• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Anyone using a mirrorless?

Reaction score
Got a rebate from house insurance and decided to treat myself to a retirement present: a Sony NEX-5N (one of many reviews here).
I'm considering buying the body only, as I have read that the kit lens is sub par (as usual). Although the reviewer above speaks well of the 18-55mm kit lens. However, I have no idea what lens I should even consider let alone try to match with the body. Am planning on the adapter, which expands my slightly expands my options. (and the optional EVF; I am an old die-hard viewfinder person).

My photography goals are landscapes, mostly, but want to take time and delve into wildlife (so need fast lens) and macro (insects, small animals, flowers, etc). Many times I wish I had a wide angle lens. :)

Anyone have experience with these?

I don't have any experience with the Sony Nex models but a few months ago I picked up the new Olympus OM-D E-M5 mirrorless micro 4/3rds with the 12-50 macro lens as my everyday walk-around and travel system.

So far I can tell you that I really like it. The size is small enough that it is much more convenient to carry than my Canon 7D, the image quality rivals the 7D, the 5-axis image stabilization is very, very good, and the 12-50 macro is a good compliment to the body. At this point I'm a fan of the mirrorless category.

I went the other way. I had a mirrorless and when I felt the need to get a faster lens, the price for lensing on the mirrorless category made me choke. I could buy my Nikon with the 35mm f1.8 for less money than the m4/3rds lens by itself. So with less money I got a larger sensor, optical viewfinder, a very fast lens, and it isn't that much bulkier than my Olympus is as a whole.

The Sony with viewfinder, adapter, and full-sized lens is going to be 90% of the overall dimensions of the 5100, or closer to 100% the size of the 3200. Just at a much higher cost, and much fewer options for accessories. Lens price, low light performance, and accessories are what drove me to get a regular DSLR. I still compromised and got a smaller body model. Had I got a 7d from Canon, or a D90 from Nikon I wouldn't be saying these things, but those bodies are much much larger and I wasn't willing to go that big.

That being said, you've been talking about the Sony mirrorless cams for a couple of years now and it seems like you already have your mind made up on them. I just hope that you have priced out all the options you want, as well as thought of the camera size once you put those options on. It may end up just as big as a DSLR, only with double the pricetag.

Last edited:
Browsing around, looks like there are several more E-mount lenses, even to f1.4, on the market now, Sony brand and others. Most of them have very good reviews (except for the 16mm pancake). So I can probably do without an adapter after all.

The one I covet, however, is a Sony/Zeiss E-mount 24mm, f1.8, equivalent of 36mm in full-frame or 35mm format; a versatile medium wide-angle focal length. And quite well over my budget. ;)

I bought that exact camera for my wife. Most of the online reviews are spot on. Menus are deep, excellent quality, digital zoom rocks...

Some of the reviews mentioned a clicking when recording but mine doesn't.

I considered the adapter but decided to keep it simple and just went with the 55-205. The adapter interferes with the autofocus IIRC. I do plan on purchasing the viewfinder.

It's a great camera.

September Sony will be announcing the Nex 5R & Nex 6 too. We keep looking at them. Maybe the 5N price will drop a bit now. :popcorn:

I've had my NEX 3 for about 6 months now and love it. I opted for the 18-55 mm lens. I also picked up a Canon FD adapter so I can use my old 50 mm 1.4 lens. I'm no photographer by any stretch but I do like taking decent pics. And of course almost all my pics involve riding. I wanted a camera that was decent performing and at an easy to deal with size. Something that I can pull out quickly and get some shots then be on my way.

What appeals to me about it is it's almost as fast at start up as my Canon 20D. Uses the same sensor as my Canon 20 D as well. It shoots in RAW format. Didn't pay a small fortune for it so if it gets destroyed in a get off, or stolen, it won't kill me.

I eye'd the NEX-5/7 when I bought the Olympus E-P3. Deciding factors came down to Arlington Camera not having a Sony in stock (well, they had the NEX-3) and my wife favoring the Oly brand.

We got the 14-42mm kit lens, and added the 40-150mm lens to the bag. Other than the lenses feeling a bit cheap compared to dad's Nikon's, they shoot well enough.

One day, I'll pick up a D7000 (or whatever has replaced it by the time I get the $$ up).

I've been quite happy with the P3. Just wish it had an optical viewfinder. (yes, there's an add on)

I've been eyeing them, but haven't moved a new camera up the want/budget list yet.

I am debating lens options:
A zoom lens would be good for landscape photography because of the variable focal length, but they are not as sharp or as fast as a prime (fixed focal length) lens. That said, I am not sure which prime lens would be the most versatile. I would probably use the prime lens for macro and/or closer wildlife (inclusive of plants, insects, mammals, etc) shots. But which focal length is the question......

Let me in, guys.
Just bought a Sony A37 about one month plus.
Great one so far.

Some photos to share (A37 + Kit18-55):

DSC00901.jpg

DSC00910.jpg

What kills the NEX and like cameras for me is lack of view finder. Unless they are a heck of a lot better than the Canon Rebel I had or the G12 and Minolta Dimage I have at present. Screen is near useless in bright sunlight.

What kills the NEX and like cameras for me is lack of view finder. Unless they are a heck of a lot better than the Canon Rebel I had or the G12 and Minolta Dimage I have at present. Screen is near useless in bright sunlight.
I had the same gripe. The E-P3 we wound up with doesn't have one built-in, but there is an accessory add-on for it. I haven't wanted to spend the money on it, but it would be nice.

There are a few that have a view finder, but they're usually the ones that are so expensive you may as well just buy a DSLR.

Back