• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Registration woes

For an example.

Lets say your tags expire in June.

Can you get tags in the month prior before they expire (May), like before?

The inspection expires in June also, will you have to have an inspection prior to getting new tags?

Ugh, just wasted an hour in the Mesquite office of the State Comptroller after buying a car today. Information told me it was all in order, checked the previous owners inspection and registration and sent me to the end of the line.

After the hour, the lady refused to transfer the title. She said I had to first have it inspected. I showed her proof with the actual sticker (both registration and inspection are good through 09/15). She would not budge and said go get and inspection and bring the paper back through the 1 hour line.

Does that make sense? I am inspecting a car before it is mine. And to do that I need insurance but I don't have that until it is my car? Think I will call the insurance guy anyway.

This is a mess now that registration is tied to inspection.

You're keeping the old license? No, that doesn't make sense to me at all. I've bought numerous vehicles and not had to do that, as long as the old plates came with the vehicle. You might try calling a tax office and see what they tell you.

I called the local tax office before I went to the one in my county and they said the current inspection was ok. But when I got there, after being told at the door it was ok, no dice at the clerk.

Where we went bad, even though I was polite, was when she said there was no current inspection. At that point I told her there was, that the information desk had looked it up online and that the sticker was also on the car. It was an ego thing, once she said it was not current, she was not going to listen.

Monday I will have it inspected and then try again. In the end, I will lose the 2 months remaining on the inspection and registration.

In Arlington you could draw another number, get called back up to a window in about 15 minutes, and have a 90% chance of seeing another clerk.

I'd probably dig in and live or die on that hill. What you're doing - just getting another inspection sticker - is imminently less satisfying, but a lot more pragmatic in the long run.

I walked in to the tax office today, told the lady my plate number, she told me how much, I gave her the money and she gave me a new registration sticker and I was out the door in 15 minutes.

didn't have to show insurance or any thing.

Even better at Tom Thumb grocery store. But you can't get a title there, my primary goal.

My tax office ain't no 15 minutes, no matter what you are doing.

Back