• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

The 2007 Suzuki Bandit 1250S -The Mega Thread

Reasons I chose the Bandit over the FZ1 initially.

1) Hydraulic clutch vs Cable.
2) Cheaper then FZ1.
3) More useable power down low don't have to hit high rpms to pass.

Then after buying it found another good reason. FZ1 is sometimes considered a sport bike ie MUCH higher insurance but the Bandit is a standard so TONS cheaper! :)

Kinda reminds me of a decision of which bike to keep of two bikes I had several years ago. A DRZ 400 and my KLR650. Both near the same power but delivered very different. Then later , ditto with a DR650. In the End, both the Suzukis were sold. Hauled the DRZ and the KLR to Big Bend on a trailer to make the decision. Went I got home, I sold the DRZ400. Even though much lighter and better suspension than my old trusty KLR 650, the easy riding, low end torque of the KLR made it much more fun for me at over 60 years old. Ditto for the DR650 I tried locally for several months.
The Bandit is the same way, loads of bottom end to loaf around town or pass on the road without a down shift. Much easier to ride day after day when touring.

Well that was entertaining.
On a side note is there anything more I can do to soften my rear shock?
I've already dialed it down to the lowest setting for the pre-loadand it still feels solid, I bang every bump and crack on the road. :rider:
Is there a dampening adjustment?

Yeah it did create a laugh or two.

As for the rear shock I replaced mine around 60000km with a Ohlins, it made a huge improvement. Also changed the front springs with a couple from Dale at HoleShot performance.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 178
I've been moving slow also since my wreck last summer. LOL! Since I put the bandit back together, I've only done about 4.5K miles on it. But, hoping to spend some money on the worn out suspension this winter. Seems the roads down here are getting more and more beat up. Makes me use the KLR more for most things local.
The Bandit has been returned to very near this state , the main difference being I finally took the paint off the wheel rim due to it be scratched up from multiple tire changes.
0803BanditCamronFerry.jpg

The my 14 year old KLR which is painted John Deere green at present.
PICT0010.jpg

What is the mileage on the '43 type Andrus Chesley?! :mrgreen:

Heck Greg, I think that ometer broke long ago. LOL. But, sitting idle today. Just had eyes checked for new glasses and still dilated. Sigh!

In looking at the Intermot pics out the Bandit is going back to half fairing for 2015 and ABS standard.

I like the look of the new Bandit fairing, but I can't see Suzuki bringing it back to the states. I think the GSX1000s will sell well and compete with the Kawasaki Z1000 and Ninja 1000.

Always preferred the half fairing or no faring, Like the European models. Just something about that big engine hanging out there

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 169
Perhaps now with the new Bandit on its way, it's time to get down to the dealers and pick up a decent low mileage second hand model 1250 of the old stock. I am of the opinion that as soon as the new models are on the showroom floor the older 1250 second hand versions will drop considerably in price. I remember back in '07 when the new 1250 was announced, the older brand new 1200's went for an absolute steal just to clear out stock.

Around here, 2nd hand 1250's are already pretty cheap, and dealers have very few new ones in stock. However, unlike the transition from 06 to 07, there appear to be very few differences between the new and old models except for the fairing. But I imagine if you're looking, deals can be found.

I bought my '07 in '08 for a very good price drop. I've only heard to two other Bandits around my parts. An '06 1200 and a friend just bought an FA after doing a test ride on mine. That's it. They just don't sell.

1997 Bandit parts, engine etc

I have it posted in the FS thread, but I thought I might mention it here. Have a 97 1200S with front end crash damage. About 50K on the bike, engine is good, case guards are good, good Corbin seat, fork brace, bar brace, bar risers, D&D exhaust but header pipes bent, Stage II jet kit on the carbs, Suzuki factory rear rack.

If interested call or text for pics at nine 0 nine 268 twelve 0 seven. or PM me.

Bike is located in South Houston with a clear Texas title.

Just when I think I've decided to sell my bandit after +70K miles and 5 years , I spend a day on it on fair smooth roads and fall in love all over again. Sigh! :rider:

Since I bought my Bandit in August of last year, my wife and I have been able to ride at least once each month. I thought this was going to be the first month that didn't happen, but it warmed up and was a beautiful day, although it was pretty windy.

Great ride, great day, great bike.

RFT!!!
Dave Kelsen
--
I wish life were more like a musical so when I burst into song at the bus stop, people would stop staring at me. It might also make them more inclined to learn the chorus and the dance numbers.

Baseline suspension settings?

This is for achesley mostly, but others may have good input as well:

On the last good high-speed flog of the Bandit, it was just weak-kneed in fast [80-110] sweepers, especially compared to the stock, Gen1 FZ1 I was chasing. Today a peek in the owner's manual gave the answer: both ends of the suspension were set by PO at absolute minimum preload!

So, to dial in the best combination of settings, what is a recommended starting point? 210 lb rider + gear + Givi PLX setup, no passenger ever, and an LV pipe shaves a few lbs I guess. If I can talk the wife into helping I may be able to get close with a sag adjustment, but that's still just to get into the ballpark. 2008 1250SA has a mere 10.5 k miles.

On a personal note, this is a problem I never expected to need to fix, as health issues had me just about convinced it was time to hang up the helmet. Thanks to modern medicine, there seem to be more riding years left, as my best 2-wheeling buddy and I both get onto the SS train very soon and can take the time for touring.

Not looking to minimize chicken strips - just good sport-touring.

Gratefully,

t110

Old rule of thumb is setting loaded sag at 1/3 of travel. I use a tie wrap to do the front. And wife or Granddaughter to do the back. I'm cranked all the way down on the front to achieve right at 1.8 to 2". But I'm still stock on the suspension with over 70,000 miles on it. So, it's quite worn I'm sure. Plus, I only use ATF in my forks so that's going act a bit different when the forks have to work over bumps and stuff in a corner.
Course you can do a google search on setting sag and get all kinds of slightly different opinions on Race sag to Street sag and tire pressures to go with it.

So you set the tie wrap at loaded sag and then measure from there back up to unloaded?

I put it on loose with the bike unloaded. As you load it , the tie wrap slides up. Then when unloaded , you have the travel. I also wipe down the fork tubes with WD 40 and work them a few times trying to minimize fork stiction.
I was also remembering a guy that had build a little tool to measure the rear travel with a little telescoping rod when attending one of the seminars on Setting Sag at one of the many BMW Rallies I use to go to across the country. Never built one though.

Just sort of a reminder to anyone interested. I'd like to get $1K for it because the engine is good and all of the accessories on it, but make me an offer.

I have it posted in the FS thread, but I thought I might mention it here. Have a 97 1200S with front end crash damage. About 50K on the bike, engine is good, case guards are good, good Corbin seat, fork brace, bar brace, bar risers, D&D exhaust but header pipes bent, Stage II jet kit on the carbs, Suzuki factory rear rack.

If interested call or text for pics at nine 0 nine 268 twelve 0 seven. or PM me.

Bike is located in South Houston with a clear Texas title.

To all my fellow Bandit Riders whom I shared info with for the last 6 years of Bandit ownership.
MerryChristmas.jpg

Back