• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Get your motor runnin...

Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Last Name
Muxworthy
My 6 yoa Son is out of school so we are hitting the road for a few weeks headed West on the big bike. We hope to hit NM, Co, Ut, Az before heading home. We hope to be there for parts of the GDR.
Our plan & destination is to show this young Man some geological wonders. NO SCHEDULE, NO ITENERARY, Take it as it comes.
We will leave on the 5th or 6th.
Please point me to some can't miss sites and join us if you can...:pirate:

That's cool. I couldn't wait till the kiddo was old enough to go for rides, but now that he is, I'm hesitant to do so. Nice that you are able to do it and make it work.

Wow, those 4 states cover a lot of real estate. You're gonna have a blast. As far as must-see sites, it would probably help if you could provide a general route you intend to follow, and for how long. No sense recommending Rocky Mtn National Park if you'll only be in SW Colorado.

Since you're going to be both in AZ and UT, let me make this recommendation, if it fits generally where you'll be traveling. Visit the Grand Canyon - the North Rim, if you can make it. Less crowded, and 2,000 feet higher than the South Rim. When you cross into Utah, follow US 89. That'll take you right past Zion and Bryce Canyon NPs, which should be on anybody's bucket list. But even without those parks, 89 is simply a beautiful drive with some amazing national forest camping all along the way, if you happen to be tenting or RVing. If not, just enjoy the view.

If you're camping, and if you plan to stay in ANY national parks, make reservations! Park campgrounds are really crowded these days, and you're taking a huge risk if you show up unannounced. The Website is ReserveUSA.com.

Thanks Tim,
In order to see some of each state we will try to do Southern Utah & Northern Arizona, grand canyon, & several neat sandstone formations near here. Then Southern Co & NM. I think Ouray is about as far North as we will go.
Camp when we can & its nice outside. Air bnb when near a lot of sites so we can have a shower & kitchen. I've heard Rocky Mountain nat park is really neat too.

Thanks Tim,I've heard Rocky Mountain nat park is really neat too.

Yes, it's farther north and I hadn't previously ventured that far north in Colorado, but when I went two years ago, I wondered why I hadn't gone sooner.

Yes, it's farther north and I hadn't previously ventured that far north in Colorado, but when I went two years ago, I wondered why I hadn't gone sooner.

Yes sir,
We may have to stretch a little further North. Tons of stuff to see up there. Just don't want to cram too much into our timeslot. We want to keep it at a leisurely pace.

Totally understand. You could spend your entire time just in Colorado. I know, I did. :D

If you go to Rocky Mtn NP, be aware that it, like all NPs, is very crowded these days. Worse yet, the wait at the entrance can easily hit half an hour. Here's a secret for getting in, that I'm perfectly willing to share with TWTers; just please don't put it on social media. Here it is:

There are two entrances to RMNP from Estes Park. The main entrance, and where all the signs direct you, is at the west end of town on Hwy 36, Elkhorn Ave. Particularly on weekends, you'll fight your way through mobs of town traffic, then queue up for a long wait to get in. But the Fall River entrance, almost unknown, is at the east end of town. Right next to the McDonald's, take Hwy 34 (aka Wonderview Ave) north. You'll be at the Fall River entrance in about 10 minutes, and come in right next to the Aspenglen campground. For most of the attractions (ie Bear Lake, Alberta Falls), you'll have to drive the length of the park, but it's a great drive and you'll spend about as much time enjoying the scenery as you would have spent staring at the bumper of the SUV ahead of you at the main entrance.

Please don't put this info on Facebook!!! :nono:

tshelfer, feel free to share my tips.

1. Arrive around the end of September to the beginning of October.
2. Arrive at the opening of the day.
3. Take 34 from Loveland into the park.
4. Show up on a Thursday.

No worries about lines to get in or crowds. You might however, need to contend with this. :eek2: :giveup:

DSCN3083_zpstxcc3xkv.jpg

Thankfully while I was picture taking the inspection truck pulled in and they flipped the sign over to indicate the ice was gone and the roads actually looked like this. :D

DSCN3080_zpsncdgughf.jpg

Last edited:
Jason, I was there in early October last year, and was appalled by the crowds. When I commented at the main gate, the ranger said, "Welcome to the new Rocky Mountain National Park." I told her I liked the old one better. Unfortunately, I got there the week of Elkfest.

