• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

off road pants?? what to buy for trail riding?

ltw9r

Reaction score
I have been looking at some pants to buy for riding.... I just want something that is comfortable to ride in....I was planning on buying some mx pants like these...

http://www.cyclegear.com/eng/product/2012_element_off_road_motorcycle_pants/web1008315

But I have been thinking more about some over the boot pants like these...

http://www.cyclegear.com/eng/product/2012_static_off_road_motorcycle_pants/web1008923

Opinions? I plan on trail riding 90% of the time... Some of the over the boot pants also have pockets... that would be a big + also....

I am new to riding... rode some when I was a kid... but we never had any protective gear... :lol:

I have already bought a helmet, goggles, gloves, and some boots... just looking for a comfortable riding pant...

I like Klim pants. They make both in and over boots pants with zippered pockets and they do not look like something from a costume show.

I like over the boot pants just because the water/mud doesn't end up running down into my boot. Plus I used to do a lot of dual sport and the pockets for keys and wallet were nice. Downside is that every once in a while you catch the bottom on a footpeg when you go to put your foot down and that can get interesting fast. :lol2:

Definitely check these out. Look good, high quality, fit good and priced right. Have all the important features for me. Did five days in Big Bend with them and no issues whatsoever, zippers, stitching, velcro, etc. all top notch. Got home, threw them in the washing machine, drip dry, shot of leather conditioner on the leg panels and they look like new. Haven't crashed with them on yet so cannot attest to their durability but they look as strong as any other.

Highly recommended and a bargain at less than half the price of name brand pants.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/43/-/439/741/-/27926/A.R.C.-Back-Country-Foul-Weather-Pants-2012/ARC+FOUL+WEATHER+PANTS

_

I forgot to add, the links you posted are lightweight MX pants. Lighter and cooler but also much less protection so for me not ideal for trail riding. Cooler in the summer is a big plus but so would be riding without full boots or helmet. Comfort and protection usually requires a compromise.

_

I wear offroad pads/guards under mine when doing single track. For DS use I just use old street pants that have built in protection.

I prefer the in-boot off road pants. Watch Cycle Gear or one of the on line m/c suppliers for "last" years colors/styles and you can save a chunk of change. If I'm in the forest a have a backpack on and my keys and ID go in it do I don't need the pockets in the pants.

Posting with Tapatalk for iPhone.

Inside the boot or over the boot is a personal preference I guess.

For me the over the boot are better at keeping out dust, mud and water. They have a gator under the leg that seals well around the boot. Inside the boot pants can be like a funnel allowing water to go into the boot. I don't like boots so tight around my shins to try and seal out the elements and then they never really will totally seal anyway. I also stuff shin/knee guards into my boots so that prevents boot top from wrapping around for a good seal.

Also since I ride dual sport over the boot pants don't make you look as dorky walking into stores, gas stations and restaurants either. Kinda tones down the racer look a little and pants legs also protect your bike some from boot buckle rash also.

_

I have both styles and use them both. In the end, I prefer the over the boot for the reasons stated above. I don't care how dry it is or how long of a drought we are in, you will somehow find water and it will end up in your boots. Once it gets hot again, however, I am certain I will revert back to the cooler in-the-boot pants because I simply can't take the heat.

I also have both an like both. My over the boot pants are much hotter than my in boot, so they get worn in the winter and when I know I'm going to be going thru lots of and water (especially on the quad) since they're water proof
My in boot pants get worn on the forest and when it's hot. I feel like I can move around better in them. Especially since I wear my knee/shin guards on the outside of them. The over the boot pants feel very restrictive with the knee pads under them.

Thanks for the suggestions.....

I'm a big boy (gravitationally challenged), but I was able to find some in the boot pants on clearance from Dennis Kirk. They should be here later this week, with some other things I needed for mine and the kids bikes...

Trying to get gear for me and the 2 kids squared away... and get a couple of small things fixed on the bikes... $$$ every time I turn around :lol:

Joe Rocket Mesh pants over nylon shorts

jeans are good if it is dry not muddy

there is a lot of stuff at Academy Sports that will work, ski pants for cold and wet

Definitely check these out. Look good, high quality, fit good and priced right. Have all the important features for me. Did five days in Big Bend with them and no issues whatsoever, zippers, stitching, velcro, etc. all top notch. Got home, threw them in the washing machine, drip dry, shot of leather conditioner on the leg panels and they look like new. Haven't crashed with them on yet so cannot attest to their durability but they look as strong as any other.

Highly recommended and a bargain at less than half the price of name brand pants.

http:

//www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/43/-/439/741/-/27926/A.R.C.-Back-Country-Foul-Weather-Pants-2012/ARC+FOUL+WEATHER+PANTS

_

Maybe for a cold weather pant, especially wet and cold, but those would be miserable for me for an every day pant here in Texas, at least for trail riding. Way too hot. I ride in vented gear year round unless conditions are extremely cold or wet.

If you are tall, the only over the boot pants that work are KLIM, because they come in tall sizes. I am all for saving money, but not at the expense of wearing high waters.

Maybe for a cold weather pant, especially wet and cold, but those would be miserable for me for an every day pant here in Texas, at least for trail riding. Way too hot. I ride in vented gear year round unless conditions are extremely cold or wet.

Jury is still out on how hot they get, 100 degree high humidity day in the forest will answer that this summer. But it got into the 90's at Big Bend and I was fine. But I also ride with an expedition type jacket because of full armor and the extra protection it gives for dual sporting. Open all vents and it is amazing cool as long as you don't stop or go too slow, haha I will gladly suffer some heat discomfort to be fully protected in case of a 70mph get off.

_

I will gladly suffer some heat discomfort to be fully protected in case of a 70mph get off.

_

Not many guys can "trail ride" at 70 mph, which is what the original poster was asking about. Do you have a factory ride?:mrgreen:

Also, I am friends and ride a lot with some of the guys that are hard working local dealers here. I wouldn't feel right showing up for a ride with them in Rocky Mountain MC's house brand of riding gear. That's just me.

I went with the Fly racing "CoolPro mesh pants", they don't break the bank and come with padded knees and a zip out liner for wet stuff, also have internal pockets for hip pads. I found these pants quite comfortable and cool in hot weather. If you need more padding you can go with some of the padded shorts under the pants.

I wore moose sahara gear also in the summer. I used to DS in my XC race gear...chest protector and all. Let em stare...I'm riding a dirt bike on the street anyways.

Back