• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Bike running hot or!?

Reaction score
Soooo yesterday while riding for a short bit to visit Dad who is visiting, etc. Did a short 60 miles or so but noticed on the way home that the fan kept coming on every few minutes in not so slow moving traffic almost every time I stopped at a light. Normally I wouldn't be too concerned but it was coming on quiet a bit and it was below 80 out there sooooo... I recall reading that the caps go bad or at least that's what Holeshots page said. And I recall that being a possible issue as my car did that till I changed the cap as the pressure no longer holds and thus the vehicle starts running hot from the lower boiling point, etc. Anybody else have this weirdness!? No puking out the bottle yet but... I have no problem ordering a cap from Dale but its gonna be a few days till I get it so figured I'd ask! :)

PS: My coolant also has not been changed in case that matters. It WILL be dumped this year though! :trust:

Soooo yesterday while riding for a short bit to visit Dad who is visiting, etc. Did a short 60 miles or so but noticed on the way home that the fan kept coming on every few minutes in not so slow moving traffic almost every time I stopped at a light. Normally I wouldn't be too concerned but it was coming on quiet a bit and it was below 80 out there sooooo... I recall reading that the caps go bad or at least that's what Holeshots page said. And I recall that being a possible issue as my car did that till I changed the cap as the pressure no longer holds and thus the vehicle starts running hot from the lower boiling point, etc. Anybody else have this weirdness!? No puking out the bottle yet but... I have no problem ordering a cap from Dale but its gonna be a few days till I get it so figured I'd ask! :)

PS: My coolant also has not been changed in case that matters. It WILL be dumped this year though! :trust:

Your coolant has not been changed, and it will be dumped this year obviously doesn't matter to you, so come on now, no need to fly off the handle and perform some needed over do maintenance on your bike, as it can just lead to you performing other things that you have put off doing your your bike, but then again, probably not. :-P :eek2: :doh:

As always thanks for answering the question while assuming I'm like 90% of riders who don't take care of their bikes! Haven't missed any maintenance including all the other stuff your supposed to do except getting rid of the coolant and plugs this year... :clap:

As always thanks for answering the question while assuming I'm like 90% of riders who don't take care of their bikes! Haven't missed any maintenance including all the other stuff your supposed to do except getting rid of the coolant and plugs this year... :clap:

So you still have the original factory plugs in the bike?

All razzing aside, If your radiator cap is bad and opening up at a lower pressure, you would see excess coolant on the recovery tank which would then overflow out the drain tube underneath the bike, providing that the cooling system is filled to the correct level with coolant. So when is the last time you checked that the cooling system if filled to the bottom of the neck on the thermostat housing, and that the coolant recovery tank is also filled to the correct level. A bad thermostat can also make your bike over heat, also having to high a coolant to water mixture. So have you checked to make sure that the radiator and the hoses are getting hot after the bike has fully warmed up, which is one way to tell if the thermostat is bad.

Coolant was at neck level about 5k ago when I had the cap off for whatever reason. Also saw the res tank around that time too was a smidgen below low but not much. Just ran the bike an hour ago at idle roughly 6 minutes later the thermostat opened when the other radiator hose got hot. I have a cap on order either way and will be changed when it arrives. I will pay attention this weekend to the bike when I ride it and see if I hear any bubbles, etc.

Coolant was at neck level about 5k ago when I had the cap off for whatever reason. Also saw the res tank around that time too was a smidgen below low but not much. Just ran the bike an hour ago at idle roughly 6 minutes later the thermostat opened when the other radiator hose got hot. I have a cap on order either way and will be changed when it arrives. I will pay attention this weekend to the bike when I ride it and see if I hear any bubbles, etc.

Have you ever inspected the fins on the radiator to make sure that their, not plugged up with bugs or dirt by shinning a light from the back side, to see if the fins look dirty or blocked, and if so, you'll need to pull the radiator and back flush the fins out with a strong string of water, after spraying the fins with a full strength good cleaner/degreaser like simple green and letting it soak in for awhile. You'll also want to straighten out any bent fins that will also block the air flow through the radiator.

Back