Strange, maybe because I was there on a Thursday, or the Elkfest, or both. I edited my above recommendations. Either way, that parking lot where the sign was had about six cars in it. I'll consider myself very lucky I guess.

Thanks for the tips. Much appreciated. Thats what I'm looking for. I can do crowds, but I prefer not to. I'll save RMNP for a less crowded time. Still tons of other stuff around there. Looking forward to Antelope canyon on Arizona and seeing Utah.

I just showed this post to my wife. It went down like this.
Me: See, I need to take Jakob on a
Her: NOPE!

Sigh.

I just showed this post to my wife. It went down like this.
Me: See, I need to take Jakob on a
Her: NOPE!

Sigh.

Ha.... yes sir......know that well. I'm just trying to ease her into a few trips before I get my Son a passport......then she can worry :brainsnap

A set of Butler Maps will tell you everything you need to know about the best roads. If you do come here, you definitely need to stay north. The north rim of the GC will be sufficient. It's going to be 110 in Phx tomorrow and it is only going to get hotter this summer.

Thanks for the info.
Planning this trip reminds me of my 1st trips to Mexico. Between my wife and her friends and mine I get the entire array of responses from Excellent, to your {€%~ crazy taking a kid..... One threatened to call CPS on me.
After thinking about it I need some info on helmet laws and child riding ages for these four states. Texas requires a rider to be at least 5 yoa.
Perhaps one of the books or maps mentioned has this info ?

I just got back from NM, Ariz, Utah and Co. Antelope Canyon will take a long time, it's guided. and crowded. Highlights of our trip and my 3 other trips to this area: Horseshoe bend since you are going to be in Page anyway and it's nearly in town and free, Wire Pass ( [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWtQqVSiwT4"]Wire Pass to Buckskin Gulch, Utah (Pics) - YouTube[/ame] ). That chock rocK at 23 seconds is about 7' high, but I climbed it at 69 YO. The slot is about 1/2 mile long. The only draw back to Wire Pass is the 11 mile ride down a dirt road to the well marked trailhead. I did it on an FZ1. Burr trail out of Boulder is paved for 20 miles and was the highlight of our trip as far as scenery for a long period. You'll be riding in a narrow slot canyon for nearly 20 miles. Continue 10 more miles after it turns into dirt and then backtrack to Boulder. The scenery on the dirt part is not to be missed. Hwy128 from Moab to Cisco is nearly as good as far as scenery and it has wonderful pavement. We hiked to Upper Calf Creek and I would skip that unless you are really amazed by tall waterfalls in the desert with low volume. there are 2 other Calf Creek falls on the same creek. The scenic drive (that's the name of the road) out of Fruita was beautiful but crowded. Grand View in Canyonlands NP near Moab is good and the ride out passes Mesa Arch and Dead Horse Point. Texas T likes Canyon de Chelly and so do I. Be aware that Indian Rt 7 is dirt from Ft Defiance until you get to the first turn off to a scenic overlook, about 20 miles. Enter from Chinle and it's all paved. I'm going to go against the grain on the North rim of the Grand Canyon. True, there are fewer people, but there are very few view points unless you have off road capabilities, so each viewpoint is very crowded. Go there if you have never gone to the Grand Canyon and don't intend to go to the south rim later. My favorite ride in Colorado is 141 from Naturita to Grand Junction. 145 is also great, and everyone knows about 550. My third favorite ride in Co is 149. If you go to Rocky Mountain NP, ride my second favorite road in Co, Poudre Canyon. Pronounced Pooter Canyon.

Doug, since you live in Normangee, you might enjoy coming to dinner with me and some of my riding friends. I'll have pictures from my recent trip and maybe my 2 riding partners will show up. We're going to C&J BBQ on Texas Ave in Bryan at around 6:30. Kid friendly. Wednesday night 5/31.

Back