• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

What is your experience with Rekluse Auto Clutches?

Tourmeister

Keeper of the Asylum
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Friday
Howdy,

:tab I am curious who has used a Rekluse Auto Clutch in their bikes? What bike? What kind of riding? Was it the kit with the plates only or the full kit with case cover and all the other bits? Why one versus the other? Were you happy with the results?

Just my experience , have ridden some friends bikes , 350-450 dirt bikes. I don't like them always feels like the clutch is slipping.

Core EXP is magic, especially over technical terrain and/or long rides. I have a 350 EXC and paid the extra bucks to maintain the full hydraulic clutch feel. The slave cylinder makes adjustments a breeze.

If riding only dirt roads and maybe a little double track it may not be worth the $$$. However, in the tight stuff or rocks, the Rekluse pays huge dividends. The technology has made significant strides over the past few years to where the plates last longer than a stock set-up. It's a winner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RIMG0073-L.jpg

2013 Core EXP 2.0. Had TJ's put it on when they built the bike

Bombproof

Has a better feel than Salma Hayak and Oil of Olay

Put it to good use while bushwacking in Mexico, especially during some gnarly climbs when stalling the engine would have been no bueno

I beat the crap out of it, I mean, really abuse it. Built like a tank.

You can't jump start a bike with a Rekluse, but that's about the only drawback. I have kickstart as a backup.

If I were to do it again, yes I would no hesitation. Buy the best Rekluse offers at the moment.

There are some other mods visible in the photo (taken at Aquismón, Mx) that I would also strongly consider.

Might as well just add the list I sent to Tourmeister here:

(1) 5.5 tank by Acerbis
(2) Scotts Steering damper
(3) Rekluse
(4) Pro Moto billet rack** - something to anchor soft luggage to
(5) Baja Designs Squadron LED lights

** Trail Boss went with a different brand that could be better

If you do these mods, you're 98% of the way home to, IN MY OPINION :lol2::lol2:, owning just about the perfect platform for adrenaline and adventure. :eat:

Last edited:
I have the older Z Start Pro (full kit but with the OEM cover) on my YZ250 and if the bike didn't have it on there I would either put one on it or sell the bike. Honestly, I will never own another dirt bike without one on it. I'm no racer, and honestly I don't get out enough to keep my*nasty terrain clutch skills in tip top shape, so the Rekluse just makes for a much more enjoyable ride.

Now for dual sport riding like Big Bend, all of the normal DS riding in and around the Alpine Loop in CO, and so forth; I think they are very much not needed. But for first and second gear nasty rocky off-road riding it would be my number one modification after suspension tuning.

So Bob, no heat shield for the header pipe to keep from burning your pants? I wrapped my pipe because it was getting a wee bit hot on my leg and I didn't want to accidentally touch it and ruin my pants.

I have the EXP on my 2015 YZ 450 and love it! I have had zero issues with it over the past 15 months. Stays adjusted very well. I have used it on numerous woods scrambles, enduros, & MX races. Other than no bump starting, I don't see much drawback. Eliminates most stalls & definitely helps in the wooly technical stuff! I plan on adding one to my WR450 next. After a full day of clutching while riding the LAB2V last year, my left hand was muscle cramping by the time I reached the final rider check in point. Suddenly it became crystal clear to me why my dual sport bike should also have a Rekluse.

Now for dual sport riding like Big Bend, all of the normal DS riding in and around the Alpine Loop in CO, and so forth; I think they are very much not needed. But for first and second gear nasty rocky off-road riding it would be my number one modification after suspension tuning.

:tab My track record for the riding I've done with the 530 has included a LOT of nasty climbs, big rocks, some crawling where the rocks are just to big to clear, etc,...

IMG_7832.jpg
IMG_7841.jpg

IMG_8030.jpg
IMG_8037.jpg

IMG_8820.jpg

IMG_8823.jpg

IMG_8824.jpg

IMG_9184.jpg

IMG_9196.jpg

IMG_9409.jpg

IMG_9539.jpg

IMG_9591.jpg

Utah_0161.jpg

Utah_0212.jpg

Utah_0218.jpg

Utah_0220-2.jpg

Utah_0634.jpg

Utah_0640.jpg

:tab That's a small sample of the kind of stuff I've been riding the last few years. I don't really do tight technical single track stuff very often. I've only done it seriously at Cloudcroft on the Rim Trail and it was a real clutch workout!! I stalled a few times, fell a few times, and did some major lugging at low rpms. Some of the stuff in Utah and Arizona was almost as bad even though it was two track. Montana also had some BIG embeded rocks we had to either climb over or pick our way through.

I have the EXP on my 2015 YZ 450... Other than no bump starting....

The FAQ on their website says the new EXP 3.0 and CORE EXP 3.0 CAN be bump started now. You have to set something, bump start, stop immediately with the engine running and reset it, then be on your way.

So what are folks thoughts on the EXP versus the CORE EXP?

The FAQ on their website says the new EXP 3.0 and CORE EXP 3.0 CAN be bump started now. You have to set something, bump start, stop immediately with the engine running and reset it, then be on your way.

