• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Need some suggestions

Reaction score
First Name
John
Last Name
Collins
As of late, I have been bitten by the Touring bug. Specifically the long range sport touring bug. I'm thinking the TL1000R Streetfighter http://photobucket.com/albums/v495/wonder91178/Tiller/

And the KX250 http://photobucket.com/albums/v495/wonder91178/KX/ will be going up for sale to make room (financially) for a Sport Touring machine. I've been eye-balling the new Triumph Sprint ST and a few used Duc ST's.....but I am open to other suggestions for bikes that I can get down in the twisties on should the urge be there and that I can comfortably do 500+ mile days on.

DSCF0193.jpg

DSCF0174.jpg

When I was looking last year I would have chosen the Aprilia Futura or Ducati ST3 over last years Sprint if I was buying new. Since I bought used the Sprint was the best deal for the money. I did almost 500 miles yesterday and have a 600 mile day last summer without too much pain for my old, out of shape body. I fared much better than I expected to with the stock Sprint. The new Sprint seems to have the same ergos but a higher pillion seat.

The Euro Shop in Waco has a new silver Sprint on the floor (as of yesterday) along with a couple of older model Sprints. They also have some Duc ST3/4's in stock. I think it would be hard to go wrong with any of them. The VFR is also a very capable bike to be made into an ST. Blackbirds and Busas are also popular with some on Sport-Touring.net.

The Connie is the best bang for the buck in the sport-touring category, but it does need some work if you really want to boogie in the corners.

For a stock touring/twisties bike the ST1300 and the FJR1300 are pretty much good to go right out the door.

Not sure if you 're looking to buy new / used?

Kawasaki ZZR1200?

For touring you might want to consider the dealer network. It's rough to break down 1000 miles from home and find out the nearest dealer is a couple of hundred miles away.

Well, for what my worthless opinion is worth, don't get ANYTHING with a sport bike type seat, including a TLR, for any high mileage. Get something with a real motorcycle seat. Seat to peg distance is important for anyone, but the vertically challenged, too. Bar height is more easily modified.

If you want, I can let you see a Futura up close and personal.
(being in Burleson as well)
I can go about 90% as fast as on the Mille, and do it all day long with the seat it has on it.
It is by a pretty good margin, the best seat I have felt on a bike, even aftermarket ones.
It hauls me and the wife along just fine too, and the engine is the same as the Mille, (Rotax) and I just turned 30,000 miles on mine with the only service needed being a waterpump seal.

I know there will be an 02 or 03 model up for sale in the very near future at a good price.

Mr Ed said:
Kawasaki ZZR1200?
The ZZR1200 would be a good choice also.

Mr Ed said:
For touring you might want to consider the dealer network. It's rough to break down 1000 miles from home and find out the nearest dealer is a couple of hundred miles away.
That really isn't that much of a big deal anymore since nobody really stocks anything in the way of parts anymore. If you can't fix it yourself, you are probably going to have to wait a day or so anyway thanks to just-in-time inventories that most dealers follow anymore thanks to FedEx and others. If you break down on a Sunday (or Monday in most places) you aren't going to have a dealer to see for any brand.

The newer bikes are also so much more reliable than they used to be, just like cars have become. I would have no issue taking my Sprint (or Futura/ST3) anywhere in the US or Canada.

After a decent ride today, I determined that the only bothersome aspects of the TLR as far as distance riding is the height(or lack thereof of the clip-ons) and the relatively short fuel range.....about 145-150 miles between stops. Being as it is paid for, I am going to most likely try swapping the top clamp out with an LSL setup and run some dirt bike bars on it pick myself up a bit and rework the suspension.....basically just go ahead and finish the streetfighter project I was working on and then set about fabbing up a fairly easily removable rack system for some bags.

If that doesn't work out for me, I'll save up the cash so I can have the TLR and an ST.

igo-wfo said:
If you want, I can let you see a Futura up close and personal.
(being in Burleson as well)
I can go about 90% as fast as on the Mille, and do it all day long with the seat it has on it.
It is by a pretty good margin, the best seat I have felt on a bike, even aftermarket ones.
It hauls me and the wife along just fine too, and the engine is the same as the Mille, (Rotax) and I just turned 30,000 miles on mine with the only service needed being a waterpump seal.

I know there will be an 02 or 03 model up for sale in the very near future at a good price.

Where are you in Burleson? Kim and I are on CR804A right off of 731.

bluedogok said:
That really isn't that much of a big deal anymore since nobody really stocks anything in the way of parts anymore. If you can't fix it yourself, you are probably going to have to wait a day or so anyway thanks to just-in-time inventories that most dealers follow anymore thanks to FedEx and others. If you break down on a Sunday (or Monday in most places) you aren't going to have a dealer to see for any brand.
Well, I've toured with a friend for 25 years, and we've needed a dealer twice in other states during that time. Once, on his Suzuki, we had to tow 100 miles to a dealer who, you got it, had to order parts. The second time, on my Kawasaki, was a Saturday afternoon, and we didn't have time to get to the dealership before he closed. He opened again -- on Tuesday morning. On second thought, I'll concede that point ;-)

One Tuesday morning on the homeward leg of a trip to Arkansas, I was on my GS750 with Velorex sidecar, wife, and kid. Lost 1 and 4 cylinders. I was on the outskirts of Little Rock and limped in about two miles while figuring in my mind it had to be ignition. Sure enough, as if an answer to a prayer, there was a Suzuki shop! It was a set of Tiawanese cheap breaker points I'd installed, friggin' contact fell off. I bought two brand new OEM points sets there and installed the one there in the parking lot just guessing at timing by sound and guestimating gap. I made it home fine, put the other set in it, and checked the side I'd installed with a timing light and I'll be darned if I wasn't almost spot on with the timing! LOL.

