• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

The Honda CRF250L Thread

Reaction score
Here it is... a Honda CRF250L thread for all those interested in the new dual sport and especially for those who have already taken the plunge. Do you want one, did you get one, have you ever ridden one? How about worked on one? Even if you have a problem with one this is a good place to start. So post away.

Fuel Injected, light enough for the dirt, street legal to get to the dirt, and great for around the town riding all for just $4499 MSRP. There is a lot of value in this bike!

Mine followed me home yesterday. Pictures to follow soon as I finish a few rides!

A thread might already be started on the new Honda.

Not a clearly titled one though. Anybody searching by title wouldn't find the other one. And it started out more of a comparison thread than an owners thread also. Probably best to continue this one.

_

Not a clearly titled one though. Anybody searching by title wouldn't find the other one. And it started out more of a comparison thread than an owners thread also. Probably best to continue this one.

Maybe re-name this one: The Honda CRF250L Owner's Thread?

I repeated a ride I reported on a few weeks ago except this time on the new CRF250L.

Morning Trip SW of Houston, FM762 - CR25 - Cow Creek Rd
http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77320

Not long after getting back onto CR25 (at about 50+ miles into trip) my fuel indicator dropped from3 (of 5) bars remaining to 2 bars. By the time I returned to the gas stations at 59 and Crab River road I had gone 82.5 miles, had one bar on the fuel gauge, and it took 1.308 gallons to refill. 63 miles per gallon is not bad considering I was changing speeds often (still breaking in engine) and sometimes running one gear lower at full speeds. The bike easily climbs to 65mph and I did not push it above that. Given that the tank holds 2 gallons I could have probably gone another 50 miles before refilling.

And for those who are interested CR250L reviews are starting to show up online.
http://www.cycleworld.com/2012/09/07/honda-crf250l-first-ride-review/

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/123/14263/Motorcycle-Article/2013-Honda-CRF250L-First-Ride.aspx

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcycles/2013models/2013-Honda-CRF250L.htm

Just google CRF250L Reviews for more!

A bit out of order with this mornings ride post but here it is following me home.
20121004_crf250l_2133.jpg

Made it home safely!
20121004_crf250l_2137.jpg

Can I go out now, Can I go out now, Can I go out now, Pleeeeeeese
20121004_crf250l_2141.jpg

So now that I have a few rides (and about 180 miles) on the CRF250L I think it is time for a review.

Well it’s not as punchy as my former KTM450exc (good by and good riddance to KTM). Nor is it as smooth or as fast as my KLR650 on the road. So what is it?

When I swing my leg over I easily reach the ground almost flat footed. All my rides start on the pavement and strong acceleration off the line feels similar to the KLR except the 250 utilizes higher rpms. Sixty miles per hour down the highway is windy as you might expect but not overly buzzy. The real fun starts as I veer onto a dirt road. This bike is great blasting down unmaintained dirt tracks. The size of the bike instills confidence in someone my ability and height (45 years mostly dirt dual sport riding, 6ft tall, and 33” inseam). It feels very light yet soaks up the bumps in the track quite well. Round a grassy corner a bit too fast only to discover a big water filled depression? On big bikes this is NOT a good time to be leaned over this far! However, just a dab with my foot gets all 300 pounds upright. Whatever it weighs, it sure feels light and flickable. Some gravel roads have perfectly sized rocks to make ball bearings. Under the wheels of any bike they can cause the rear end to wobble just a bit. I can maintain control of the CRF even while traveling down such gravel at 50mph.

The fuel injection gives a moderate punch almost anywhere in the power band. I don’t think my old 1983 XL250r has this kind of punch now or when new. While not a full big bore race bike punch, this new CRF has enough to put a smile on this face. Part way into my ride the trail disappears into high tall grass. On the KTM this is nerve racking because it is hard to slow down enough so I can see what’s hiding in the grass without lugging or overheating. On the KLR tall grass is scary because you don’t want a hidden rut or log to yank the front end sideways into a washout. No such drama on the 250. Its fan came on as I crawled through the grass and then abandoned grass for a parallel highway. Next the route goes off the highway once more for really tight sandy trails. Peg work with a little knee action keeps this baby in the zone with very little effort. The 250 seems to enjoy the challenging terrain. I gotta get this puppy to the Sam Houston multi-use trails as soon as the engine is broken in.