You're right, carry a small allen wrench, can't remember either screw in or back out?? then reset.

I had one on my 350, really came in handy, eliminated stalling almost 100%, you can still stall if you really try, lol. But tight climbs w/o any run were way easier. All that said, I don't like the "feel", not planning on getting one on present bike unless stalling becomes an issue.

Love mine , they make the impossible possible . Beta and EXC both have them . Bought one for the 950 SE but haven't installed it since its been highway only . The EXC is a early one with no frills , works well but no manual clutch operation , a little time consuming to get setup but very smooth . The Beta is a later version with full clutch operation and very easy adjustment but not quite as smooth .the one for the SE is the latest with the bump start option as if I were ever going to bump start a 950 . I'm perfectly happy keeping good battrys in my bikes . It's nothing more than a adjustable slave cylinder . I don't ride the dirt bikes around here much but you can try one any time you want . They do not slip except at idle when setup right and do not freewheel on downhill compression braking . I'll have to look and see what models mine are .

Last edited:
I agree about making the impossible possible, but they will free wheel in certain situations, otherwise the bike stalls. You can learn to lower the odds so o speak. One problem it took me a long time to deal with was going into corners and it would go to free wheeling worse than a 2 stroke. I learned the proper technique but never totally eliminated it. When in fast riding and going down steeper downhills it's hard to have "time" to bleep throttle to keep it from free wheeling. I'm not against them just not sure I'll go back. But...I didn't want one before and got one. lol

Last edited:

Any Rekluse clutch with an adjustable slave cylinder can be bump started by simply backing out the adjustment screw. All the Core EXP clutches have always been able to be bump started. I would get the Core EXP but that is just because I run those and I know they work perfectly.

Anyone that has a Rekluse and complains that is is slipping did not set it up right. My best riding buddy had a older model Rekluse (Z Start Pro) on his 2006 KTM 300 exc and he had over 500 hours ON THE ORIGINAL CLUTCH PLATES. This was a bike that was raced several full seasons in TSCEC and flogged on a regular basis. That bike is since sold but it is still running on the same clutch. I just saw it last weekend.

Any Rekluse clutch with an adjustable slave cylinder can be bump started by simply backing out the adjustment screw. All the Core EXP clutches have always been able to be bump started. I would get the Core EXP but that is just because I run those and I know they work perfectly.

Anyone that has a Rekluse and complains that is is slipping did not set it up right. My best riding buddy had a older model Rekluse (Z Start Pro) on his 2006 KTM 300 exc and he had over 500 hours ON THE ORIGINAL CLUTCH PLATES. This was a bike that was raced several full seasons in TSCEC and flogged on a regular basis. That bike is since sold but it is still running on the same clutch. I just saw it last weekend.

That is great to know!

I agree about making the impossible possible, but they will free wheel in certain situations, otherwise the bike stalls. You can learn to lower the odds so to speak. One problem it took me a long time to deal with was f=going into corners and it would go to free wheeling worse than a 2 stroke. I learned the proper technique but never totally eliminated it. When in fast riding and going down steeper downhills it's hard to have "time" to bleep throttle to keep it from free wheeling. I'm not against them just not d=sure I'll go back. But...I didn't want one before and got one. lol

A lot of that is set up, especially on a four stroke. I know you know it already, but you can set the engagement via the different spring tensions that are available. I personally want as little engine braking as possible anyway, even on the steepest hills. The wheels roll over obstacles better, the suspension works better, and that is what your brakes are for anyway.:lol2: Not that I am fast, but watch the fast guys and they all pull in the clutch on steep hills. Not that I need to give and advice out to anyone, but just an observation.

In Colorado and Cloudcroft, goofing around we "Go Green" and have contests on how far we can coast dead engine. Some of the trails around Rico you can coast for miles at a time. It is fun but it also teaches you good technique.

Sort of off topic, sorry. A Rekluse is not for everyone. I can go either way, but I happen to have bought two used bikes that had them installed and I do like them, especially when I am tired and still trying to push hard it is nice to have. You could hop on my 450 and if I did not tell you it had an auto clutch, you wouldn't know. The clutch works just like a manual clutch at the lever. It just doesn't stall.

Last edited:
I briefly rode a friends bike that had one. It was neat but wasn't sure what the draw was. That was many years ago and my skills are crap and like I said, it was very brief. That said, reading this review....

Has a better feel than Salma Hayak and Oil of Olay

I'm not sure I'd need much more encouragement than that. In fact, Rekluse should use that on their website somewhere. Now I want one. :rofl:

John, that's interesting on the downhills, guess my fear of heights kicks in. Getting off the brakes, I'll try working on that.

John, that's interesting on the downhills, guess my fear of heights kicks in. Getting off the brakes, I'll try working on that.

Come ride with me this summer in Cloudcroft! You have an open invitation. There is some stuff with side hill exposure but you don't get that queasy feeling because you are never above the tree line.

Come ride with me this summer in Cloudcroft! You have an open invitation. There is some stuff with side hill exposure but you don't get that queasy feeling because you are never above the tree line.

If you're serious and have a patience with a scared flatlander I would love to. What time of year is best?

