• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Where am I? (Can you place this picture...?)

Not really. I'm thinking Williamson County, but I don't recognize the location. There is a Bald Knob just west of TX 195 in Bell County and another not too far away in Burnet county.

Not really. I'm thinking Williamson County, but I don't recognize the location. There is a Bald Knob just west of TX 195 in Bell County and another not too far away in Burnet county.

Very true, but Print Olive did not dwell in that area.....:sun:

Very true, but Print Olive did not dwell in that area.....:sun:

Hmmm. According to Texas State Historical Association.

"OLIVE, ISOM PRENTICE (1840–1886). Prentice Olive, also known as Print Olive, an infamous cattleman, was born in Mississippi in 1840 to James and Julia Olive. In 1843, the family moved to Texas by covered wagon. Print received some basic grammar-school education in Williamson County, where the family settled, but his real education occurred on the open range of his family's ranch. Though his mother and sisters were Methodists, his father never forced him or his brothers to attend church. During the Civil War, Print fought on the side of the Confederacy. After the war he returned to Williamson County and began to make a name for himself as a rancher. In 1866 he managed a round-up for the entire region. With the assistance of his three brothers, Thomas, Ira and Bob, Print quickly became one of the big cattle ranchers in the area. Although great fortunes could be made in the cattle industry after the Civil War, it could also be a dangerous business. Print and his brothers were known to take the law into their own hands to protect their property. One notorious incident involved the murder of two suspected rustlers known as Turner and Crow. The men were killed by the "death of the skins," an old Spanish method of torture. Wrapped alive in green cowhides, the men were left to die as the sun slowly caused the skins to contract. Since the skins used had the Olive brand, the murders were widely believed to be done by the Olives. Despite an acquittal by the county court, many people continued to believe the brothers were guilty."

During Civil War era outlaws & folks who wanted to avoid being conscripted into service found it advantageous to reside near the convergence of several counties. By doing so, only short jaunts were necessary to move beyond the jurisdiction of local authorities. Although I believe the Olives chose the location of their Williamson county homestead due to the large number of free ranging cattle in the area, many members of their rivals - the "notch cutter gang" chose the area for the former reason. Turner in particular was a notorious shady character in the area.

McDade - the location of the photo - was important in that it was the Western most rail terminal & nearest location where a beef carcass could be sold & shipped. Turner & Crow were undoubtably slaughtering and skinning Olive branded cattle and then selling the unidentifiable "beeves" for a profit in nearby McDade.

In which county was this photo taken?

i-qc5JVPK-M.jpg

In which county was this photo taken?

i-qc5JVPK-M.jpg

Before I start, I've got no photos to contribute, so.... I just wanna join for the fun :D

Given the romanesque use of pillars, and the dome from the Ancient Greek era, along with the rooftop perched Roman goddess of Justice - Lustitia, I would make a pretty safe assumption that this is either a court house, or a city hall of some sort.

Which County? Well, this county, according to it's Wikipedia page, is where "...One of the most important discoveries in recent times [occured].... that of the ancient skeletal remains dubbed "The Leanderthal Lady" because of its age and proximity to [REDACTED], Texas."

;)

McDade - the location of the photo - was important in that it was the Western most rail terminal & nearest location where a beef carcass could be sold & shipped. Turner & Crow were undoubtably slaughtering and skinning Olive branded cattle and then selling the unidentifiable "beeves" for a profit in nearby McDade.

I thought it was McDade, but the Bald Knob reference threw me.

Williamson County courthouse. I believe the statue on top is actually Themis, the Greek Goddess of divine law and order.

Williamson County courthouse. I believe the statue on top is actually Themis, the Greek Goddess of divine law and order.

I've no idea of whom the stature is... but it is the Williamson County courthouse. Of that I am sure. You're up! :chug:

Well done! :clap: One could also divine that location by the electric car chargers scattered around the square......hardly ever used....:lol2:

Well done! :clap: One could also divine that location by the electric car chargers scattered around the square......hardly ever used....:lol2:

I saw those last time we ate at Gumbos on the NE corner of the square. Georgetown was one of the places we were looking to move to when we left San Antonio, but the taxes were just as high there as they were in Bexar county. There are a number of restaurants we like there on Austin Street.

I saw those last time we ate at Gumbos on the NE corner of the square. Georgetown was one of the places we were looking to move to when we left San Antonio, but the taxes were just as high there as they were in Bexar county. There are a number of restaurants we like there on Austin Street.

Williamson was the highest taxing county per capita, in the state.......if that has changed I bet it will never not be in the top 3.....why I moved east of there....;-)

I'm gonna take an edjumakated SWAG (scientific wild *** guess) and toss out Dimmitt, Tx as my volley.

Skullduggery (Google) was involved in the process of narrowing down the choices of cities with a "Cleveland Street" in the great state of Texas, and using the other clues given.

Back