• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Access to TX Ranch Rd 1051?

Reaction score
This is more "ride planning", but does anyone know if Ranch Road 1051 outside of Garner St Park is accessible? This weekend I am trying to ride some gravel outside of Leaky Tx, I know not much up there. Would like to make it over to Camp Wood, and do some of the dirt out by Bracketville....

Any 411 on this Ranch Road? I am hoping its public, but not sure! I looked on Google Earth, did not see gates.

TXRR1051_zps4abbe6df.jpg

Neither 318 or 319 show a TxDOT road. Normally tax funded roads, no matter how bad, show up on the TxDOT grids. I've never ridden dirt out there so there may be something not on the maps.

http://www.dot.state.tx.us/apps-cg/grid_search/_includes/countymapbook2006/Pages/318.pdf

http://www.dot.state.tx.us/apps-cg/grid_search/_includes/countymapbook2006/Pages/319.pdf

Thanks for the additional information! I'm pretty well getting ready to expect running into a locked gate!

Some folks out there try to make gates LOOK locked and land private when they are not. Sneaky bunch...

Call the county commissioner for that road and ask.

Some folks out there try to make gates LOOK locked and land private when they are not. Sneaky bunch...

That's a great idea! Hopefully someone answers the phone, who know he might be out shooting some stray dogs....

Excellent point. East Texas rural areas are full of posted signs on property where the absentee landowner has never met the folks posting the signs. Cheap deer lease!

This last time around was not able to explore Ranch Rd 1051, but it's on my radar screen....if anyone else makes it there post up what you find after picking buck shot out of your rear end!:giveup::giveup::giveup:

Thanks for checking into this! Maybe someday I can explore and see exactly where any gates are, and if they are locked or not....

A buddy and I rode to the first bump gate north of Reagan Wells several years ago. Since the roads of Texas map showed the road didn't go through we turned around, we were told by a local it did at one time.

IMG_0592_zps7a1c009a.jpg

Then a year or so later we tried the north end off RR337 until we came to a locked gate.

I'll apologize for interloping on your thread.... but, is that OpenStreetMap project roads that have been verified to be open & public?

There are a couple in the Lampasas area, CR228 to 86 and 226 to 19 that I'm wanting to check out...

RR 1051 is not public anymore. I work with a guy who'a family owns a ranch just past the Flying J of the Flying J airport is on their property. One of the two. The ranchers petition the county to close the roads and then they have to post in a local newspaper for a couple of weeks or something and if there is not oposition then it becomes private. (Might not be exactly the process but **** close) The county doesn't maintain the road anymore so they save money and have no real incentive to keep them public. What is happening to our dual sport riding sucks. Sorry I didn't see your thread until late.

BigJohn, thanks for posting up that information. I had no idea it could be that easy. Of course there is some form of "public notice" but who is stitting around reading all the little county news papers?

This is an interesting case where the Internet collides with rural life. We have all these maps, gps, tracks, and love to explore....then come up to the reality that private land holders have a ready way to abscond with county roads and close them off. Good for hunting leases I guess, not for dual sport riders!

Back