• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

New Member Intro post

Reaction score
So I'm new here. I've always wanted to tour the back roads of the US on a bike and see the "less traveled" roads out there.

I recently got a 2009 Versys and once I get some skills (I'm pretty new to riding) I intend to make it fire road ready for my adventures.

The class will be great. Don't get discouraged by the other smaller lighter bikes out running around. The Versys is can be used off pavement even in stock form. Especially when you consider what kind of dual sport riding the majority of Texas has is graded dirt/gravel roads.

I'd throw on some real metal skid protection and some Shinko 804/805 big bike knobbies and call it good :)

Woodbutcher, thanks for the links. I've been searching through the forums looking at the rides and such. So far, I'm still too "scared" to try and get more than 5 miles from my garage. The Hico ride might be a chance for me to get out and actually ride, but I don't think I will trust my skills by then.

Downs, I plan to get something like the K60 scout tires eventually for the tires. I want a skid plate, but since I managed to drop the bike (my 2009 versys) while test riding the thing, I'm still pretty nervous about dropping the bike. My first MOD will be engine guard followed by heated grips.

When I dropped the bike/wrecked, I had stopped at a stop sign, waited for a car to pass, then started to make a left turn and the rear wheel went out from under me. Bike fell on its left side/clutch side which broke the foot peg and the plate the foot peg attaches to. I think my problem there was the only riding I had done prior was on a 1981 Yamaha SR185 which weighs about 1/3 as much as the Versys so I wasn't "ready" to handle the weight of the bigger bike.

I did a ton of miles close to home before I ventured out. Don't rush it. I do stuff now that I used to "think" about all the time. You never stop learning, but you do get comfortable the basics.

If I was you I'd look for a good basic training course. That will serve as a refresher course and help break bad habits picked up over the years and help ease you up to speed! I've been riding since I was 14. There was a time that I didn't ride (quite a while), when I got back into riding that's what I did and it had the added benefit of a discount to insurance costs :)

Back