• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

MSR Dual Sport Boot

These look interesting. Burbo, how tall are the pair you have? Do they run true to size?

Does anyone know if the "D30 ankle caps" offer adequate ankle protection?

Certainly can't beat the price!

These are calf height(tall). Seem true to size. Same as Sidi Discovery boots I have. Protection appears adequate. The buckles are plastic but appear to be strong. Not waterproof but I bought these for summer riding. Without goretex they seem to be a little cooler. I wore them to work last week to break them in. Actually comfortable to walk in.

rsmith56, you sir just cost me $107.94. Thanks for the heads up. Now logging of TWT before it gets more expensive this morning.

Mine show as shipped, tracking not too good. Everyone who responded about receiving theirs over on AdvRider has been pleased. Be nice to have, I think. Somewhere between a full on MX boot and my Wolverine work boots. Shin guards and ankle protection will be nice.

Mine are on the way. Spent a few more bucks and got free shipping. Tracking can be done much better through Google. Just Google "UPS Tracking" then copy and paste your tracking number. Thanks for the info, I just got a new WR250r and I think these boots will work great for dual sport and light trail riding. pk

Boots came in today. Guy at the Post Office kinda hurt my feelings. He carried them up and then asked me if he needed to get someone to carry them out for me.

Boots came in today. Guy at the Post Office kinda hurt my feelings. He carried them up and then asked me if he needed to get someone to carry them out for me.
Well, did you try them on, or did you need somebody to open the box for you?

James, ya need one of those long handle shoe horns to get the darn things on? Lol

Tell me what you think of the ankle protection, please. If these offer mo protection there than my Gaerne's-- I think I'll get them and save the G's for street.

James, ya need one of those long handle shoe horns to get the darn things on? Lol

Tell me what you think of the ankle protection, please. If these offer mo protection there than my Gaerne's-- I think I'll get them and save the G's for street.

The ankle protection seems to be pretty good with a hard outer disk and ample padding inside around the ankle. The foot bed is very comfortable and seems like they would be good to walk around in. The uppers are fairly stiff and athough there is good outer shin protection the inner area of the shin could have a little more padding. The sole is stiff and with a cleated bottom.

You have however asked the wrong person. I have been riding in steel toe work boots so long I don't really appreciate MC boots. Rode the NC yesterday and they just didn't work for me. Missed several upshifts and wound up shifting with my heel. Would have to move the shift lever up to work for me. Then I sat on the DR just to get a feel, and couldn't get my feet off the pegs. The cleats on the soles and my stock DR pegs just didn't geehaw.

The buckles are just OK in my opinion.

Overall I think it is a pretty good boot for someone other than me. I had been considering Gaerne Balance and kind of wish I had gone that direction.

And no on the shoe horn. They are actually on and off fairly easy. YMMV

Last edited:
Got home from NMBDR ride and mine were here. Fit well after adjusting buckles. Walked around in them some. Sat on bike to test shifting, was ok. Think they are going to be fine for me and the big pig. Great at the price. Break in needed, wished they had come 5 days earlier.

My foot is an 11 and that's what I ordered. I would have ordered an 11.5 if that was available. My left foot feels fine but the smaller three toes on my right foot feel some pressure. I hope/assume they will stretch a little. They feel like they need a little break in for shifting too but for the price, I think its a good risk. The best looking $100 boot I've seen.

P.S. rssmith, I'm thinking pretty serously about the NMBDR in September and look forward to a ride report from you when you get time. :clap:

Mine arrived earlier this week. I normally wear a 10.5 boot. I ordered the 11 and they fit great. I have not ridden in the boot yet. Boot feels fine to walk in and they are comfortable. Overall :thumb: for a 98 dollar boot. Have some rides planned for early next week. Will see how they do on dual sport ride and light trail riding.

Mine arrived earlier this week. I normally wear a 10.5 boot. I ordered the 11 and they fit great. I have not ridden in the boot yet. Boot feels fine to walk in and they are comfortable. Overall :thumb: for a 98 dollar boot. Have some rides planned for early next week. Will see how they do on dual sport ride and light trail riding.

Let us know how they do!

Back