• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Working the oil patch

Reaction score
Ain't what it used to be. Hard work with a high school education, or a two year technical degree can eventually get er done. Was at the wife's company United Way fish tournament and crawdad boil. They're a bunch of hard workin folks.
Lots of nice toys about too

image-S.jpg

image-S.jpg

image-S.jpg

Nice

Signatures ???? We don't need no stinking signatures !!!!!

Ain't what it used to be. Hard work with a high school education, or a two year technical degree can eventually get er done. Was at the wife's company United Way fish tournament and crawdad boil. They're a bunch of hard workin folks.
Lots of nice toys about too

Good to see folks working the patch can earn some toys these days.

My Mom was born in a Gulf Oil Company camp in Liberty, Texas in 1926 and grew up in Gulf camps.

Her dad worked the patch for Gulf his entire life in Arkansas, Texas and Louisiana, finally settling in a real house in Kilgore where he died on the job (heart attack in his car at a rig he'd been checking) in 1954.

Mom's elder brother too, spent his career in the Gulf Company patches for 33 years, passing last year at 95 after a nice retirement living with his daughter's family, raising and running fox hounds to the end, his lifelong 'toy'.

Hard working folks indeed, and thankful it "ain't what it used to be" I'm sure.

Small world Centex - I started with Gulf, but it was in '80 ... spent 3 fantastic years in Kilgore. The third year they moved the office from the old camp to a fancy building in town, it wasn't the same thing after that.

I visited the offices at Fannett and Hankamer many times over the years. Homer and Lisbon in N. Louisiana and the Smackover field in Arkansas. Went overseas, we were bought out by Chevron, and I'm still hanging in there!

Dave.

Small world Centex - I started with Gulf, but it was in '80 ... spent 3 fantastic years in Kilgore.

I visited the offices at Fannett and Hankamer many times over the years. Homer and Lisbon in N. Louisiana and the Smackover field in Arkansas.

Dave,

Wasn't the famous Spindletop discovery in Tejas in the early 1900s...a Gulf Oil find or what "kick-started" their drilling success?

Funny now with new mapping and drilling technologies, Anadarko, EOG and Apache are coming back to the Spindletop area to give it a fresh approach in extracting more hydrocarbons from the area.

:clap:

RB

My grandad and dad worked the East Texas oil field in the day. Grandad quit school in the 7th grade to go to work. So that is what 14? Long days, dangerous work, and the pay not quite what it is today. He was the quintessential rough neck, drank like a fish, lived and partied hard. We could have been wealthy at one point, but he blew it on wine women and song. A shame.

Back