• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

review BMW F650GS

• Thread starter Deleted member 23845
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 23845

All,

Last week I rented a BMW F650GS from MountainADV in Durango. I put on over 200 miles swanning about my home town roads of LaPlata County, San Juan County and a dip into the Southern Ute Nation of NM. Last June I rented a Suzuki V-Strom (650?). Comparatively the BMW is a much finer ride, at least for a 5 foot 5 inch guy like me with 30 inch inseam, and into my sixth decade.

Pluses of the BMW:
-really superb handling, dip into curves, predictable--best feature of bike
-smooth braking although the long throw of the rear foot lever seemed a bit strange, single front brembo did a nice job, no abruptness--linear throttle--easy start
-reasonable seat height, no problems mount/dismount
-excellent mileage (over 50 miles/gallon)
-low center of gravity, very predictable on gravel and bit of off-road fishtailing
-reasonable weight
-good instrumentation including gear indicator and fuel level
-excellent wind break with shield--set up for bags and rack is nice.

Minuses of the BMW:
-seemed underpowered to me, low end torque so-so, bike had less acceleration than my Moto Guzzi V7 750 twin, and less than the V-Strom 650
-speedometer was hard to read, little dial and numbers
-clutch engage is at very far end of throw, clumsy take off
-non adjustable hand levers: a reach for small hands
-weird turn signal set up: individual L and R and separate cancel switch
-UGLY bike, really wonky design, but pretty orange.

Would I buy one? Unlikely, as the low power is a deal buster, and ugly.

What year model did you rent?

It is a 2010 model year, with ABS. I looked at the BMW specs: it is a single cylinder! Faked me out with the twin exhausts. Overall the engine is what I call utilitarian. "Character" is low compared to either my Moto Guzzi V7R or Triumph Street Triple RX (Italian Choir or British Screamer). But the little single pulled ok, and I am renting the BMW again late September.

Sounds like a pretty fair assessment. For highway riding, I think the VStrom is a more comfortable bike - I'm not a fan of that Beemer seat for the long hauls. Once on the dirt, any midsized GS will take the lead. Riding with Kickstand_Prophet through Colorado & NM last summer, we both agreed our bikes (my DL650, his F700GS) were well matched to travel together, even if the Strom is quicker on pavement and the GS is more capable off.

I had totally forgotten about this thread. I'm not sure how many f650gs'rs there are here and in our community as I rarely see anyone else out and about on one. I have an 06 Dakar and am at present swapping out the front end with an 03 YZ450f. It's gonna be a beautiful thing...:rider:

Back