• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

3 Medina County 250 Adventure Motorcycle Ride - Saturday, 1/20/18-Castroville, Texas

Sander...i have downloaded the .kml file you have supplied , and I can view it in my google maps app on my phone (thanks).. my question is, will this run as a real time navigation track, or is it only intended to be viewed as a map only.

I have a Garmin but it's an old cheapie and I can't upload .gpx files to it. (On the purchase list)

Thanks Brian

Brian,

Hopefully someone with more knowledge that I can help. I went to google maps and uploaded the GPX to get the map. I don't know about functionality after that other interactivity on the computer screen.

I just use the GPX for my old Garmin 76CSx. I don't have any experience with KMLs, someone asked for it one time so I include the availability each time.

I did a little recon on the way home from Church. The Medina river crossing is dry, so no green slime drama like KoryJ captured last year on his great video.

39690858201_d0f21953af_o.jpg

Medina County 250 2017 - YouTube

I hate I’m going to have to miss this year. My kiddos have Stock Show that weekend. My dad MonteJay will be there. I’ll have to send him with the camera equipment. Hope everyone has a great and safe weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brian,

Hopefully someone with more knowledge that I can help. I went to google maps and uploaded the GPX to get the map. I don't know about functionality after that other interactivity on the computer screen.

I just use the GPX for my old Garmin 76CSx. I don't have any experience with KMLs, someone asked for it one time so I include the availability each time.

T.y. this is why I need to get a new Garmin so I can load up the gpx's. Need to slow down the spending. CC. has been quite impressive the last couple of months :eek:

Some Sidewinders will be there again. We have made both previous ones and finished both. Nice job Sander on the route and thanks for setting things up.

The weather looks promising and my steed is up and running finely so I plan to be there Saturday. Hope I can find someone that has the route and that I can follow at a reasonable rate. Too much speed on rough roads seems to shake things apart. Looking forward to a great day. - Bill

I was down as a strong maybe but now put me down as definitely!
Suspension upgrades all done and bike is ready to go. I’ll be there Saturday morning!!!
I loaded my Garmin gps with the latest routes for this ride so I should be able to find my way...lol!
See you all there!

Looks like I'm in on this. 20 min from the house I can't pass this up.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Sander...i have downloaded the .kml file you have supplied , and I can view it in my google maps app on my phone (thanks).. my question is, will this run as a real time navigation track, or is it only intended to be viewed as a map only.

I have a Garmin but it's an old cheapie and I can't upload .gpx files to it. (On the purchase list)

Thanks Brian

I would recommend getting a cheap gps app for your phone that will allow you to import .gpx files. That way you'll have offline nav capabilities, in case you lose your cell signal.

I would recommend getting a cheap gps app for your phone that will allow you to import .gpx files. That way you'll have offline nav capabilities, in case you lose your cell signal.

I recommend Pocket Earth. It is a free app to use, I have payed for the offline Topo maps. But for this ride shouldn’t be needed unless you want it. I have used this app extensively including the NMBDR and highly recommend it. It has tracking along with following a track. If you decide to use it and have any questions about it private message me and I can help you out. You can search online and convert the google map to a gpx file. Or I can email you one if you need.

Last edited:
Galileo pro I recommend it’s like $3 bucks runs offline and can do turn by turn

Mudslide, kory, gourdhead ... Thanks for the guidance. Will do. It just occurred to me that I actually may already have one loaded on my phone that I may be able to do something with. It's called Maps.me. otherwise will get something that works with .gpx by weeks end

in an effort to not clutter up sanders thread more than i already have, i will just add this commit. I have downloaded the kml tract to the maps.me app on my android phone. The maps.me will not do a turn by turn nav on a downloaded tract that keeps you on the tract but dues allow the compass map following. in other words, you just follow the blue trail and the map app will keep your location centered in the proper orientation so you know that in a certain instance, ie: a left turn would be south and so on . i have all these maps downloaded already in this app so i dont want to start over. in the future, i will have a new Garmin with the sd card support so i can just plug and play (at least i think that how this works :shrug:)

Last edited:
I use Osmand+ and it's gpx friendly.

Dave, I noticed your sig with an '06 Dakar, I just bought one as well. 5300 miles on it. Let's ride.

Been out of the motorcycles for a while now, 2 floods in 18 months. Minor flooding during the tax day and lost everything during Harvey with 5 ft in my house for 2 days. Lost my YZ, my old Dakota 4x4, Z06 Vette, half of my guns with 15k rounds of ammo along with the contents of my house.

Let's do it and let's talk. I've been busy making mine a bit more dirt worthy. :rider:

I use an app called Scenic by MotoMappers the file downloaded well and calculated the route.

HEADCOUNT For 3rd Medina County 250 Adventure Motorcycle Ride-Saturday,1/20/18

HEADCOUNT(27)
sander... from your thread i'm thinking headcount so far (mas y menos).

Quote...I heard of roughly 15-20 additional attendees that plan on riding.

1. stromxtc
  2. texas mud taco
  3. dannyboy
  4. hambone
  5. reno
  6. kingham
  7. bulfrog
  8. kman
  9. elmeano
  10. grimsweeper
  11. leander
  12. rgvwheeler
  13. montejay
  14. sanderjavant
  15. ruffrider
  16. builtea
  17. jdsmetx
  18. gordhead
  19. mudslick
  20. wick
  21. my6
  22. ad8867
  23. tgtumbleweed
  24. jwaller
  25. William Wolfen
  26. jt
  27. SpiritAtBay

Last edited:
The weather looks promising and my steed is up and running finely so I plan to be there Saturday. Hope I can find someone that has the route and that I can follow at a reasonable rate. Too much speed on rough roads seems to shake things apart. Looking forward to a great day. - Bill

So far, so good. I'm most likely going to make it out with my Ural. I'm thinking I'll be solo on the Ural as my daughter's not all that interested in spending that much time in the cold sidecar.

So, Bill, we could ride together. I'll make sure to have the route programmed into my phone and I'll go at a rate to keep our bikes from falling apart. On that thought, we should get there early and head out on the ride early.

StromXTc said "...believe i saw on another thread where S.A.B. was not going to make it..."

Rumors! Unfounded confabulations!

JT and I will be there.

TGTUMBLEWEED, glad you are gunna make it.

StromXTc said "...believe i saw on another thread where S.A.B. was not going to make it..."

Rumors! Unfounded confabulations!

JT and I will be there.

TGTUMBLEWEED, glad you are gunna make it.

That's great! I apologize, thought I read somewhere that jt said that y'all had other obligations, but makes no difference one way or another. Looks like there is going to be a huge turnout!

Last edited:

I'm hoping to go, and always happy to ride with you You are bringing the extra gas can.. right? Mad Hammish a bit "range challenged".. :doh:
I'll try to keep up with you..

What time you planning on getting to Castroville?

Last edited:
Back