• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

new to me 2011 GSX1250FA

Reaction score
I just purchased this and curious if anyone here has any thoughts on how different it truly is from a Bandit? I am assuming that in my search for farkles etc that they are pretty much interchangeable?

As a KLR owner I am surprised how little info I can find on the webs about this bike.

Just cosmetics and name is what I've been hearing. Chassis, running gear, engine all same thing.

You have more plastic and different headlights. You have gauges with more features. I believe yours also has dual cooling fans and/or a larger radiator, which were needed because of the full fairings. Those are the differences.

IMHO, the GSX1250F was Suzuki's very poor attempt at making a bike to compete with the sport touring market. It wasn't enough bike to compete with the FJR, ST, or the Concours. It also didn't draw any Bandit owners into upgrading because there wasn't enough changes to justify the premium price. To top it off, they choose that long awful non-flowing model number for the name instead of going with a name that was easily remembered and recognized. It didn't come as a surprise that they sold very poorly.

On the positive side of things, you own the Cadillac of Bandits.

The 1250 bandit has a 685 page Service Manual, from what I can find on the net, they've only brought out a 13 page supplement for the GSX - so there is not too much difference mechanically.

BossMaverick, I think your spot on.

So far I am very happy with the bike including what I paid for 2011 with 2k on the clock. I think I'll start referring to it as a "Tuxedo Bandit".

I believe the front fork springs have also been upgraded slightly over the original Bandit ones! :)

I have no problem touring on mine. Comfortable for an all day (6+ hours) ride. I am not sure what the Fjr or the concours offers that the GSX doesn't. I have never really looked at them. But this bike is awesome and fun to ride. Plus, I think it looks better than the others.
20150401_144001_zpssai9rdle.jpg

Same here, planning on going to Montreal (288 miles from where I live) great bike to tour on:-P
gIN.jpg

I have no problem touring on mine. Comfortable for an all day (6+ hours) ride. I am not sure what the Fjr or the concours offers that the GSX doesn't. I have never really looked at them. But this bike is awesome and fun to ride. Plus, I think it looks better than the others.
20150401_144001_zpssai9rdle.jpg

Can't speak about the FJR but the my Concours is more comfortable than my Bandit. Better wind protection(electric windshield and bigger), better ergonomics(less knee bend), more horsepower( but not as much top speed) more features( traction control- shaft drive-heated grips-better Gage's(more info)-smoother ride.

The Bandit is easier to ride hard, it wheelies, drifts when I push it out of the corners, might be the 170lbs difference in weight. 2nd season on the Concours and the Bandit is still in my garage for those days I need it( couldn't bring myself to sell it).

Last edited:
after putting about 1000 miles on I am very happy with my choice. I wanted something along the sport touring vein with emphasis on the sport side. I am not likely to do much, if any, long distance touring.

After putting 1k miles on your bike make sure you check your tire pressure. One day I was riding home from work and the front was really hard to turn (I thought it was my Scotts Performance Steering Damper) but it was because my front tire psi was 14!!!, I'm surprised I made it home

Last edited:
I just returned from AZ where I rented a '12 FJR for some touring around Phoenix and Prescott. The power adjustable screen was very cool, but, wow, I didn't like the rest of the bike. On the highway, the vibration was so bad, my hands went numb after about 25 minutes. Seat was stock and really not comfortable. Power seemed underwhelming compared to my '07 Bandit, but I do have Holeshot mods. It was a rental also, and perhaps hadn't been well treated.
Was pretty happy to get home and back on the Bandit.

Back