• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Canon G1X

Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Gibbens
Canon just announced the G1X, the latest in their G line of high-end compact cameras. What makes this new camera so very interesting is the sensor is nearly as large as that found in most DSLRs. (Most DSLRs come with a 1.5 crop sensor, the new G1X has a 1.8 crop sensor which is 6x times larger than the sensor in previous G series cameras, 2x larger than the sensor in the new Nikon 1 series, and even larger than the micro 4/3 sensors).

G1X.jpg

Powershot-G1X_lcd.jpg
Powershot-G1X_3qtr.jpg

Powershot-G1X_rear.jpg
G1X_td.jpg

One early review of a pre-production models reported image quality (specifically noise in low light shooting) to be better than Canon's top of the line 7D dslr.

MSRP is $800, the same as Canon's entry level DSLRs with kit lens. I expect the street price will be quite a bit lower.

It is not a DSLR killer. It's probably a great travel camera though. If Canon sped up the shooting speed (the G series shoots slow) then it will likely be a fantastic travel, casual, or street photography camera.

Is this Canon's answer to the interchangeable lens compact (ILC, aka 3rd Gen) class of camera? I doubt it. I think Canon will have to offer an ILC soon - they are the only manufacturer who doesn't have one so they are losing sales every day to the competition.

For now, though, the G1X looks to offer some benefits versus ILCs - namely compact size for the lens range and a large sensor with presumably better image quality - but with some limitations too (relatively small apertures and a fixed zoom lens). As always, it comes down to picking the right camera for the job you want to do.

Last edited:
I just returned from a trip to Lima Peru and only took my Canon S90 and Canon G12 to take photos... My DSLR is really becoming a "specialized" camera, where at the G12 is becoming the "go to" camera. This new G1X is going to be a must have for me if the ISO performance is indeed better than the G12. (going to google now to find spec on iso performance).

Canon just announced the G1X, the latest in their G line of high-end compact cameras. What makes this new camera so very interesting is the sensor is nearly as large as that found in most DSLRs. (Most DSLRs come with a 1.5 crop sensor, the new G1X has a 1.8 crop sensor which is 6x times larger than the sensor in previous G series cameras, 2x larger than the sensor in the new Nikon 1 series, and even larger than the micro 4/3 sensors).

G1X.jpg

Powershot-G1X_lcd.jpg
Powershot-G1X_3qtr.jpg

Powershot-G1X_rear.jpg
G1X_td.jpg

One early review of a pre-production models reported image quality (specifically noise in low light shooting) to be better than Canon's top of the line 7D dslr.

MSRP is $800, the same as Canon's entry level DSLRs with kit lens. I expect the street price will be quite a bit lower.

It is not a DSLR killer. It's probably a great travel camera though. If Canon sped up the shooting speed (the G series shoots slow) then it will likely be a fantastic travel, casual, or street photography camera.

Is this Canon's answer to the interchangeable lens compact (ILC, aka 3rd Gen) class of camera? I doubt it. I think Canon will have to offer an ILC soon - they are the only manufacturer who doesn't have one so they are losing sales every day to the competition.

For now, though, the G1X looks to offer some benefits versus ILCs - namely compact size for the lens range and a large sensor with presumably better image quality - but with some limitations too (relatively small apertures and a fixed zoom lens). As always, it comes down to picking the right camera for the job you want to do.

Wonder why they didn't go ahead and put in a APS-C sensor? I love the viewscreen. My A 610 has that kind of screen and it makes taking shots from awkward angles so simple!

Back