• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

WR250R Thread

I have read about one other occurrence of this in the past. I think the person wound up getting a new pump.

That is starting to look like the solution. I sure can't find any pressure regulators for sale anywhere. When I pulled this off there was some foreign material in it and it doesn't seem to seal. I just assumed it was the fuel pump so replaced that with a pump off ebay. When this didn't work I thought since i had not had the chance to work on it for about 6 months that maybe the injector had plugged due to bad gas. Replaced that and no change.
Robert

The fuel pump failure issue on 2008 and some 2009 WR250R models is well documented. I would replace it with a new OEM unit.

2009_Dec042.jpg

Many WR folks with low miles have also complained how the rear swing arm pivot assembly has little if any grease in it and as a result is prematurely worn out.

RB

That is starting to look like the solution. I sure can't find any pressure regulators for sale anywhere. When I pulled this off there was some foreign material in it and it doesn't seem to seal. I just assumed it was the fuel pump so replaced that with a pump off ebay. When this didn't work I thought since i had not had the chance to work on it for about 6 months that maybe the injector had plugged due to bad gas. Replaced that and no change.
Robert

I have had an ebay pump in mine for several years now. In fact it has outlasted 2 OEM pumps mileage wise.

When my bike sits for an extended period of time it is always tough to start. I wind up cranking and cranking it wide open throttle before it starts. If it gets ridden regularly it always starts right up.

My bike currently has 20K miles on it.

Robert K:

My recollection is that some of the early WR 250R's had
issues with the fuel pump. I recall that Yamaha was replacing the fuel pumps under recall /warranty.

You might call your local Yamaha dealer to see if this is true.

Robert K:

My recollection is that some of the early WR 250R's had
issues with the fuel pump. I recall that Yamaha was replacing the fuel pumps under recall /warranty.

You might call your local Yamaha dealer to see if this is true.

That is correct. The new OEM fuel pumps have a good reputation. There is also an open recall campaign on the WR250R stator. Mine when new was charred black. The bike seemed to operate much better after the new stator was installed.

Basically the insulation on the stator coil, a component of the alternator, can become damaged and short circuit to due insufficient heat resistance. The free replacement took about 1 1/2 hours.

RB

OK, found the problem. It was the pressure regulator on the fuel pump assembly. The seal had failed and wouldn't let the pressure build. I borrowed one from a friend and it fired right up. So if anybody has replaced the fuel pump assembly and want to sell the regulator I'm in the market.
I've also done the stator recall. So I should be good to go now.

Just finished installing a few non-mechanic mods on my new-to-me '13 wr250r. I posted earlier about some hesitation when the engine is cold, and I am starting to ignore it, as two minutes of engine warm-up prior to riding seems to eliminate the problem. I am happy with the bike.

But, to be honest, i don't know how well the bike runs compared to how well it *should* run because I don't have a point of reference, i.e., a stock bike or a well-tuned bike. I'd like to be able to compare how my bike performs with those two reference points.

Any wfr250r owners in the DFW metroplex willing to get together and compare our motorcycles? There is a weekend coming up and I have some availability. Lunch is on me.

Just finished installing a few non-mechanic mods on my new-to-me '13 wr250r. I posted earlier about some hesitation when the engine is cold, and I am starting to ignore it, as two minutes of engine warm-up prior to riding seems to eliminate the problem. I am happy with the bike.

But, to be honest, i don't know how well the bike runs compared to how well it *should* run because I don't have a point of reference, i.e., a stock bike or a well-tuned bike. I'd like to be able to compare how my bike performs with those two reference points.

Any wfr250r owners in the DFW metroplex willing to get together and compare our motorcycles? There is a weekend coming up and I have some availability. Lunch is on me.

Taking a while to warm up is pretty normal. I am in Fort Worth but I am not available this weekend.

I am having an issue with the fuel from the extra vacuum pump "feeding" the stock electric pump now. It does not seem to be creating a good "pool" of fuel at the suction to the main fuel pump. When I originally installed it I tested things and they worked fine. But recently I ran low and there were issues and nearly stranded me. I guess that fuel line got moved or something.

I still think the 4.7 is a good option, particularly for long ADV trips when you are loaded up with gear. The little vacuum pumps are supposed to be bullet proof. If you go this way just make sure you have a robust solution for the "fuel feed" to the main fuel pump.

Finally got around to trouble shooting the fuel delivery issue in my IMS 4.7 gal tank. The vacuum pump has failed! About 10k miles on it. So those little pumps may not be bullet proof. Or I just got a bad one.

When I replace the pump I may put a valve on the vacuum line so I can only run the pump when reserve fuel is needed.

Lucky you! I been wanting to do the Go Race suspension for a while. Just need a kitchen pass.

Here is a question for you guys.

I have not seen a way to adjust the preload on the rear shock with out pulling the dang thing off the bike. Can't see how to get a wrench in there when on the bike.

Am I missing something??

Hammer and punch to adjust spring preload.

Yes, I have done that. When I load up with camping gear for a trip I have to move the preload from a lower setting all the way to almost full preload. Takes quite a bit to do by hammer and punch. Plus I see it messes up the ring.

It would be really nice to be able reach in there with a wrench.

Guys - Anyone have an OEM Shock that needs a new home?
I bought an 08 recently that needs one....

Newbie wanting a DS. I had the itch a few years ago and got rid of it but it's back again. Anyway, anyone in Huntsville area have a WR that I can look at? The local stores are out and I'd like to at least sit on one to see how well it fits.

Last edited:
So for the mechanically inclined, but no idea what I'm doing, how hard is it to swap the handlebars for a pro taper universal mount, CR high bend evo, with the HDB handguards? Looks straight forward but knowing me I'll glue stuff everywhere with the grips. Is it simple? Bought a ton of mods and this is the only one I'm hesitant on. Thanks!

I just bought a WR250R and am curious about your IMS fuel tank. I have noticed the larger adventure bikes with the larger fuel tanks have crash bars that go up around the fuel tank for protection. How tough is the IMS fuel tank should there be a fall? Thanks!

Last edited:
IMS tanks are tough. If you have the large 4.7 it will pretty much act as radiator guards.

I have the 3.0 gallon IMS tank and I love it. The form factor is very close to the OEM one and it allows me to retain the OEM tank shrouds. The larger 4.7 gallon tank protects the radiators well. There is no need for crash bars if you have either the larger IMS tank or some radiator guards. I love my wr250r!

I just bought a WR250R and am curious about your IMS fuel tank. I have notices the larger adventure bikes with the larger fuel tanks have crash bars that go up around the fuel tank. How safe is the IMS fuel tank should there be a fall? Thanks!

I had a 2008. I had an IMS 3.0 on it, plus many other mods. I have been seriously considering buying another one. I really miss that bike.

Just because, here are two pictures.

IMG_8201.jpg

2012-07-01_11-47-49_930.jpg

Just read about the production end of the WR250R. What type of effect do you think this will have on the used market?

Back