• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Kent PowerSports, San Antonio

OK, so the story goes: Bike is still under the 1 year man warranty. It has a pretty serious idle problem when really cold. I've been complaining about this problem since the first service at 600 miles, and every time I've stopped in there.

Bike starts fine, runs fine, until we get really cold (I define that as freezing or below, my bike thinks that in the ~45 or below area).

OM states (on page 21) "When the segment begins to move above the C (Cold) mark, the engine is warm enough for the motorcycle to be ridden." Dealer told me to idle until it was fully warmed up before riding. I told them they were nutz, this is a fuel injected motor, and that's just silly. Not doing it. Had to bring out the manual and show them to be believed.

So I ride to work, 37.5 miles,park, and the thing is idling at 2750 RPM. Which is the lowest it's idled on this particular ride. Many times this has happened to me now. Fire it up, idle until the gauge moves (which is about how long it takes me to gear up and check the lights), take off, come to a stop a ways up the road, and the idle will sit at 4000 RPM (the worst one), with the temp gauge showing fully warmed up. I think it's dangerous having no control over the engine speed. Idling along at 40 MPH, riding with the brakes on just to stay within speed limits.

I left the bike with them a whole week, they couldn't duplicate the high idle. Despite specific directions on how to. You have to RIDE the thing. If you let it sit, it won't do it. I told them if they couldn't duplicate it, it's because they didn't try. When they failed, I told them fine, I would fix it. They then stated they'd void the warranty if I did. What?? You're not going to do your job, so I have to, and now you're going to make me out to be the bad guy? I know what the problem is, I CAN fix it, I have the skills, and since you won't do your job, I have to. I'm the one riding and suffering with this. Nope, I'm a bad man for trying to fix my problem.

After stopping by 4 times, with 4 different videos (on my stupid phone - which is hard as heck to do and still ride), they finally acknowledge there's a problem, and say they're going to fix it. Most likely, I won't know if they actually do fix it until next winter. I'm dropping it off today (Friday), and they'll have it for two+ full weeks to troubleshoot and fix.

So that's why this started, and I wrote a rather mean report on them for this. That's why I did what I did on the first post.

I don't believe they're bad people, just not willing to do what was necessary in my case, to find, prove, and fix a problem. I still think it's crazy I 1) have had to suffer through this, and 2) have to prove my case over and over to get something done.

Once the 1 year warranty and 3 year service stuff is over, they'll never see me again. I've had about enough. Color me as one very unhappy customer.

Two weeks?
It's a long time to fix it, hope they can do it. I would follow up and not wait the full two weeks.
Good luck.

Do you have to go to Kent's if we are talking the manu warranty? Maybe you should talk to Alamo and see what they say, even if just for a 2nd opinion?

No, I'm out of town for two weeks, so I figured giving it to them provided me a convenient storage area where the wife doesn't have to worry about it, and them more than enough time to figure it out and fix it. :)
Do you have to go to Kent's if we are talking the manu warranty? Maybe you should talk to Alamo and see what they say, even if just for a 2nd opinion?
From what I can gather, there are only 2 places in SA that honor the Honda warranty, and Kent is only a couple miles from me. The other is on the opposite side of town.

Back