• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

LD Comfort review

Texas T

LD Rider
Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
In anticipation of my upcoming Utah ride I purchased some LD Comfort shorts and leggings for me and Brenda. Today I took a 400+ mile run in the AZ heat and I must say that the shorts were very comfortable. I was going to try the longer ones tomorrow but the wind is supposed to be gusting to 50+ so I'm staying home.

So, FWIW, :thumb::thumb:

Good testimony - I've read mixed reviews on various forums. Wonder why the women's shorts are $5 less than the men's.

I've been wearing the shorts for about 5 years. Got a top and pair of tights last year. Best undergarmet I've ever used, hot or cold. Most weather it's LDComfort and the Stich.
Over 90 I add an evaporative vest.
Under 40 I add a Gerbings jacket.
With that I'm generally good from about 20 to about 110. Outside of those ranges, well it's either suffer or get off the road.
When I'm on the road, a day is usually 800-900 miles, so I get plenty of time to experience the functionality.

Dane

any comparison to other products out there, Under Armour, etc?

I've been wearing the shorts for about 5 years. Got a top and pair of tights last year. Best undergarmet I've ever used, hot or cold.

I agree completely. I won't even sit on my bike without my LD shorts anymore. I bought 5 extra sets just in case they go out of business before I die. :)

any comparison to other products out there, Under Armour, etc?

LDComfort Riding Shorts are made with a dual layer fabric to keep the skin dry. Even when the garment is wringing wet the inside will still be dry. Keeping the skin dry is what aviods tenderizing the skin and allowing saddle sores. See this video to learn the difference: http://www.ldcomfort.com/productdescription.htm#fabricvid
LDComfort is made especially for the long distance motorcycle rider as an undergarment. There is no comparison to how well they work. You can ride in a pair of LDComfort Riding Shorts for 200,000 miles and they will still work as the day they were new.
Realize that comfort counts for every mile, not just the first 1000 miles of the day.

LDComfort Riding Shorts are made with a dual layer fabric to keep the skin dry. Even when the garment is wringing wet the inside will still be dry. Keeping the skin dry is what aviods tenderizing the skin and allowing saddle sores. See this video to learn the difference: http://www.ldcomfort.com/productdescription.htm#fabricvid
LDComfort is made especially for the long distance motorcycle rider as an undergarment. There is no comparison to how well they work. You can ride in a pair of LDComfort Riding Shorts for 200,000 miles and they will still work as the day they were new.
Realize that comfort counts for every mile, not just the first 1000 miles of the day.

:tab Just so everyone knows, Mario sells them ;-)

:tab I have the tights and shorts. Personally, I prefer the full length tights. I do not like how the shorts are tight around the base of my thigh when I am hot/sweaty. I am kind of shaggy and it pulls on the hair pretty good.

:tab I do like the full length tights and they work as advertised, even in the 100F+ crazy humid woods in Arkansas in June :shock: However... I don't like that the tights don't come in a wider range of lengths instead of the one size fits all approach. A big reason for wearing this stuff is also for the lack of seams. I have a 34" inseam and 34" waist, and the tights are still so long that there is a lot of material bunched up. If I move it to my lower leg, it is all bunched up in my boots. If I move it to my upper legs, it is bunched up on the thighs. So I tend to put it around the knees, where it is still annoying but that is the least annoying location. I would like to see them available in different lengths to avoid this problem. I know they can be trimmed shorter, but I don't sew, and given the cost I don't really think I should have to ;-)

:tab At a stand still, they are a bit warm like anything else. However, at ANY speed, the cooling effect is very noticeable and the sweat is gone in a matter of minutes, even in humid conditions. They make a BIG difference in how the tush feels at the end of a long hot day of riding.

I ride an 09 Concours 14 which is well known for putting off some engine heat and although I have done some mods to lesson the heat, my inner knees/thighs still get warm against the panels. After reading the LD Comfort website, I ordered the long tights just knowing good and well they were going to be too warm and NO way would they keep my legs cooler. After an 80 mile loop midday in 92-98 degree heat, what a surprise!! Although the tights felt sort of strange (guess this is what support hose feel like), my inner legs NEVER felt any heat!! Well worth the $$.

I have been wearing these for several years and they work well.......however I can say that exofficio and underarmour products work just as well and can be had on sale for a lot less money. I have a pair of Tilley's on the way as i have been wanting to try them out also.
I doubt these things will last as long as the LD's have.

They are a bit pricy.
Duluth Trading has great wicking under wear that also work well. I cant say which is the best just that there are options out there in these troubled economic times.
The best stuff is always more but is cheaper in the long run. My LD's are several years old and in great shape.
Just my 2 cents........

Last edited:
I took Brenda up to GO AZ today to pick up a long sleeve LDC shirt. It was just a 100 mi round trip and we left at 2 in the afternoon when the temps were running 100-102 (storm blew through this morning so it was fairly cool today). I purposely wore just blue jeans, t-shirt, and my mesh jacket to see how everything compared to wearing my LDC gear.

Huge difference. I was regretting the clothing choice within the first ten miles. But I was happy that I had the LDC helmet liner. I even soaked it and put it in the freezer for a little while before we left (boy, did that feel good).

Under 40 I add a Gerbings jacket.

I finally broke down and bought heated gear this evening. Liners, socks, gloves. I will have to place another order for Brenda's liner as they were out of stock in her size.

I rode in temps of 25 degrees last winter with just heavy gloves and heated grips in addition to my normal LDC, sweatshirt, jacket, etc and I was really cold. The Gerbings are pretty expensive, but I've yet to see anyone really complain about them at all.

I guess I'm strange for disagreeing. I bought a set of LD shorts & tops back in May. May test ride was a 1600+ mile weekend in 100+ weather. I wear the the LD and my mesh suit. I thought they were comfortable but too hot. I prefer my UA for hot weather. I think they are going to be great for winter riding. I also did not like the length of the shorts. I'll have to try the legging.

I have the shorts and do not like them at all. On the other hand, I like the full length leggings a lot, especially when it is hot!

Back