• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Advice getting dowel pin out of case

Reaction score
Bought a case of ebay for my xr4 and I need to get this dowel pin out of it because my right case already has one. I plugged the open end of the hole and squirtedLiquid wrench in there to try and free it up and let it sit for two days now, but despite my efforts of two needle nose pliers pulling on it the thing won't budge. Do any of yall have any advice for getting this thing out? I don't think the dowel pin is threaded but I have tried turning it

5efe277f4b6a07bc494ff030f122bb5e.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Can you get to it from the other side ? Its got to come out if its spinning . A little heat wont hurt but I would think you should be able to get it out without heat.

I can't get to it from the other side.

It's really in there. I set a candle underneath it and that doesn't seem to be doing much. Still no movement when I go back at it with the pliers

As a last resort I would try getting as good of a bite as you can with some beefy needle-nose pliers and then try to twist the pin to get it to partially collapse on itself. Hopefully that will free up any places that corrosion has glued together and then you can get it the rest of the way out.

It goes without saying that this will destroy the pin, and I would also be very careful not to distort the pocket that the pin lives in or you might be in for some leaks down the road if the new gasket doesn't fill the voids.

I thought of that but I was afraid of doing exactly what you mentioned and deforming the pocket its in.

I think the dowel pin is probably steel and the case is aluminum so i think the case will give before the dowel pin does

Warm the case and chill the pin. Have you tried needle nose vise grips and a pry bar on the grips? Also keep in mind the pin has to come straight out, otherwise it will bind up. I guess you've been turning the pin. If you can turn it use a vice grip to get hold of it, as turning lift up on the nose of the vg with a pry bar and keep working up in that manner.

Will a candle provide enough heat you think?

Candle won't do it, no. Propane torch might. The kind you get for quick plumbing repairs at Lowe's.

Is there anything I can soak the whole case in that might free up that corrosion?

All good advise. I would find a bolt or solid rod to insert so as not to crush the hollow dowel. I would then use a torch to heat the case and then grab the dowel with vise grips and try to turn it. Then pull upward as you turn.

The only other thing ing you can try if you have the means is to tap the inside and then use a slide hammer or fashion a puller to remove it.

I would try these before caving in the dowel.

Use a propane torch found in the plumbing section at a hardware store. Get a can of air duster. The kind used to clean keyboards and such. Heat the area around the pin with the torch. Then, turn the can of air duster upside down and spray the pin. Watch out. The air duster is instantly freezing when sprayed upside down. Now, grab the pin with a pair of needle nose vise grips and twist/pull straight out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

If you do not need that dowel pin, just crush it with pliers against the case and remove (protect the case from damage). the idea is to "fold" one side IN toward the center.. not squish both sides of the "circle" into an oval as that effectively makes the pin larger ID and can damage the case.
if you're trying to save the pin, heat the case with a propane torch .. get the case HOT.. your safe to an easy 900F or so.. and then use quality pliers with good sharp teeth (cheaper ones or well used, and your find those "teeth" to be rounded over and not grab well at all)
I use one of these
attachment.php
because Im lazy and its so darn easy to remove stuck pins with this Motion Pro Tool.

Attachments

• XHCQIWAQUN5JGONK-product-large.jpg
    XHCQIWAQUN5JGONK-product-large.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 239
Last edited:
how about just pulling the dowel out of your case and keeping that one?

Back