• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Are DSLRs a dying breed? - Trey Ratcliff thinks so

This is all a great discussion, but looking out my window I can't help but think you all should be out riding at the moment.....:mrgreen:

This is all a great discussion, but looking out my window I can't help but think you all should be out riding at the moment.....:mrgreen:

I'm looking out my window and it's wet, raining, and cold out. Glad I rode yesterday :lol2:

Here ya go Bill.....

687773711_9bF6D-L.jpg

Canon 50D 50mm lens at f1.8. The backdrop is the inside of my nephew's jacket....his shoulder is about 6 inches from the jacket.
I'll have to get back to you with this one. The largest I can go for now is f3.5 until I get that lens in.:trust:

Richard, I'll give it a try in the next day or two. For now I've got a list of chores that keeps growing but I'll make time before too long.

I've been thinking about this a lot lately - I have a Canon 1-D and a bunch of glass. I checked one of these out today. You can get on with an electronic viewfinder for those sunny trip shots. The one with the viewfinder also has a little hot-shoe for a flash. The model without the viewfinder has a pop up strobe. I'm pretty impressed. Thinking about pulling the trigger on the deal.
http://www.dpreview.com/news/2011/9/21/nikonlaunch

Smiley,

Austin photographer Kirk Tuck has been shooting and writing about the Nikon 1 for a month or so. You might have a look at his thoughts here.

Scott,

It was a beautiful day for riding. Even got a few photos of my buddy Stuntman Jeff while we were riding.

201201Nyfeler12-14-L.jpg

201201Nyfeler12-27-L.jpg

201201Nyfeler12-6-L.jpg

Now, back to talking about photography while keeping an eye on the Texans game.

Nice panning....

And being home I bet warmer than me at the moment.....

My current view:
a6934dce-db27-34e4.jpg

Smiley,

Austin photographer Kirk Tuck has been shooting and writing about the Nikon 1 for a month or so. You might have a look at his thoughts here.

Thanks, Richard! I know Kirk. He was the inspiration behind the look at the Nikon 1. I have some Nikor F mount glass too. That even makes it more appealing.

Smiley,

For an opposing point of view, check out the Jan issue of Pop Photography. Their review is quite critical of the Nikon 1 series.

Smiley,

For an opposing point of view, check out the Jan issue of Pop Photography. Their review is quite critical of the Nikon 1 series.

Cameras are just like motorcycles. Everybody's opinion has the potential of ruining a good hobby.

FYI Richard, just got my NEX-3 in and playing around with it on single shot on fully automatic I can shoot off 3 shots, moving and reacquiring/refocusing between each shot in less then 2 seconds. So I have to say I've very happy with that kind of performance. Oh also, from off to on and snapping a pic is less then 2 secs as well. :clap:

As a point of reference. I just played with my G12 after reading all this. I'm running Auto with JPG and highest resolution. I hit the on button and quickly held my finger on the Go button. I counted 1001 , 1002 and heard it click. In taking fast pictures, I can click it after saying 1001 after I hear each click. This is how I time fast pictures on the move when I can't hear the camera. Take a shot, say 1001, Take a shot, Have not missed anything yet. I don;'t think I'll ever take pictures faster than that, or have not did so yet.
What brought me to this camera was the ease of getting it out of my tank bag and shooting a quick picture with just my left hand. Near impossible to do with the Rebel D1000 I had before. Or, the Minolta Dimage I still use for long distance shots now.
Very interesting reading and gathering info. Keep it coming. ;-)

Back