TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > General Discussion > Introductions

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 12-13-2016, 05:37 PM   #1
CUnger

Hello from SE Houston!

Hey everyone! Some history on me I am now riding a Triumph Tiger 800 XC! I served for five years in the Marines and I am currently in school to become a pilot, then I have the choice to sign back up and fly for the military or as a civilian... and being that college student pay is not very much, the Tiger is now my daily driver! (great problem to have ;D ) Any who my wife loves to join me when ever possible on a ride and I am also looking for more trails to explore in the area, possibly try to go to the Sam Houston national... I look forward to meeting everyone at future meet ups!
CUnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 06:03 PM   #2
ernieD2

Re: Hello from SE Houston!

Although I'm new here and don't presently own a bike, WELCOME! From NE of Houston.

I was sort of in your area this morning, Friendswood, SE of Houston.

Test riding a couple 650 V Stroms. Love to have a Triumph Tiger, even see some within my budget. But me being a re-rider of over 10+ yrs being "off", I think the DL650 will be a darn good starting point for me.

And from all I've read, a good stopping point from all the Wee offers.

Got pics of your Tiger? Post some when you can. Go Texans!!

Last edited by ernieD2; 12-13-2016 at 06:04 PM. Reason: sp
ernieD2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 08:48 PM   #3
CUnger

I wish you luck in your search for your next iron horse! I went with out a bike twice since I started riding at the age of 17, once because I thought it would be ok, then the other because insurance did not like my R1(not becasue of me speeding either) :p my wife and I had to down size on our vehicles since I got outof the military but when we were looking at bikes she told me to get the Tiger again. She likes the bikes and being I don't have a car anymore, it needed to be comfortable, so I didn't argue with her haha. Great bikes! I had a 2013 xc previously while I was in North Carolina. I hope you get back to riding soon!

I think managed to attach a picture at the toys for tots ride... Ill see if it worked once I post.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0699[1].jpg  
Old 12-13-2016, 09:35 PM   #4
garfey
Forum Supporter

Old 12-14-2016, 02:57 PM   #5
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

Welcome to the site!

If you head up to the SHNF, I would recommend staying on paved or unpaved roads, but staying OFF the trails. First, you need an OHV sticker to ride the trails. But more importantly, the Tiger is a BIG bike and the SHNF trails can be very sandy and/or muddy with lots of tree roots. Not exactly the kind of terrain that bike is designed to handle, especially if you still have the stock tires on it. Riding the trails on it might result in nasty injuries to you and the bike. Of course, if you are an exceptionally good dirt rider, go for it I've seen riders do amazing things on the big bikes.

There are a lot of fun dirt roads once you start getting North of Hwy 105. If you are on the East side of I-45, you will encounter more sand. On the West side, there is more gravel/dirt. There are also numerous little narrow paved county roads that are fun.

Total Forum Supporter Donations For January: $539.51 - Previous Month: $933.06 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 139 Current Forum Supporters out of 20119 Users (0.69%)
Support TWT by shopping at Amazon

The number one rule for this forum!
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Tourmeister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 03:41 PM   #6
dukey33

Howdy and welcome from just down the road.

And thank you for your service.
dukey33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 10:33 AM   #7
julimike54
Forum Supporter

& enjoy!
Old 12-15-2016, 10:54 PM   #8
CUnger

You need an OHV even if you pay the fee?! :,( confusing stuff.... I wanted to see what the place was about and get back to a somewhere where I could practice some power slides again! ;D I am on stock tires though.... and the little I have done, has been terrible when the pavement ends and feels like ice on mud.. as soon as I get back to working after school, tires are the first thing to go if I need them or not! Over all though I am wanting some place to stretch out the suspension with out getting a ticket. Ill look into those spots though. Thank you all for your welcome! I am excited to be back in a community like this again!
Old 12-16-2016, 04:01 AM   #9
Rydah

Welcome aboard. If you're in SE Houston, come join us sometime on a Wednesday night:

http://twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8064&page=339
2015 Yamaha FJ-09
Rydah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 08:07 AM   #10
jfink
Forum Supporter

Welcome to the site. There are plenty of places to test out that suspension, but as Scott (Tourmeister) says, avoid the trails in SHNF, that Tiger is just to big for that. Yes, you will need an annual OHV sticker ($15 for Sept to Sept) as well as a daily or annual parking pass to use the trailhead parking. However, some of the loops in the area will be plenty enough to get you excited.

Cheeseburger Loop (dirt roads through the forest and long stretches of gravel)

Fayetteville Loop (dirt roads and a couple of water crossings if you want)

Crockett National Forest Loop (a couple of good forest roads and some sand)

SETEX 200 (sand, and mud if it rains, did I mention sand?)

Oh, and by the way, be careful if you EVER follow that Rydah (Rob) guy. Great guy to be around and he will say things like "ah, we'll take things easy". But he is an extremely good rider and easy for him has tested my limits more than once. As Rob mentioned, try to make it down to the Clear Lake Group, great group of people.

Good luck.

Politics definition - Poli; many, Tics; blood sucking creatures.

'04 Goldwing (all states, except Hawaii, all provinces except Nunavut)
'08 KLR 650 (685 Kit)
'11 KTM 990 Dakar (all 23 countries in South, Central and North America)
'14 KTM 500 Exc

Where I have ridden
jfink is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 01:17 PM   #11
CUnger

Good information! Thank you! I am going to have to try those out during my Christmas break! I am up for a challenge just dont mind me if I fall behind when riding with Rydah.... We would be happy to come out on Wednesday, are these two-up friendly rides haha?
Old 12-16-2016, 04:23 PM   #12
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

Quote:
Originally Posted by CUnger View Post
...are these two-up friendly rides haha?
If you are an experienced dirt rider, maybe, depending on your bike.

I've often done (lead) some of these kinds of rides with either my son (10) or daughter (12) with me on my 1200 GS. I am usually running TKC 80 tires though. I don't run crazy speeds.

Depending on the weather and if I can get the day free, I'll likely do a DS ride from Huntsville up to Crockett for the Pie Run at the end of the month. If I do, I am sure one of the kids will be riding with me.

Total Forum Supporter Donations For January: $539.51 - Previous Month: $933.06 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 139 Current Forum Supporters out of 20119 Users (0.69%)
Support TWT by shopping at Amazon

The number one rule for this forum!
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Tourmeister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 04:51 PM   #13
CUnger

It would be worth a try! Worst case we have to go slow.... or go back :p I am descent off road but still getting used to a heavier bike on the dirt. It is always fun though, just a bit differnt!
Old 12-29-2016, 02:12 PM   #14
Hemibee

Welcome to TWT. Plenty of places around to put your Tiger thru a good workout.

You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me.

2004 KTM 450 EXC
2001 Triumph Tiger - "Black Betty" - Gone
2013 Triumph Tiger 800XC - Jessica

"Male menopause is a lot more fun than female menopause. With female menopause you gain weight and get hot flashes. Male menopause - you get to date young girls and drive motorcycles." John Wayne
Hemibee is offline   Reply With Quote