• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Why migrate to a Maxi Scooter?

Reaction score
This is partly in response to a PM sent to me asking that question. Since it took me a while to get to the answer, I thought it might be worth discussing here on the open forum.

Actually, when I first started thinking about riding again after some 20 years and a lot of wear and tear, I wasn't thinking about scooters. But bikes have changed so much that even though I had over 30 years riding under my belt, I felt like a newbie.

Also, though I am loathe to face it, my ability to physically handle a bike has diminished in small ways and large. Picking up a dropped bike would be a problem now. Heck, even getting my leg over the seat is problematical. Possible still, but not easy and far, far from graceful.

Keeping a single riding position for very long would be difficult. That means comfort is more of a priority. Feet are numb from diabetes, so I'm not all that sure about how well I could handle a foot gearshift. Since I really can't afford a bike purely as a toy, it would need to have the storage for grocery store runs and the like. And since I no longer have the tools, the patience, or the ability go scoot around on the floor, doing my own maintenance is not an option. So it would need to be ultra reliable.

So I made a list:

ABS for safety
Good storage
Good fairing and screen
Shaft drive for minimal maintenance
Water cooled (Texas summers)
Upright seating position, legs not tucked.
Medium displacement and weight
Reputation for reliability
Automatic shifting of some kind probably a good idea.

You good folks on this forum were very helpful, and someone suggested the Bergman 650, so I checked it out.

Initially I didn't know there was much difference in scooters other than displacement. But after doing the research I discovered Maxi Scooters such as the Bergie 650 (but not 400), the Honda Silverwing, and the Yamaha TMax were more like bikes than the scooters they outwardly resemble: Engine mounted on the frame, dual cylinders for smoother ride, larger wheels, and so on. Each point arguable, but the overall mix makes Maxi Scooters very similar to "real" bikes in every way that counts except looks, and at my age, looks are pretty far down list of concerns. And now, even BMW is about to make a Maxi Scooter. Apparently they read the stats on aging boomers.

So, while I haven't bought the Burgie 650 yet - I'm still considering the new BMW C650 and hoping for a road review soon - I'm pretty close, and I've definitely decided it will be one or the other.

Sounds like you did your research and that Burgie will fit your needs. What kind of riding will you be doing?

Around town and weekend overnight jaunts at first. If that works out I'd like to get back into touring, visit family in Wisconsin, friends on East coast, etc. Ambitious, I know, but big dreams cost no more than the little ones.

Hey XBeemer, you've really done your homework to assess your wants and needs. I feel that people have to look at evaluate scooters based on what the entire package is capable of delivering compared to a few performance parameters to really appreciate scooters. I wish you well in your search for your next bike and look forward to hearing about your next bike.

David

Between the FJR and the Burgman 650, the Burgman is a dream to handle and for ease of use. I find myself riding the Burgman more and more. We haven't had any issues with her either.

I rode Jena's Burgman 650 home from Mineola back to Shreveport when we purchased it a couple+ of years ago. It is the easiest motorcycle ride that I have ever experienced. The Burgman is heavy, but the most of the weight is below knee-high -- just gas and go and brake to to stop. Rides out very well on the highway. :rider:

If you just don't want to put your feet down -- or if you need more room for groceries, you can add a Texas Ranger Sidecar:sun::
get-photo.asp

The Burgman 650 is an acceptable general purpose bike. It's not the fastest thing around but it won't be holding up traffic either. It won't handle like a sport bike but it will get down a twisty road at a rate that might surprise you and a few folks on conventional bikes. It makes a pretty good one up touring bike but is a little down on power for serious 2 up touring.

It gets decent gas mileage. It has good storage space. It has decent weather protection but most folks find the windshield lacking and replace it with an aftermarket unit. I have a Clearview with a vent on mine. Some folks like the seat and others hate it and replace it with an aftermarket one. I have a Corbin on mine.

They are fairly dependable but there are a few things you should be aware of that are not documented in the owner manual like the need to check the stopper bolt in the CVT and replace it if it is showing signs of wear. If you don't check it and it fails the CVT could be severly damaged. It's a 5 minute job to check and less than $8 buck to replace. If you do decide to get one then you might want to check out the BurgmanUSA site. On it you can find out just about anything you want to know about maintaining one.

I'm a big fan of the Burgman! I certainly think this will be my next mode of transportation. The Ducati I have is fun, but I tend to find myself riding way to fast for my comfort. And the KLR is getting long in the teeth and although I enjoy riding it I am really getting tired of climbing on.

My Dad was a big Scooter rider. Too bad the Burgman didn't come in time for him to ride before he passed away.

I always enjoyed riding his scooters and thought someday I'd like to have one for grins. But like you my bikes are more my daily transportation than toys. I fetch grocerys, run to the bank, post office and chase parts on my bikes. Sure would be nice to have the underseat storage and the Highway speeds I need to get to town.

I've ridden several Burgmans owned by my friends and enjoyed the power and comfort. As we Boomers get older the Boom Boom Boom doesn't matter so much.

Between the FJR and the Burgman 650, the Burgman is a dream to handle and for ease of use. I find myself riding the Burgman more and more. We haven't had any issues with her either.
Yea, except for the light weight and step through, he was describing my FJRAE. Autoshifting edges the FJR into the Super Duper Uber Maxi Scooter territory. :mrgreen:

The Burgman 650 is an acceptable general purpose bike. It's not the fastest thing around but it won't be holding up traffic either. It won't handle like a sport bike but it will get down a twisty road at a rate that might surprise you and a few folks on conventional bikes.
Hrm. :rofl:

I can attest that with the right rider, those things can "Scoot" along quite well. Pun intended! :lol2:

Just saw your thread. In case you're interested, I have 2003 Burgman 650 for sale. It's silver with a matching Givi top case It has 19300 miles on it. I'm the second owner. I bought it for my wife, but it is a little too tall for her.
Great condition. $3200. I'm in Kennedale, Texas.

