• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Gearing up for warmer Klims

Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Last Name
Phenix
Some time ago I made the decision to begin upgrading the rain linings in all my gear to bona fide Gore Tex. I have made progress and so far I've been very pleased. In summer heat I ride in an Olympia Stealth onesie.
P1010419-L.jpg

Its textile/mesh design offers great ventilation but there's no waterproof layer whatsoever. Warm weather is coming and so is the rain and I absolutely abhor the vinyl rain suit I have to wear over the Stealth. I read with interest on ADV of riders having success with Gore Tex Paclite backpacking gear. I patiently watched items on ebay and eventually scored. The pants I found bear the Cabela's brand and cost me $40. It's amazing how lightweight the material is. And the quality is excellent. All zippers are waterproof and the cuff zippers go to the knee. http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=750836
IMAG0624-XL.jpg

Most of the jackets listed were designed for snowboarding or winter expeditions - too heavy for summer. Finally one appeared and it was even motorcycle specific. The Klim Stowaway Gore Tex Paclite jacket was exactly what I was looking for. I would have bid all the way to its $199 retail but luckily won it for half that figure. It's last year's model (new with tags) but I actually think I like the style better. The new model is a solid color and comes with a hood. http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/klim-stow-away-jacket
IMAG0628-XL.jpg

Like the pants the jacket is lightweight and breathable and has waterproof zippers. The front pocket becomes its own stuff sack.
IMAG0627-XL.jpg

The plan is to don the Paclite gear under my Olympia textile / mesh suit. So far so good.
IMAG0629-XL.jpg

I have worn the new rain gear around the house for over an hour with no sign of clamminess. This stuff is surprisingly cool and comfortable.

Another advantage of the "Paclite" line, since it was designed for backpacking, it and packs very small. I was still surprised when the items I ordered arrived in standard 9x12 envelopes. Here's the Klim jacket in its own built-in pouch.
IMAG0631-L.jpg

And here's the jacket and pants together. :)
IMAG0632-XL.jpg

I'm as frugal (cheap) as they come but sometimes you just have to throw money at a problem. I think I'm ready for summer now. I'll report again after the first Texas deluge.

Oh, and if anybody wants a worn 3 or 4 times Tourmaster Elite rain suit cheap, let me know. :trust:

I have seen Gore Tex Paclite rain gear offered by Cabela's, Marmot, North Face and several other outdoor outfitters.

Last edited:
What about your hands? My riding suit has a liner. The suit is mesh. The rain goes through the mesh, hits the liner, runs down my arms right into my gloves, and my hands are soaked. Other than that, the liners work great, but they are a tad toasty.

What about your hands? My riding suit has a liner. The suit is mesh. The rain goes through the mesh, hits the liner, runs down my arms right into my gloves, and my hands are soaked. Other than that, the liners work great, but they are a tad toasty.

Yeah that's a problem. In the heat I wear some beefy REVIT! Dirt gloves and don't care if my hands get wet. They dry quickly. I am looking for a Gore Tex summer glove for milder temps and longer rides. My winter jacket, the REVIT! Defender solves this problem with huge cuff zips. I can peel the outer sleeves back and pull the Gore Tex liner over my gauntlets making a much more positive rain seal. I absolutely love it.
revit-defender-gtx-jacket-sleeve-vent.jpg

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/rev-it/defender-gtx-jacket-review/

So if I can just find some waterproof summer gloves with thin gauntlets that will fit inside my new Klim jacket's cuffs, I'll be all set. :rider:

BTW: so far this Gore Tex Paclite stuff seems surprisingly breathable. :clap:

Last edited:
UPDATE:

Last Thursday 6/13:
My new summer rain ensemble includes the Klim Stowaway Gore Tex Paclite jacket that I wear under my mesh suit and have had the privilege of using in 40 miles of wind driven rain thus far. Not only did I stay dry, I was very impressed at how breathable it is - the wind through the wet mesh exterior actually gives a cooling effect. I'll have to get back to you on the Cabela's pants though - they're not moto specific and may allow seepage through the non-gusseted zippers. Stay tuned. At any rate, I'm done with vinyl. Hope this helps.

Tuesday 6/18:
Another substantial thunderstorm this evening - not a frog strangler but substantial nonetheless - in which I rode maybe 25 miles through big hard-hitting Texas size raindrops. Again, the cooling effect of the wind blowing through the soaked mesh against the Gore Tex Paclite material is remarkable. Last Thursday, I wore jeans under the Paclite rain pants and my pants legs got soaked several inches from the cuff. Now I believe the jeans were simply exposed below the rain pants in the wind because today I rode with rain pants without jeans and the tops of my boots stayed dry. The Cabela's pants did not leak. In fact, I arrived home totally dry under my gear. I know these are abbreviated challenges and the real test will require riding hours in a sustained downpour. So far though, I am pleased.

I turned on the shop fan on my wet gear so everything will be dry by morning.

IMAG0080-XL.jpg

Yeah that's a problem. In the heat I wear some beefy REVIT! Dirt gloves and don't care if my hands get wet. They dry quickly. I am looking for a Gore Tex summer glove for milder temps and longer rides. My winter jacket, the REVIT! Defender solves this problem with huge cuff zips. I can peel the outer sleeves back and pull the Gore Tex liner over my gauntlets making a much more positive rain seal. I absolutely love it.
revit-defender-gtx-jacket-sleeve-vent.jpg

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/rev-it/defender-gtx-jacket-review/

I understand the Tiez Motosports suit has oversized gusseted cuffs with Gore Tex Proshell that looks like it would work well too.

So if I can just find some waterproof summer gloves with thin gauntlets that will fit inside my new Klim jacket's cuffs, I'll be all set. :rider:

BTW: so far this Gore Tex Paclite stuff seems surprisingly breathable. :clap:

Hey Scott, I discovered a lightweight Gore Tex lined glove I think I'm going to try. It's the Dianese Valeta.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/dainese-veleta-x-trafit-gore-tex-gloves

I'm sure Moto Liberty will have these too.

I blasted 85 miles on I-10 to Houston a couple of weeks ago in sustained heavy rain. The Klim jacket is absolutely stellar! :clap:

The Cabela's pants however, although fine for hiking, allowed water in through the fly zipper at highway speed. I made a call to their customer service dept and discovered the model I have was discontinued 4 years ago and replaced by pants with a draw string elastic waist and no fly or front pockets. So back to ebay I go. I scored a "more recent" pair for about the same money. I think I'm in good shape now.

When I reached my destination, the dog show at Reliant, I shed the wet mesh suit and locked it to the bike and walked in wearing the paclite gear. I was surprised how quickly the material dries. When it was time to go, donning the wet suit was a little disconcerting but I really enjoyed the cooling effect of the wind blowing through the wet mesh.

:rider:

Klim was a major sponsor/vendor at last year's IBA meet in Denver and they sold a ton of gear that week. In the LD world I think they are starting to give Aerostich a run for their money.

Agreed. I expect to see even more great things from Klim since being purchased by Polaris. I noticed a new Victory textile gear line at the dealership.

Back