• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

camping

Reaction score
well, winter has finally set in here in south Texas. the lows were above freezing at about 60.
I can't wait for spring when it warms up for camping. (not stealth cause I got reamed pretty good on that one) Anyway I don't know how to deter creepy-crawlers and such. I have garlic for the vamps,a machete for the zombies and silver bullets for the werewolves, what is recommended for protection from ticks etc. I don't have a problem sleeping in a lean-t tarp on a pad.

deet bug spray, sprayed in perimeter around your sleeping area.

Permethrin spray. been using it for a couple years now and it so far is the best product I have ever used. started using it in Alaska and kept the B-52 squadrons of skeeters at bay. Treat your gear with it and take a small squirt bottle to hit the ground around your sleeping area about an hour before you hit the sack. I do ground beds as well has hammock hangs all the time most times without a net in place.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001ANQVYU/?tag=twowhetex-20

Not sure if the link will work but just search it on Amazon.

Permethrin spray. been using it for a couple years now and it so far is the best product I have ever used. started using it in Alaska and kept the B-52 squadrons of skeeters at bay. Treat your gear with it and take a small squirt bottle to hit the ground around your sleeping area about an hour before you hit the sack. I do ground beds as well has hammock hangs all the time most times without a net in place.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001ANQVYU/?tag=twowhetex-20

Not sure if the link will work but just search it on Amazon.

I'm ordering that right now. Thanks for the suggestion.
The pterodactyls down on Padre got me last kayak scouting trip.

That appears to be a good product. Didn't have patience to see a % permethrin. Many Ag retailers handle such products. Nothing magic about it as permethrin has been used a long time in various product. Pretty sure the long used Adams pet materials contain permethrin or maybe now a newer version of permethrin.

Old School?
Powdered sulfur in an old white sock. Dusted around our ankles, crotch, and around the ground of our sleeping area.

;-)

Old School?
Powdered sulfur in an old white sock. Dusted around our ankles, crotch, and around the ground of our sleeping area.

;-)

LOL used that for years but found if your out for say a week on a bike or backpack trip everything you own will start to smell like butt. :shock:

I forgot to mention in the post, I always put my lariat around my bed to keep out the rattle snakes.(old John Wayne trick) works great! haven't had a snake in the tent ...in forever.

Old School?

;-)

That is the most effective tick control I have ever found. Put the old sock into a coffee can to keep the sulfur.

Back