• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Oil change on the KLR650

ntklr650

Matt6:34
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Last Name
M
So I changed the oil last night on my 2001 KLR650 and switched to Rotella T4 15w40. Everything I have read shows a great improvement so we will see. Has any other Gen 1 KLR guys made that change?
I am also going to try TC-W3 oil in my gas as well. I have been told about 1oz per 5 gal.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I have used the Rotella as well as just about all other brands of oil. Everything from O'rileys to Castrol, including different weights of oil. I have never seen much difference in performance or oil consumption, but that is not to say what works for me will work for you. The two products I have used on a regular basis is Lucas Safe Guard Ethanol Fuel Conditioner and Lucas Heavy Duty Oil Stabilizer. My 03 KLR has 83k on it and still running good. Ride safe and enjoy the ride, Ken In Katy Tx.

83k on a KLR is a good goal to set. I'm at 15.5k now so hope to get there. Thanks for the feedback

Any reason for putting 2 stroke oil in the gas? I've heard of that when dealing with old engines that were designed for leaded fuel/ high sulfur diesel for extra lubricity to the fuel, but on a modern 4 stroke I can't see the point.

I'm told it helps the valve train. My friend did on his BMW GS1200 and has been amazed how much quieter the engine is. I just added it to mine and something is quieter but I don't know if that's that 2 stroke oil or the Rotella.

I only add cleaner (seafoam, techron, etc) to my gas. Not sure why you would add oil to your gas. Seems like it would only increase carbon deposits. Use a good oil in your KLR and change it and filter regularly.

'08 gets nothing but the very finest quality Walmart brand oil that they have on the shelf... Technolube or whatever the name happens to be. Just look for the cheapest blue jug there. That'll be the right stuff. It's a KLR... if I feed it some high-dollar oil like Royal Purple or Mobil 1, the thing probably wouldn't even start. :mrgreen:

Back