• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

82 yamaha virago 750 bobber project

Reaction score
First Name
matt
Last Name
lynch
I have been wanting an 82 something to ride for a pretty good while. I'm an 82 model texan, myself.

I have a bad history with projects. I start them and never finish because of time or money or i just bite off more than i can chew.
This time around i have a very mechanically and electrically gifted friend to help me along.
edydumu8.jpg

This was what it looked like right after it got home. IIRC it was under 20 when i looked at the bike, deep in some houston ghetto. Every time i touched a wire or vinyl it would crack.
I got the bike because i was very much obsessed with what greg hageman, of doc's chops, was doing with these bikes. I wanted to do the same, but really hadnt put much thought into it. I got this guy for $250, so yeah... The price is right.
abetu5e6.jpg

This was taken days after i got the bike. I had stripped it down and thrown a bicycle seat on it to get an idea of what it would look like as a bobber. I liked it a lot. The hageman style would kill my back anyways.
I bought the bike as is, with no keys or documents. A run of the plate verified that it was for this bike, and it was last reg'd in the mid 90's

uru5ehen.jpg

Here she is as she presently sits.
The bike will run when i have carbs in it, but not real well. I have a single carb kit coming for the bike. Im not real happy with the tail of the bike. Im thinking of welding on some tabs, to mount the seat closer to the tank. I'd like to ride in an upward position.

Its close to being "done" but it still has a ways.
I very much look forward to posting some camping trips on the bike. Ive got a little solo tent and a sleeping bag that packs to the size of a football.

sent from a cyborg monkey using tapatalk

So you'll go a bonded title route with it then? If so, keep us in the loop on that process and how it goes...

I got a bonded title done for the bike fairly painlessly. Not very expensive either.

I hated my tail end, so i redid it for a more minimal look. Whatcha think?
avy5e9et.jpg
e9y6ydyv.jpg

My single carb manifold is in the mail, so i should be up and running soon. Still neeg some electrical stuff taken care of, but this beast is nearly there!

What about some kind of chopped quarter fender coming up behind the seat ? and that bike needs to make noise. looks fun, good score.

I would love to have a fender, but im not sure how to mount one. The swingarm is nowhere close to symmetrical, and clearance is an issue. But yeah, thanks. It runs better on the one carb than two. I cant wait to try tuning it in.

9arehyje.jpg
hysy3uba.jpg
y7yrejam.jpg

Trying to tune the carb with the wrong jets is tough. Blah. I had ordered a few larger main jets to play with, and they use a different thread pitch.
Ill be playing more tomorrow. I flooded the engine yesterday, trying to start it. I got it to run tonight, but with some difficulty.

I ran the bike around today. Its running really rich, and wont idle very well. I think i need to find a 150 jet.
I dont want to drill another jet. I might get a different carb if i can find a decent one for cheap.

It should idle well with the butterfly closed, getting it's air from the idle circuit. Do you have much change by turning the pilot needle?
On the Virago Owners Club website, there's Dr. Pistons Tech Pages. If you don't have them, you need them, including a full diary on his single carb tuning.
What's the current status?
Check the float level- it should be just below the gasket joint.

Fender solution, use the tire itself to roll form thin aluminum, cut some aluminum tubing to us as spacer between the seat and frame area and the fender, if you run the fender down to where the shock mounts, weld some tabs on the inside of the square tube and put two bolts, one on either side. Leave the fender long, make a rounded nose, cut and see if you like the length, don't like it? cut it back another inch at a time.

OR- Take a front fender, pop the rivets holding the bracket to it, and use that for the rear strutting it to the swing arm. I have two spares in my stacks.

I moved recently and havent touched the bike in about 2 weeks. I have fresh tires and rear brake shoes to put on, but having time to wrench has been scarce lately.
I rode the bike to work one day and ran out of gas. I figure im getting about 9 mpg and my gel battery seems pretty weak. Its only as old as the project.

Back