• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Houston area rider needs help

Tourmeister

Keeper of the Asylum
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Friday
Howdy,

:tab I lifted this off the Houston Sportbike Network site.
I'll be quick and to the point, so forgive my brevity. Many of you have met Yuliya's daughter Sasha. Sasha is at Texas Children's Hospital, having been just diagnosed with acute myopia leukemia. The urgency of this post relates to the fact that Sasha needs blood platelets right away due to a shortage at the hospital. She has B- type blood, but she can be a direct recipient if you have any negative type of blood, and will get credit for any other type of blood donated. With all due respect, I urge everyone who is able to donate platelets or whole blood to do so as soon as possible. I'll try to post some contact for the Gulf Coast Regional Blood Centers (I think that's the name) asap, or if anyone else has that info handy, it would be great if you could do it for me.

The information to give when donating is as follows:

Name: Alexandra Dvorak
Hospital: Texas Childrens
Admission #: 11629347

If anyone has any questions, feel free to contact me at my office tomorrow, 713-241-8470, leave a voicemail if I don't answer and I'll get back to you shortly.

Please, let's do all we can to help Sasha. And for any TSBA members here, I'd appreciate someone linking this post over there. A lot of the folks over there know Yuliya well, and I am sure they'd want to help.

-Pete

:tab Yulia is active in CMRA and in the Houston area bike community. If you are so inclined, please consider donating blood in her daughter's name. I'll try to get an address for any cards and post it here as well. Anything you would like to say to Yulia can go here as well as she is a member here.

sash_yul.jpg

:tab This is not good news, but neither is it the worst possible news. I have been poking around on the net looking into this and it appears to have a pretty decent survival rate, especially for children. Not to be smart assed, but rather to be specific, from what I can tell the actual term is:

Acute Myelogenous Leukemia (AML)

The "myopia" term is commonly used instead and can cause some confusion.

:tab More info can be found here:

www.oncologychannel.com/leukemias/

www.leukemia-lymphoma.org/all_page?item_id=9346

Update as of 7/23/03

Once again lifted from the HSN site:

Just got back from Texas Children's... Sasha is pretty much wiped out. Completely exhausted, the poor kid can hardly keep her eyes open. She started her chemo treatments today, and had her second one while I was there visiting. I was extremely impressed the way she handled it. She's one tough kid! She's in a room that would make any 6 year old jealous... ****, I even thought it was awesome.

And as far as Yuliya goes... I don't understand how she still has all her hair... if that was my child, I would of already pulled all my hair out or have had a nervous breakdown. She's got close family from out of state and out of country visiting. Yuliya has been at TCH since Saturday afternoon. I believe Sasha's father is going to go up to the hospital in the morning, so Yuliya can go home, get some much needed rest, change of clothes, etc...

If you'd like to visit Sasha and Yuliya, I would suggest to call in advance. Yuliya has been riding the doctor's *** regarding information about donating blood & platelets. The impression she gave me tonight, was that once Sasha gets home (hopefully early next week) and things start to stablize, when she goes in for her chemo treatments, they will be able to tell when she will need platelets, and then someone can schedule to make a donation. I'm sure Yuliya will have more details about this once things settle down.

Yuliya wanted me to say "Thank You" to everyone for their support, thoughts & payers, blood & platelet donations, gifts, and concerns. I'm probably going to stop by the hospital some time on Friday, and will update everyone with my findings.

-Tim-

I used to be the IS director for the Pediatric Oncology Group and then for the Children's Oncology Group Research Data Center. If you've never been to a pediatric hematology/oncology ward, you can't believe what these little guys go through. At least with an adult, they can understand why things are being done (not that it makes it much easier), but to see a child fighting for their life is absolutely heart breaking. If anyone ever has the opportunity to help one of these kids or one of the groups that works with these kids, you'll never believe the satisfaction you will feel.

Bill

Update for Sasha and Yulia 10/16/03

Howdy,

:tab Just wanted to let everybody know what is going on with Sasha and Yulia.

Hey there guys,

we just got out of the hospital yesterday morning after another grueling
chemo round (fourth out of five). It was a little more difficult this time,
as the effects of the chemo are cumulative and Sasha was running really high
fevers, well over 103F, and was nauseated quite a bit. But the side effects
seem to be gone now and she is back to her normal cheerful self. She
continues to stay in remission, which is great, and hopefully if things go
as well as they have been so far we may not need the bone marrow transplant,
which is a huge ordeal as you can imagine.

Adios,

:bigokay: Great to hear she is hanging in there, and getting better. I don't know Yulia, or Sasha, but I wish them BOTH the best, and will pray for Sasha's healing, and Yulias peace of mind. Still needing platelets?
TR
El Centro CA

:tab I am not sure. I'll check on the platelet stuff. You can donate anywhere in her name. I'll get back with the details.

Adios,

Contact: prichard@ev1.net for details about donating. The donations need to be scheduled so that she gets the platelets when she needs them. Pete is the guy in charge of all of this. He is a member here, username "Pete"

Adios,

Howdy,

:tab Just want to let everyone know that Sasha is still in need of B- platelet donors. Please contact Pete Richard at prichard@ev1.net for details if you'd like to help out. It would certainly be appreciated.

Adios,

Tourmeister said:
Howdy,

:tab Just want to let everyone know that Sasha is still in need of B- platelet donors. Please contact Pete Richard at prichard@ev1.net for details if you'd like to help out. It would certainly be appreciated.

Adios,

I emailed him last weekend, but haven't heard back from him. Might be due to me being A-. not sure if thats interchangable. If you happen to talk with him, feel free to pass on my email, if I can help.
herodt@yahoo.com

TR
El Centro CA
(TX bound 6 days and counting)

Our scheduled donor was not able to give due to some technicality at the center, and I am now urgently looking for a B- or O- donor who would be able to give platelets for Sasha some time tomorrow. Gulf Coast Center said they are open tomorrow at least at their main facility at 1400 La Concha Lane, Houston, Texas 77054 (1-888-482-5663) and through the city so there may be a more convenient location to give.

You'll need Sasha's full name and record number:

Name: Alexandra Dvorak
DOB: 10/22/96
Hospital: Texas Childrens
Medical Record #: 8790980

Please call me first if you are able to go at 713-291-4915. This is really the home stretch, another one or two weeks and she won't need any more transfusions!!!

Thank you guys so very much!

Yuliya

Howdy,

:tab This just in from Yulia:

Sasha is doing great, we are having wonderful holidays. She is feeling well, all done with treatments, and we are just waiting for her blood counts to recover. She is scheduled for the bone marrow biopsy on Jan. 2nd, I'll let you guys know the results as soon as we find something out.

Thank you again!

Hugs,

Yuliya and Sasha

Adios,

Back