In conclusion the CRF250L dual sport is great for trail riding. The plate allows you to connect trails with pavement runs. Above 50mph a bigger bike is smoother and has better wind protection. On the race course a full out race bike has more punch. However on the dual sport CRF250L just about any kind of terrain is fun from highways, to city streets, to single track trails.

The muffler and heat shield together,the shield is just plastic.The muffler is huge on this bike.

So now that I have a few rides (and about 180 miles) on the CRF250L I think it is time for a review.

Well it’s not as punchy as my former KTM450exc (good by and good riddance to KTM). Nor is it as smooth or as fast as my KLR650 on the road. So what is it?

When I swing my leg over I easily reach the ground almost flat footed. All my rides start on the pavement and strong acceleration off the line feels similar to the KLR except the 250 utilizes higher rpms. Sixty miles per hour down the highway is windy as you might expect but not overly buzzy. The real fun starts as I veer onto a dirt road. This bike is great blasting down unmaintained dirt tracks. The size of the bike instills confidence in someone my ability and height (45 years mostly dirt dual sport riding, 6ft tall, and 33” inseam). It feels very light yet soaks up the bumps in the track quite well. Round a grassy corner a bit too fast only to discover a big water filled depression? On big bikes this is NOT a good time to be leaned over this far! However, just a dab with my foot gets all 300 pounds upright. Whatever it weighs, it sure feels light and flickable. Some gravel roads have perfectly sized rocks to make ball bearings. Under the wheels of any bike they can cause the rear end to wobble just a bit. I can maintain control of the CRF even while traveling down such gravel at 50mph.

The fuel injection gives a moderate punch almost anywhere in the power band. I don’t think my old 1983 XL250r has this kind of punch now or when new. While not a full big bore race bike punch, this new CRF has enough to put a smile on this face. Part way into my ride the trail disappears into high tall grass. On the KTM this is nerve racking because it is hard to slow down enough so I can see what’s hiding in the grass without lugging or overheating. On the KLR tall grass is scary because you don’t want a hidden rut or log to yank the front end sideways into a washout. No such drama on the 250. Its fan came on as I crawled through the grass and then abandoned grass for a parallel highway. Next the route goes off the highway once more for really tight sandy trails. Peg work with a little knee action keeps this baby in the zone with very little effort. The 250 seems to enjoy the challenging terrain. I gotta get this puppy to the Sam Houston multi-use trails as soon as the engine is broken in.

In conclusion the CRF250L dual sport is great for trail riding. The plate allows you to connect trails with pavement runs. Above 50mph a bigger bike is smoother and has better wind protection. On the race course a full out race bike has more punch. However on the dual sport CRF250L just about any kind of terrain is fun from highways, to city streets, to single track trails.

Great post! That's how I felt when I discovered the KLX250 several yrs ago. The six-spped box was fun and although the bike won't pull your arm sockets out, it has enough(I haven't modded my engine yet-have the parts but havnt gotten around to it), reliable, fairly inexpensive to own and just practicle fun. I have had my seat redone by Seat Concepts and it is G-R-E-A-T! Don't know how that Honda seat is but my stock seat had to go after the Terlingua-Pinto Canyon ride.

I give it :thumb::thumb:

I rode Jim's bike for a few minutes today out at Bastrop. I love how quiet it is, how smooth it idles, and how easy it is to ride. There is enough power to lift the front wheel if you use a little body english, and the suspension worked very well in stock form. It took everything Bastrop had to offer and asked for more. The low seat height made it feel very confidence inspiring, and I didn't notice the weight.

