• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

92 Suzuki DR350SE

35733007163_1174d97a0f_b.jpg

36404440891_ed3f8f4e6f_b.jpg

quick update: swapped a dirt rear bar & cash for pillion pegs. The old community x-ring chain replaced a worn chain. SE rear bar from cheap big box of parts. Next up will be handlebars & grips. F-caliper needs attention, carb is loading up & got an oil drip to track down.

36007447174_1144b5c5bd_c.jpg

pinpointed the oil drip to the output shaft seal, replaced it.
new pads appear to have fixed the f-brake performance & noise.

It is nice to see this thread. I ended up with a 92 dr350s last week. The bike is pretty rough, been outside for a while, but it is all there except for the right hand side cover.

I haven't got it started yet, but I did finally get fire at the plug. I pulled the valve covers tonight, and will set the valves tomorrow. I ordered some misc parts today/carb kit/ throttle cables etc.

The compression is good, I can barely kick it through after the compression release pops back. I wish it had the magic button!!! I hope that I don't have to tear into the engine.

Your bike definitely looks better than mine!

Great bikes. Good at nothing, bad at nothing. My son is about to head up the Mexican Riviera on a 2200 mile road trip from Zihuatanejo to Phoenix. This is him in Guanajuato.

21587135_10213356845850152_3118992281070508183_o.jpg

It is nice to see this thread. I ended up with a 92 dr350s last week. The bike is pretty rough, been outside for a while, but it is all there except for the right hand side cover.

I haven't got it started yet, but I did finally get fire at the plug. I pulled the valve covers tonight, and will set the valves tomorrow. I ordered some misc parts today/carb kit/ throttle cables etc.

The compression is good, I can barely kick it through after the compression release pops back. I wish it had the magic button!!! I hope that I don't have to tear into the engine.

Your bike definitely looks better than mine!
inspect the rockers & cam as well as you can from the valve cover holes for scoring.
if you need any parts or help, let me know
good luck

Re: 92 Suzuki DR350SE / I won round 1 !!!

Well I finished what I started yesterday evening on the DR350s. After draining no less than 2 gallons of oil out of the little DR, I adjusted the valves and checked the decompression lever freeplay. I added the 1.8 quarts of oil...not the gallons that were in it. The poor thing sounded like it was gurgling with the spark plug out of it.

I verified spark once again, it was good. I put the tank on...and proceeded to hike my leg up to kick this little beast....

1, 2, 3, 4, nothing. Verified the choke and backed off the idle screw again.
1, 2 it started!!! Ran about 15 seconds and died...

I kicked it again and it started 1st kick. I ran it for a few minutes and readjusted the idle to run with the choke/fuel enricher off. No tail pipe smoke and it sounded decent. I started it again and videoed it to prove that it at least ran today!

Now I will put some rubber on it (tires are rotten), and the handful of new parts I ordered. And it needs some serious beautification.

This thread makes me happy. I love when someone takes a bike and gives it some love after years of abuse and neglect.

Today, I actually rode the little DR around my parking lot at my shop. I removed the carb and installed a kit that I had ordered (I had done a quick o-ring replacement to get it started originally a few days ago). Corrected the idle mixture screw which was originally at 2 1/4. Starts now on second kick cold. First kick hot.

I need to start a thread to show the progress and not hijack this one!!! :rider:

Craig

92 DR350S (Which shall be called piglet)
2011 KLR 650 (Is called Thing)
1999 Valkyrie Interstate (Road Pig)

Last edited:
Today, I actually rode the little DR around my parking lot at my shop. I removed the carb and installed a kit that I had ordered (I had done a quick o-ring replacement to get it started originally a few days ago). Corrected the idle mixture screw which was originally at 2 1/4. Starts now on second kick cold. First kick hot.

I need to start a thread to show the progress and not hijack this one!!! :rider:

Craig

92 DR350S (Which shall be called piglet)
2011 KLR 650 (Is called Thing)
1999 Valkyrie Interstate (Road Pig)
thats great progress

36883083840_a73655f20a_b.jpg

big clarke tank

36883087530_a0468982c9_b.jpg

sizing up the petcock

36883082780_5e651ef6fa_c.jpg

smooth line path

37296416521_5b7bcbcc7d_b.jpg

the clarke tank is from adammtb, petcock is a new yamaha 2GU-24500-02-00, free viton gasket material from brianpeck.

i trimmed the seat bracket corners, they were touching the tank.

had a drip from petcock to tank, used the viton to seal.

should have decent range now.

also pulled off the handlebar blocks & installed stock guards

If Suzuki produced a duplicate of that bike today I think it would still sell well. Very excellent at its intended purpose. Perfect for my SR D/S needs.

And it's a 6 speed, why did the Z400 get cheated out of a 6th gear, SMH.

Back