• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

We Survived MOAMP

In Clarkesville, we pulled into a car wash and hosed down not only JT’s bike but JT as well. It really was a good way to clean the mud off his pants, jacket and gloves. But it did leave him even more chilled.

At camp, I pushed him toward the showers while I made simple dinner of canned beans and grilled sausage. Tomorrow we will assess the bike….

Next day, we both slept late. John did not stir til 9am. The morning is cool, clear and breezy. Priorities--John is online, searching for a replacement phone. His got ruined in MOAMP. (The contents of his wallet are spread out to dry on the floorboard of the truck. And all our riding gear is spread out on the trailer to dry.

456-XL.jpg

The majority of the day is spent gathering supplies and performing multiple oil changes.

460-XL.jpg

464-XL.jpg

"We thought you was a toad."

Late afternoon, we go for a ride and the bike runs normally. It is not burning oil but it remains unclear as to whether the engine has been damaged.

We stop for gas and chat with a couple of riders.

465-XL.jpg

We visit Horsehead Lake and falls. Beautiful!

468-XL.jpg

(sorry about the thumb...)

470-XL.jpg

475-XL.jpg

476-XL.jpg

I was once told to drain the bad oil and use either diesel or kerosene to flush the oil system until it comes out clean, then refill with new oil. This is MUCH cheaper than buying new oil and repeatedly flushing with new oil until it comes out clean. I've not tried this, but it came from two guys that were long time riders and racers. We were being told this because one of them had just totally submerged an XR400 up to the handle bars! They used it as an opportunity to teach the group how to clear and refire a bike after ingesting water. Carrying a small can of WD-40 or starter fluid is also a good idea if you know you will be doing water crossings. Once you get the plug(s) pulled and the water pumped out, use the spray on the plug and cylinder to help displace the water. This makes it MUCH easier to get the bike to fire again!!

Gina and JT, what an adventure and fantastic job of taking us with you! My feet feel cold and wet just watching the videos.

Sure hope your XR is fine. Great job of keeping everything moving forward!

At first I laughed, by the 3rd video I felt bad for you guys . Then I realized ......no story without the drama .

Glad the bikes are fine . Sorry about the phone , that always sucks .

At first I laughed, by the 3rd video I felt bad for you guys . Then I realized ......no story without the drama .

Drama = Adventure riding ;-)

It's not adventure without the challenges...

Thanks for the comments y'all.

Was going to do the final installment tonight but it has gotten too late...

Will hafta wait til after the Junction TARA camp and ride.

Back