K though, despite having a bit less power. I just thought it handled better. That said, the 1K has been a very popular bike.

Quote:

Old 12-15-2016, 06:24 PM   #28
ernieD2

Right again Tmeister.

I've found a couple classes scheduled in the Houston area in January. From class descriptions, it seems the beginner MSF is for folks trying to get their first M endorsement? If I read that correctly?

I've kept my M endorsement on my driver's license since I was 16. Maybe i need a more advanced course? I'll research this more soon. Definitely want to update my old riding habits.
Old 12-15-2016, 10:08 PM   #29
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

Yeah, the basic MSF course is for those getting a license, but also for those that might want a basic refresher if they've been off bikes for a while. There is also an MSF advanced course. I believe the guys in the link I posted offer both basic and advanced riding classes. If you really want something good, do an entry level track day, regardless of which bike you buy. That will do wonders for your street riding skills!

Quote:

Old 12-15-2016, 10:44 PM   #30
ernieD2

Thanks so much, will definitely be looking into my options with these riding safety courses. This and joining 'group rides' memberships, I am told by my insurance agent, will allow for some discounts in my policy.

It's a Ween-Ween.
Old 12-16-2016, 05:29 PM   #31
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

If you do a trackday, your insurance should cover your bike. Track days are NOT competitions. They are closed course instruction schools with very strict rules about what you can and cannot do while on the track. I did a few when I had both USAA and Progressive insurance on my bikes and both companies covered the bikes (I called to be sure). I did not have to use them though

Quote: