• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Big Bend in Late February

Reaction score
First Name
David
Me, Uncle Buck, and Brian (not sure if he has a screen name here) are planning on heading to the land of eternal sunshine, aka Big Bend. I'll be leaving the DFW area Friday morning, Feb 23 and returning March 1. I'm trailering and maybe taking both bikes (see signature). Camping is also very likely for me. UncleBuck and Brian are more likely to hotel it, but are also trailering. I think.

People with pleasant dispositions are welcome to join us on this adventure. :sun:

People with pleasant dispositions are welcome to join us on this adventure. :sun:

Crap ...

I've looked at my work schedule and this is possible.
I will have to work on my attitude, though.

So is this a big bike trek or a smaller bike adventure?
I doubt I'll have my DRZ plated by then.
So I'm relegated to the Austrian Goddess of horsepower.

Last edited:
What type of riding do you plan on doing? If it's primarily dirt/trail I maybe able to make it over the weekend. Riding XR650R.

I might consider taking the Strom and DRZ in the trailer and camp. Maybe get in 2 or 3 days of riding.

Crap ...

I've looked at my work schedule and this is possible.
I will have to work on my attitude, though.

So is this a big bike trek or a smaller bike adventure?
I doubt I'll have my DRZ plated by then.
So I'm relegated to the Austrian Goddess of horsepower.

I've got a big and little bike. I'll probably bring both. Uncle Buck has an Africa Twin, so he's bringing that. Brian is renting something. v-strom is what he thought he'd get. So I say its going to be a large bike event. There is plenty of good riding, both paved and dirt there that is friendly to the big bikes. Plus the roads on the ranch aren't too challenging, especially for anything from Austria.

I'd like to do this sort of like the Christmas thing is done. We'll get together in the morning at the Chili Pepper restaurant for breakfast and group up there.

My thought right now is to camp. Depending on weather.

Maybe we'll adjust the "pleasant disposition" to simply an "agreeable disposition". :mrgreen:

There is lots to do in the Big Bend area.

What type of riding do you plan on doing? If it's primarily dirt/trail I maybe able to make it over the weekend. Riding XR650R.
Did you read the op's second paragraph [emoji12] [emoji12] [emoji12]

There's a good chance I'll be in the neighborhood around then. I'll keep my eye on this thread and the dates...

I'm really jonesing for more time in Big Bend Ranch SP. It's a beautiful ride over there from Study Butte (or down from Marfa on Casa Piedra), and the bunkhouse is cozy enough - or ya'll can camp it. Trouble is fuel unless someone trailers in some jerrycans.

Can I just promise to be of agreeable disposition while around others? My wife says I have EOG (Early Onset Grumpiness). "Pleasant" might be a bridge too far...

Now that we've downgraded to just agreeable disposition. I'm interested. We'll see how work commitments go but I'd like to make this if I can.

(also in DFW...will probably take 2 bikes and will likely trailer down and camp)

Now that we've downgraded to just agreeable disposition. I'm interested. We'll see how work commitments go but I'd like to make this if I can.

(also in DFW...will probably take 2 bikes and will likely trailer down and camp)

Hoping your schedule works out! [emoji1360]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where would the best place to camp be ?

I camped at Big Bend resorts and adventures (432-371-2218). A popup site (includes electricity and water, no sewer) was $29 a night during Christmas. There is also a hotel there, so it makes it easy for a mixed group (hotel and camp) to be in close proximity.

This is the only place I have camped down there, so I'm not qualified to speculate on which is the best campground. Its just the one I know of. It seemed reasonably nice to me. Showers and bathrooms were convenient. They charge for showers, but the water was plentiful and hot.

Sounds good. Would the standard tank on the DRZ be enough fuel if a day or so was off-road. Would extra fuel packs be needed ?

Sounds good. Would the standard tank on the DRZ be enough fuel if a day or so was off-road. Would extra fuel packs be needed ?

I'm not sure. And its right to ask because there aren't gas stations at every turn of the corner. I do know that I had the stock tank on my WR the first 2 times I went there and it was adequate. The stock tank on the WR is 2.3 gallons (IIRC) and I had a 1 gallon rotopax that wasn't needed. But it was good to have it. You can borrow it if you would like (assuming I can find it).

On a stock tank, count on 75-80 miles full to reserve. Trail riding gets about 40mpg.

I had an issue with my stock tank and am in the process of installing an Acerbris 3.7 gallon tank.

It's a couple hundred bucks and adds a gallon capacity.

Last edited:
Thanks Mitch. Where are you getting a tank for that price ? One I saw listed that was well over 300.00. I had considered getting a 1.7 or 2 rotopax just in case.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07281BX2C/?tag=twowhetex-20

2KDRZ_08_Acerbis-XL.jpg

Last edited:
May just get a rotopax then. I haven't ridden this one far enough to see what the mileage will be. Just reading reviews, 40 to 60 or so. A 1.7 or 2 gallon rotopax would suite me.

Dahveed,
The resort sounds like the place to stay. Still need finish some on my trailer. I want to add several Etrac strips. Northern Tool has several things I am interested in to help complete the inside rigging. Thanks

May just get a rotopax then. I haven't ridden this one far enough to see what the mileage will be. Just reading reviews, 40 to 60 or so. A 1.7 or 2 gallon rotopax would suite me.

I think you'd be happier with a bigger tank , unless you would have other multiple uses for a rotopax. 3.7 gallons should be plenty for BBNP and you don`t have to worry with mounting it and carrying extra gas.

Containers, mounts, locks ... well over $100.

Beyond the tank leak, it was worth it to eliminate the vacuum petcock.

Back