• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

BRAZOS VALLEY

_RG_

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Looks like it's on for this Saturday (19th). We had about .4" rain this past week and *may* pick up a shower today/tomorrow. Dirt should be in good shape.

Fun place to ride for any skill level. Easy on the front...more technical on the back.

See y'all out there.

Sounds like fun. Be safe. Maybe I can make it next time.

Have fun Ted, I'm headed to the SHNF! Free and closer.

SHNF is no where near as good as BVORR.

A matter of opinion. 7-8 miles of trail versus close to a hundred. And SHNF gives you a very good workout. Hope you enjoyed Brazos, and yes I've ridden and raced there. To each his own.

How was Brazos this w/e? Very good turnout?

There were probably about 15 riders while I was there. I showed up alone, was adopted by a group of about 6 riders, rode from 9:30 to 12:30 and put 2.6 hours on the hour meter. The trails were a little over grown, but the dirt was in good shape. The parts of the marked trail in the creek bottom were dry. Those who missed the trail marker said that it got messy in the creek real quick. One rider on a Yamaha snapped his kick starter shaft and Ottis extracted him from the creek bottom with a 4 wheeler. Other than that there were not any incidents that I am aware of. Fairly much all areas were open to riding with the marked trail being one way single track. I had a good ride, rode all of the single track at least once, rode the back 40 twice and the tailings about four times. I climbed a bunch of hills on the track and off, rode two attempted hill climbs in reverse but did not push my abilities as much as I do at SHNF. As an added bonus most of the hills and fields were covered in bluebonnets and paint brushes, so I got my ride and blue bonnet trip done at the same time. I should have brought a camera. :rider:

Irishcoffee,
I did not ask. Their web site says they are only doing open rides this year and that they a preparing for something new and different for next year. I'll ask him during my next trip BV.

Last edited:
Not sure about the xtreme races. Otis said they've gained access to some large tracks in other parts of the state that he'd really like to develop. Not sure where that is but if it's anything like around here, it takes an awful lot of time and sweat to clear trail...and then keep em clear. Greenbriar and youpon will take back a trail around here in a matter of weeks. Maybe that's what he's doing and why he's posted no races this year?

How did it go today?

Very well. I got there just after the gates opened and visited with Otis about trail intel. Place is grown over some but hey, it's been raining around here. Couple of washouts in the trail and some detours across the creek (where the iron grate used to be). The big news is the sand pit operation has grown a lot and they opened up another pit near the back 40 area. Hasn't really effected the trails much...so far.

The dirt was the best I've seen out there. We had a tenth inch rain Thursday night and conditions were tacky. Even my old worn out tires were hooking up and just plain motoring up the steep stuff that usually require a spirited run. Couple of muddy spots but easily detoured around. Challenges were the steep downhills with tire width washes running their length. One of the Brenham crew did a not so graceful endo that was truly spectacular to watch but did no damage to bike nor rider.

Met up with some chaps from Brenham who were fragrancing the morning air with pre-mix and the three of us had a jolly good ride. Ki and several other folks made it out, too. I had to take off about lunch time to make it to a bolt store before they closed so I'll have to let Ki tell us about the afternoon festivities.

THe turn out was low. Only a few more showed up after noon. I did 2 more laps. Stayed until 3. Traction was indeed awesome.

I think the heat has all but the hardcore thinking of other things. Especially after noon. I was dumb enough to do some outdoor exercise about 1pm Sat and it wiped me out. I should know better but,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

There's a nice porch with shade and even some rocking chair for old folks. I was on the chair chilling for an hour after riding, waiting for others to pack up. And it felt good. There was a nice breeze. I probably would have takening a nice siesta on the porch if I wasn't starving.

Anybody go to the July ride day yesterday, sure wasn't promoted.

Nope - Saw it marked on my calendar and thought about it. Its a little to hot for me right now. I did ride the 530 a little bit yesterday and may ride it to a local park this afternoon. I'll probably start prepping my bikes for fall riding next weekend.

Understand the heat, but you're missing some awesome summer conditions in the forest! Of course that could be over real soon.

Back