All you guys who were rug rats when the world went CDI are probably full of questions about now. ROF!

If you are looking at the TL1000 for touring, you might want to consider the DL1000 (big V-Strom) as well.

Where are you in Burleson? Kim and I are on CR804A right off of 731.

I live off Summercrest on the upper end, the only house that actually faces the street. Close to where all the new development is going in in the big curve on 731.
We must dang near be neighbors. 8-)

Jack Giesecke said:
One Tuesday morning on the homeward leg of a trip to Arkansas, I was on my GS750 with Velorex sidecar, wife, and kid. Lost 1 and 4 cylinders. I was on the outskirts of Little Rock and limped in about two miles while figuring in my mind it had to be ignition. Sure enough, as if an answer to a prayer, there was a Suzuki shop! It was a set of Tiawanese cheap breaker points I'd installed, friggin' contact fell off. I bought two brand new OEM points sets there and installed the one there in the parking lot just guessing at timing by sound and guestimating gap. I made it home fine, put the other set in it, and checked the side I'd installed with a timing light and I'll be darned if I wasn't almost spot on with the timing! LOL.

All you guys who were rug rats when the world went CDI are probably full of questions about now. ROF!
I knew exactly what you were talking about :-D You must have hit the Suzuki/Kawasaki/Yamaha shop in Benton. I bought a new FJ1200 from them in '86, and they'd been there a long time then, since about '74 that I know of. Kenny, their mechanic, is very well respected in this area. If it wasn't Benton, scratch all the above ;-)

It was everyone's lucky day -- they had the parts you needed, and you bought those old parts they'd had in inventory all those years :chug:

Gilk51 said:
If you are looking at the TL1000 for touring, you might want to consider the DL1000 (big V-Strom) as well.

I already own the TL.....the point is that i want to spend as little as necessary. That's why I'm going to try to make the TL more comfortable instead of selling her for another bike.

Besides.....when was the last time you saw someone touring on a streetfighter? :chug:

Squidward said:
Besides.....when was the last time you saw someone touring on a streetfighter? :chug:

Erm, never, but I think there's a reason for that... ;-)

Anything will 'sport-tour'. It's just a question of balancing comfy long days with desired performance, of course.

I'm with igo-wfo on his advice... :chug:

Squidward said:
After a decent ride today, I determined that the only bothersome aspects of the TLR as far as distance riding is the height(or lack thereof of the clip-ons) and the relatively short fuel range.....about 145-150 miles between stops. Being as it is paid for, I am going to most likely try swapping the top clamp out with an LSL setup and run some dirt bike bars on it pick myself up a bit and rework the suspension.....basically just go ahead and finish the streetfighter project I was working on and then set about fabbing up a fairly easily removable rack system for some bags.

If that doesn't work out for me, I'll save up the cash so I can have the TLR and an ST.
Check this out:
http://home.earthlink.net/~cfry129/daytona.html
Scroll down to the part about clip-ons. With these risers I can go to a more upright position, or drop back down to sport position in about 10 minutes with an allen wrench. You might be able to find some 2-piece clip-ons on ebay that will fit your forks (if you don't already have them). They also allow a great deal of adjustabilty in height/bend/for-aft in either position.

Squidward said:
.....when was the last time you saw someone touring on a streetfighter?
bigbend1.jpg

gotdurt said:
Squidward said:

Check this out:
http://home.earthlink.net/~cfry129/daytona.html
Scroll down to the part about clip-ons. With these risers I can go to a more upright position, or drop back down to sport position in about 10 minutes with an allen wrench. You might be able to find some 2-piece clip-ons on ebay that will fit your forks (if you don't already have them). They also allow a great deal of adjustabilty in height/bend/for-aft in either position.

Squidward said:
.....when was the last time you saw someone touring on a streetfighter?
bigbend1.jpg

I have seen those, but for some reason, I really want to go with the LSL kit.....I prefer the look and having ridden Tuonos and a few other similarly set up bikes, I prefer the riding position even at silly speeds and lean angles.

I've basically already talked myself out of selling the TL and buying something new. Maybe in the future....but for now, I'm going to keep the one that is paid for.

I wanted to go ahead and thank everybody for the replies. I just took some time to think about it, and I know I would regret giving up my TL. I think I'll just finish making her the way i want her then save up to add an ST to the stable in a year or so. The bug has bitten me and bitten me hard...i just have to be patient for now.

Again, thanks for all the responses.

Back