• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Very Tall Handlebar

Reaction score
I see a lot of KTM's with really tall handlebar. Obviously, it'll allow more comfortable stand-on-the-peg riding. But how will that affect the sit-on-the-saddle type of riding, like when you're making a sharp turn or riding on sand?

I added a 1" taller handlebar on my KX 100, and I can feel a big difference. I don't know what it is; I feel like I've loss some control when sitting. I'm guessing that the taller bar makes me sit up straight or lean back. I need to go another 1.5" taller for comfortable standing position.

Just trying to get some opinion before spending 200 bucks on riser/triple clamp and custom cables.

I would bet money that your riding position needs some polishing. Most people I see that have risers plus tall bars want to stand straight up and down with their knees in full lock. For that, yes ape hangers are the way to go. But that is horrid posture for dirt riding.

How tall are you? My Wife is 5'4" and the stock bars on her KX actually fit her very well when she remembers to maintain proper body position.

I'm 5'7" and keep stock height bars. I think Riser Bars and such are meant for people with long torsos so they aren't bent over while riding. I don't think I'd like Riser Bars for my height. And I've never lowered any of my bikes. I just set the suspension correctly for my body weight and you'd be amazed on how different your bike responds (a positive response that is).

Last edited:
I see a lot of KTM's with really tall handlebar. Obviously, it'll allow more comfortable stand-on-the-peg riding. But how will that affect the sit-on-the-saddle type of riding, like when you're making a sharp turn or riding on sand?

I added a 1" taller handlebar on my KX 100, and I can feel a big difference. I don't know what it is; I feel like I've loss some control when sitting. I'm guessing that the taller bar makes me sit up straight or lean back. I need to go another 1.5" taller for comfortable standing position.

Just trying to get some opinion before spending 200 bucks on riser/triple clamp and custom cables.

If your goal is to ride as fast and efficiently as possible on a true dirt bike, then tall bars are not the answer. As you have found, tall bars on a dirt bike have a negative effect on turning capability. It will also affect climbing ability too. It is a matter of proper leverage. Look at the fastest race bike set ups out there. The pro MX and SX guys all run low or neutral handle bar positions.

Nothing wrong with plus or minus an inch or so, but much more than that and it is doing more harm than good.

I am 6'0" and I took the 2" risers off my DRZ the day i bought it from a 5'6" guy. I didn't understand why he had them on there but maybe it was so he could stand up with locked knees. I agree, the risers make the handling very sloppy.

I am 6'0" and I took the 2" risers off my DRZ the day i bought it from a 5'6" guy. I didn't understand why he had them on there but maybe it was so he could stand up with locked knees. I agree, the risers make the handling very sloppy.

Maybe he used it to bring the bar closer to him, not higher.

Btw, John, you need to bring DRZ to the next BVORR open ride. Awesome place. A lot more fun than the Forest.
FEB 9TH AND FEB 23RD: http://www.texasoffroad.net/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/548925/Next_Open_Ride_Dates_Brazos_Va

On a dirt bike you don't need the bars further back. This just makes it harder to leverage your weight over the front end. Honestly I can't think of one reason for bar risers on a dirt bike if you have correct posture. I am 6"1' and the Wife's KX100 didn't feel cramped one bit top to bottom. It did feel cramped front to rear, but nothing short of putting the bars another 8" forward of stock would help that.

Bar risers are typically a bandaid for poor posture from what I have seen in the past.

In general bar risers on dirt bikes don't help handling, but they may improve comfort, especially when not pushing it, pace-wise. Or they can be a crutch for bad posture.

That said, everybody is built differently. I have a long torso and short arms (I can't stand with my hands in my pockets because I have to reach down to get to them). As a result I am leaning forward more than most people on a bike. I compensate by crowding the tank because when I was younger I didn't know you could get different bar bends, etc. Bar risers will actually put me in the same posture as many people with stock positioning.

KTM bar clamps are offset and they have 2 mounting holes. So you have 4 positions to choose from as far as fwd and back adjustments. Also, if you run a damper that is not an underclamp type, that will raise your bars a bit as well.

When riding through the tight stuff at speed, you want your crotch as close to the gas tank cap as possible. Elbows up and out. Helmet should also be right over the handlebars. When standing, you shouldn't have to bend over much to reach the bars. You should be leaning a bit forward and back straight.

KX100 does need higher bars for bigger people as do the CR85s and such. It is hard to find a tall mini bar that works well.

Here...critik my riding posture...my elbows are locked...my back not straight...uncomfortable after a while...need taller bars?

[ame="http://vimeo.com/57106066"]test1 on Vimeo[/ame]

Here...critik my riding posture...my elbows are locked...my back not straight...uncomfortable after a while...need taller bars?

test1 on Vimeo

Bend your knees more, stick your butt out, lean forward, and elbows out. Those are all the things that need to be worked on from the short video clip. Basically you need to quit trying to stand up straight. Trust me, standing up straight is not what you want to do on a dirt bike. Your body can't adjust to any bump or change in speed whatsoever. Come back up to Red River one of these days and I will be glad to give some pointers if you want.

This might help a little bit more. This is Trey Canard, who is probably about the same height at you. Sure he is a pro and he is attacking a whoop section when this picture was taken, but it helps illustrate perfect riding posture for dirt bikes. His weight is shifted back at the moment the shot was taken, he can very easily shift front to back with his body in that position. So no matter what the track throws at him, he can adjust quickly to compensate. If it was me, I would focus on proper posture, and then if that fails in 6 months, I would look at changing things on the bike. But usually in my experiences, the only folks that need tall bars + risers are guys that flat out say they just want to be able to stand straight up and down because any other way makes them tired, or guys that are over 6'3" and really do need a little extra height in the bars.

But I really would focus on posture before dropping money on the bike. Not only will it be cheaper, but it will end up making you a much better rider.

TC41_2_586179.jpg

So you don't think I need a taller bar?

Not until you fix your posture.

+1
Also I'm surprised that the small wheeled KX fits you as well as it does. When you bought it I thought it would be too small for you but it's not. Good fit!

Also...ATGATT
You would be amazed how much skin will be ground down on your hands, face, etc. during a 20mph get off on asphalt. Made especially easy by knobby tires on wet pavement like in your video.

_

I don't use risers on my ktm but I have 3/4 and 1inch risers on my klx and dr. My jap ds bikes are also a form of a touring bike for me so when im casually riding the backroads I want a bit more upright position. By the way, a small riser can really change the feel, at least to me.

I agree with all stated about riding position. You cannot have a good off road position standing totally erect and knees locked.

Back