Aprilia SRV850.

Same engine as the Mana but in a 'fairing-type' platform. Should be here in early '13?

I'd consider it...a bit sporty and all. We've had a Mana for 4+ years now. Luv it...be interesting to see it in a 'Maxi-Scoot'.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBrNvFDTnVo"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBrNvFDTnVo[/ame]

I vote for the Aprilia scoot. I like the B-MAN but its just a tad small in stature for my build. Thought it rode quite well, and I have ridden many. Holding out for a scoot with larger accommodations.

Partial to Honda. So I vote Silverwing.

A 2006 carried me to school and back for two years and put on 40K in three years. Incredibly cheap and easy to maintain. Most expensive replacement was the belt.

I still may get one again.

I've owned an '04 Burgman 650 for a couple of years now and have nothing bad to say about it. As a 420lb man I've had no issues with acceleration or handling while riding it and have had it up in the triple digits with room left.

Why a maxi scooter? Fun-fun-fun!!!

I've had two 650 Burgmans, an aprilia Atlantic 500, a Yamaha T-max 500, a Honda Reflex 250 ABS, a 50cc Yamaha Zuma and two Zuma 125s.

Get one out in the country on curvy roads and you'll have a ball.

Depending on rider skill, the T-max 500 will embarrass lots of sportbikes.

Sam:)

The scooters have caught my attention also, I have been looking at the Suzuki 650 Bergman's and the Honda Silver Wings. I still ride dual sport bikes, but a age 68 the scooters look like some good old fashion fun, plus the ease of what they can do and carry. I looked a the BMW scooters at the dealership, but they didn't impress me as much as the Bergman does. You can read about them on ADV under the Scooter Forum, see what they said. If anyone would like to get together sometime and talk scooters let me know on this forum, I just might could learn something about them, plus like interest always makes good conservation.

John

The scooters have caught my attention also, I have been looking at the Suzuki 650 Bergman's and the Honda Silver Wings. I still ride dual sport bikes, but a age 68 the scooters look like some good old fashion fun, plus the ease of what they can do and carry. I looked a the BMW scooters at the dealership, but they didn't impress me as much as the Bergman does. You can read about them on ADV under the Scooter Forum, see what they said. If anyone would like to get together sometime and talk scooters let me know on this forum, I just might could learn something about them, plus like interest always makes good conservation.

John

John, I'm always ready to talk scooters. Like I said earlier I'm a Big Burgman Fan.
I went to Dallas last Tuesday to look at the Elio and was greatly dissapointed in what I saw. I was already to put down a big deposit on one, but will be staying on two wheels now. Or 4? Thinking of getting a Small Hybrid for my bad weather days to town visits now tha the Elio is out of the Future for me. Stil love my KLR and Elefant. ( Oh and the diesel bike is fun too!) But I want a maxi scooter to take the Wife and Grandkids to breakfast and other places on.

I'm getting a little tired of throwing my leg over the seat of my tall bikes.
Turned 62 yesterday BTY!

Maybe one of my larger Wolfman bags between the floor boards would give it that manly look. We could also put TWT and ADV stickers on it, that way the sport bikers and Harley riders wouldn't mess with us.

John

I tried the new BMW scoot. I didn't like it. Sounded like a tractor accelerating and seemed slower. It does sit higher so if you are tall, it might be a bit better.

I just got another Burgman. Despite all the plastic, it doesn't overheat in all the TX summers. That SV850 is nice but you lose some underseat storage.

I'll be out at the Eurosport Bike wash this Sat at 11A if someone wants to check mine out. It should be clean. :trust:

I think it's the small tires that make people question your masculinity.
But if you've got big feet, big hands or a big nose then your manliness is never in question.

It helps to have a HOT CHICK on the pilliion too.

ABS for safety
Good storage
Good fairing and screen
Shaft drive for minimal maintenance
Water cooled (Texas summers)
Upright seating position, legs not tucked.
Medium displacement and weight
Reputation for reliability
Automatic shifting of some kind probably a good idea

After reading your list of wants, the Bergman's and the Silver Wings do not have shaft drive, I'm not really sure if any of the scoots do. The 650 Bergman does have three types of transmission in one, two will shift automatically, but they do have a standard and a performance setting, the third you can push buttons through the gears as such. Not sure about the Silver Wings as I have just started reading about them. Windshields on the Bergman's are like any windshield on a bike, some like them and some don't, the Givi is popular upgrade. I found this Bergman Forum to be very informative, http://burgmanusa.com/forums/index.php

John

I tried the new BMW scoot. I didn't like it. Sounded like a tractor accelerating and seemed slower. It does sit higher so if you are tall, it might be a bit better.

I just got another Burgman. Despite all the plastic, it doesn't overheat in all the TX summers. That SV850 is nice but you lose some underseat storage.

I'll be out at the Eurosport Bike wash this Sat at 11A if someone wants to check mine out. It should be clean. :trust:

I test rode a BMW 650 scoot last week. I, too, found on initial acceleration the drivetrain was quite noisy and coarse. For 11 large also quite expensive. If I wanted one (which I don't) I would save some $ and get a Kymco. Underneath all that plastic, the BMW scoot is a Kymco, made in Taiwan.

I would vote either for the Burgie or the Silverwing.

Back