• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Eastern Direction Vacation Planning

drfood

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Darrell
Last Name
Gerdes
Jay and I are going to take another long distance vacation this year thanks to me having 5 total weeks of vacation. And a boss who is now insisting I use them all vs carry any over.

We want to go east this time. I've come up with a rough itinerary that I would like to get some thoughts from folks on. This is very rough.

Day 1
Houston to Birmingham, AL

Day 2
Birmingham, AL to Asheville, NC via Cherohala Skyway and beginning of BRP

Day 3
Asheville, NC to Boone, NC via BRP

Day 4
Boone, NC to Charlottesville, VA via BRP

Day 5
Charlottesville, VA to Winchester, VA via Shenandoah (might not go this way because of so many negative reviews by other motorcycle riders, but leaving the option open)

Rest of trip back via New River Gorge, Corvette Museum and St. Louis.

Thoughts on routes or other sites are appreciated.

Sounds like a great trip. Did something like it in reverse in 2015. Willville is a great motorcycle campground, just off the BRP.

If you're a military/history buff, the Mobile, AL area is also nice. Battleship Memorial Park has the USS Alabama (battleship), the USS Drum (submarine), an aircraft museum, and a tank/artillery museum. It's a great place to see up close these incredible machines that played significant roles in WWII

A bonus is that Dauphin Island is nearby and accessible via bridge. If you're interested in staying on or near the beach for a day or 2, it's a nice alternative Destin or Fort Walton. The island is much less developed and hasn't been overrun with condos, gift shops and restaurants. Just a few mom and pop places and a couple of condo towers. Most places available to stay are beach homes. The town has tried its best to slow down major development, and so far they've done pretty well. There's also a pre-Civil War era fort on the island called Fort Gaines. Lots of history there and it's open for tours.

When you get to the end of the Cherohala Skyway you can head north up the Tail of the Dragon, and then head east on the Foothills Parkway toward Gatlinburg. You can then head south into the Great Smoky Mountains National Park towards the start of the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for all of the suggestions so far.

• Wasn't aware of Birmingham Museum. Definitely adding it to the list of things to look at stopping for. :thumb:
  • Mobile is out of the way this trip. When we do the I-10 coast to coast next year we will check it out.
  • No interest in riding the "dragon" after doing US191 in Eastern AZ. Drove the dragon a few years back, it scared the crap out of both of us in a car. 191 is the dragon on steroids. :rider:

Keep the suggestions coming. Looking for ideas on the northern end...WV, KY especially.

Back