• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Barnwell Mountain

Last time I was out there most of the trails had eroded out to where there were all these shear ledges on so called class 2 trails. I had a bunch of novice riders with me, and there really wasn't much class 2 left on the place. So while me and the grandkids are looking for true class 2 trails, my son went and attacked the jeep ledges on one of my bikes. Next time I go to ride that bike, the clutch was so burned out it would slip at any throttle setting. That was about the end of my desires to ride at Barnwell. Judging by the condition of the trail network, they seem to cater to the rock crawlers more than the trail bikes.

I'm a member and go out there quite a bit with my 4x4, and used to ride the single track on my bike a few years ago. The 4x4 trails really aren't fun for motorcycles, but the single track mc loop is absolutely a blast. I just need some other people to go so I'm not riding alone.

Donny, I'm guessing it has been a while since you were out there. Also, was it a 2 diamond for bikes or was it for OHVs?

I know there is a group of guys local to the park that are there every other Saturday Morning, but I really don't know them other than being on the board with a few of them.

You are correct. I was out there 2 years ago and haven't been back since. We weren't on any diamond trails. We were attempting to find easy trails for the grandkids to ride. Each trail that purported to be an easy trail had eroded to the point of having big raw rock ledges on the steeper inclines. Not a big deal if your a good rider on a real dirt bike like my 511 Husky. But for a kid on a mini cycle or a lady who is just starting to ride, this was no where near an easy trail. You could tell that many of the trails had started out as easy, but years of riding and erosion had degenerated them into a whole other animal. What was left was to for the greener riders to enjoy was fractured portions of certain trails. My boy went and found the double diamonds and promptly trashed the clutch leaping up 3 foot jeep ledges all day. I just didn't find much evidence that the place cares about the bike riders experience. It was kind of a "there the trails are, & it is what it is. Who cares what it might have started out like. Today it just is what it is" I completely agreed, it was indeed what it was. A dilapidated unkept mess of a trail system that once upon a time in the past was suited well for riders of all calibers.

Back