:tab While riding in Arizona with Gotdurt and Rsquared, we were doing some seriously nasty climbs and descents. On some of those descents that were covered with big loose rocks, I had to resort to LOUDLY singing in my helmet, "LET IT GO! LET IT GO!" My instinct is to try to crawl down the hills which makes it harder to control the bike, but I just feel like I am picking up too much speed and won't be able to bring it back under control if I don't keep it slow. It's one of those cases where the lizard brain just has to be overridden by the rational brain. It's kind of like making yourself stand up and stay on the gas in deep sand/gravel when your lizard brain is telling you to chop the throttle, sit down, and stick out your legs :zen:

:tab While riding the Rim Trail, I only recall a few places that I would consider even remotely "exposed". Really, they were just spots where we were on the side of a relatively steep hill and could see out through the trees to the White Sands below It was not a drop, but it would be a heck of a roll :-P

A good example of what I am talking about
IMG_7901.jpg

IMG_7903.jpg

A lot of it is more like this, just cutting in/out of the side of the ridge line, going up and down, back and forth, up and down, back and forth...
IMG_7910.jpg

There is also this, but it is big and wide and you don't have to go anywhere near the "edge", where the slope down starts
IMG_8008.jpg

IMG_8015.jpg

:tab There are also a TON of ATV trails out there that are a lot of fun on a bike. They can get kind of rutted, rocky, and steep, but again, no real height exposure where you feel like you will fall to your death if you go over.

:tab May is a good time to go, and maybe June. Much of the area is in the 5000-9500ft altitude range so the temps are nice even in the hot season here. Weather can always change quickly though because you are in the mountains! I've been rained on pretty good and also hailed on quite heavily! Also, I don't think there is any hunting going on in May so it tends not to be super crowded with ATVs and jeeps/trucks on the dirt roads, but I am not sure about the Fall months. Speaking of dirt roads, there are miles and miles of great dirt roads in that area! You could do all the dirt roads on your big bike with no problem. I carried Sarah and Daniel through there on the back of my 1200 GS and we had a blast. For the ATV stuff though, you'd probably want something smaller, like even smaller than an 800GS. I did some of it on a KLR and it was NOT fun. On my KTM 530, it was FUN!

Tourmeister,
You have pictures of everything.:clap:

When I said "Side Hill Exposure"., I didn't mean there were no trees, simply meant that there IS some shelf-type trail.

So, this has nothing to do with a Rekluse, but I am up there from Memorial Day--Labor Day as many weekends as I possibly can be. Even if I don't ride, I still try and go.

I was actually thinking about putting together a dual sport ride up there this summer and inviting all you TWT guys. It would be big bike suitable and the routes would be flexible for those that wanted more or less. I have a few different 100-200 mile routes that are really enjoyable.

As far as a real dirt bike ride, I keep a bike there pretty much all summer, and I am ready to go any time. Our "Moonson" season starts somewhere near the middle of July and there can be regular afternoon storms, but is doesn't ever stop us for long.

The riding is good from when the snow clears to when it starts again. So, the riding season is pretty long.

:tab The only real down side is that Cloudcroft is the best place to stay if you want to be relatively close to the riding, but there aren't a whole lot of places to stay in Cloudcroft, espeically for large groups. Most folks will stay down in Alamogordo, but that adds a good bit of riding to the beginning and end of each day. If you like camping, there are tons of cool places to stay for primitive camping.

:tab I'm thinking Cloudcroft would be an ideal location for someone to open up a place like those you see in North Carolina and Tennessee for motorcycle lodging. There is not a lot of paved riding, but there are miles and miles of trails and dirt roads.

Back to your question about the Rekluse... like some others, I'll go either way. My 530 is clutched, the 300 has a Rekluse EXP. Where the R stands out for me is climbing loose steep stuff. It keeps the back tire stuck in the dirt way better than I usually can with the clutch. My biggest problem (OK, one of many) is stalling the dang engine on the 530 - usually going up hill because I try to throttle back trying to not break loose and then forget to use the bloomin clutch. I've managed to stall the R but I had to really work at it. Since the 300 has no engine braking to begin with, the R is a non issue there. The R makes me ride better than my limited abilities should permit. BUT... I truly enjoy the feel of using the clutch on the 530. It feels more like I'm riding a motorcycle. Puts me and that back tire in a real close relationship with each other. I don't want a Rekluse on that bike. Probably not the answer you're looking for but there ya go.

When I was teaching my kids to ride, the rekluse was brilliant, if they fell of I could stop in any gear jump of the bike and help them (Didn't have to find neutral and then get off). Now that my kids almost never fall off, the rekluse has limited use, I do like it, but when using engine braking down steep hills and it suddenly disengages, I often need to change my underwear!! They do make riding loose ground easier, but as I mostly ride Dual sport these days, it's rare that I hit really loose and difficult dirt. They are great clutches, but if I was buying a new bike now, I would not spend the extra money on one as my riding just doesn't need it, if the bike comes with one I would never remove it, they are great!!

Gary

just bought a 450 yammy, friend insisted I get the Rekluse, I got the 3.0, changed the whole nature of dirt riding. Dont think I would own another dirt bike without one.

Back