• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Bell and Simpson Helmets

Reaction score
First Name
Patric
Last Name
Guthrie
When I started riding, there were really just three popular helmet brands: Bell, Simpson, and Arai. I still hear a lot about Arai, but not much on the other two. One of my first street helmets was a Simpson bandit. Anybody still use a Bell or Simpson helmet? What do you think of it? What happened to their prior status? Thanks. Thinking about getting a bandit to replace by RF-1000, just want to see what others think.

When I started riding, there were really just three popular helmet brands: Bell, Simpson, and Arai. I still hear a lot about Arai, but not much on the other two. One of my first street helmets was a Simpson bandit. Anybody still use a Bell or Simpson helmet? What do you think of it? What happened to their prior status? Thanks. Thinking about getting a bandit to replace by RF-1000, just want to see what others think.

I know Bell has kinda become a bargain brand, available at Wal-Mart, at least from what I've seen. I've read a couple of decent reviews about the Bell helmets, however.
Simpson as far as Im aware is still big, but mainly in the drag racing circuit. I havent seen a Simpson helmet since college though. I had an aqcuaintance back then who did semi-pro drag racing and used Simpson helmets.

Bell is under new ownership (might have been a couple years now, don't recall) and attempting to get back into the better part of the helmet spectrum. They definitely slipped into the very basic, budget market. But they make a few OK helmets and their new Star is supposed to be a marked improvement. I checked it out very thoroughly at the Indy Dealer Expo and gave it a mediocre thumbs sideways Not saying it's a bad helmet, just that I didn't see anything there that made me think it's really all that terribly innovative and saw a couple of minor items that might be annoying. I'll wait for a couple of good riding reviews and some crash data before I jump on that bandwagon. Just too many great options in that price range to get excited about the Bell.

Simpson isn't big into moto helmets. More of an auto thing, although they do offer a couple of models that are marketed as moto specific. The people who go for them do so primarily for their unique look rather than because it's a smoking great motorcycle helmet. I've heard negative things about the aerodynamics on the badarse looking ones, but something tells me that doesn't matter to anyone wearing one.

I have a brand new Bell helmet I bought off the net and did not head the warning about size. The Bell runs small I wear a 7 1/4 and the large to tight on me making the helmet unusable by me. I learned a lesson about buying clothing/wearables on the internet.

Its a Bell Apex and seems like it would be a great lid if only it fit properly. Its light, the lowest priced Snell rated helmet, and aerodynamics are good for the little time I had it on. (wore it to work once)

Simpson Racing is alive and doing well primarily in auto racing safety equipment but also has a line of motorcycle helmets.

Interesting note is Bill Simpson started another company focused on automotive racing safety products.
Impact! Racing Products
Bill Simpson no longer has anything to do with Simpson Racing Products, he sold out quite a few years ago and then started Impact! after awhile. The Simpson Auto division is based in New Braunfels, the motorcycle division is based in Harbor City, California.

Hmmm... in my closet I have one of the first Simpson "Bandit" helmets, before they were called "Bandit" they were "Model 32". I remember the looks I would get with that thing, when I turned to look at a driver next to me :mrgreen:

I bought a Simpson Duel sport helmet similar to the shoie hornet except you can get replacement face shields , clear or tinted and with tearoff post . Out the door two face shields and tearoffs for $330 delivered , I am happy with it . I did stop by the factory in New Braunfels and try one on before ordering . I have a clear Bandit face shield they sent me by mistake if anyone is intrested . SEYA

Back