I would put some Rox Risers with longer cables, handguards, a wide skid plate, and some form of radiator side protection if I was to do any serious off-roading. I think I would increase the preload to the shock a few mm as well. I'm about 180lbs with all my gear and it felt sprung for 140-160 lbs. Standard stuff to do to any bike you know you will drop.

I wonder the way it's laid out how a bigger tank would fit. There's a lot of stuff under those fairings.

I'm sure the aftermarket will provide fork spring preload adjustment with new caps before long.

I see one in my future, but it's going to be a little while. I don't think to many are going to show up on the used market for a long time.

Dion,

That bike looks really clean. Is it before your first ride?

Below is my bike after the first muddy ride. Joel took me through a puddle that threw mud up and over my helmet but most of it did not stick.

20121008_2013crf250l_2148.jpg

Took it out this afternoon for a gentle wash.

Jim

I've had mine about two weeks now and it was a great update from my street plated crf230f. Have a little over 800 miles on it now and its been great. Did the first oil change around 700 miles and I'm waiting on the service manual to come in so I can check the valves.

D4BCFB3F-70D2-4CCB-8C32-990C6E4DBD2E-2188-000003EE76F1C90E.jpg

1D27EC0E-8484-4003-80AE-640D9F298B21-2188-000003EB121EDE43.jpg

0E0F66E9-D5F9-439E-8B5D-ACBCEE1E43EE-1349-000001D786DEA588.jpg

D08BFDDE-5057-473B-B534-E4CD0D0BD903-704-000000BB5413752C.jpg

E160FCF0-1738-4DA2-8801-FDAE36E1F235-704-00000078F0FAEA1F.jpg

TW200 vs CRF250L.

The TW200 seems to weigh more and feels longer. It feels much more like a big hog only smaller (and very capable off road). The TW200 gives one the most relaxing comfortable trail ride possible if one keeps the speed down. The TW200 has a very limited bumpy suspension compared to the CRF250L. When I was in Bastrop I probably bottomed the suspension many times on the CRF but I did not feel it (unlike the TW200). The CRF feels like a dirt bike. On the TW200 one can optionally actively counter steer on the street and feel the effect. On the trail it can be a bit harder to do VERY tight turns (think U-turn on the trail). On the CRF (like most 250 dirt bikes) actively counter steering is overkill. Just think lean or turn and it does it. The TW200 in the dirt is mainly a sit down affair (and quite comfortable and capable doing it). The CRF is fine standing or sitting. The TW200's granny gear is absolutely amazing. As long as the huge tires get traction it will go up any hill and can do it extremely slowly and relaxed. The CRF like most dirt bikes likes to race up hills. Two different bikes but each great fun. The CRF being so similar to most dirt bikes. The TW being in a league of its own.

Someone posted that a dealer in Houston allow test drive the CRF250L. Anyone remember which dealer it is?

The seat looks wierd. Like it's been shaved. How comfortable is it?

Stubbs Southwest told me to call ahead and I could schedule a test ride. However, they did not have any CRF250Ls in stock at the time.

Wild West let me test ride the CRF250L after I had bought and paid for it :-)

I would bet several nickels that there will be accessory tanks and seats available for these bikes very soon. This bike will be very popular and the aftermarket will be huge. Hey, its a Honda!

I originally purchased Motogear Motorcycle Tank Bag from Amazon and installed it on my KLR650. I liked it enough that I got another and installed it on my CRF250L.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000RN2AHQ/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00"]Motogear Motorcycle Tank Bag : Amazon.com : Automotive[/ame]

I like the bag. Gives me a place for a map, my cell phone and interior net pockets for other things along with a medium large place for stuff. It even has a rain cover in the back. I do have to flip it forward to add gas.

Last edited:
I would bet several nickels that there will be accessory tanks and seats available for these bikes very soon. This bike will be very popular and the aftermarket will be huge. Hey, its a Honda!

Seat Concepts already has a replacement foam and cover available. I also read that IMS has committed to producing a larger tank.

Back