• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

starter issues

Vikti

Reaction score
Hey all,

I have a 1983 Honda nighthawk 650 that I just got running from its winter slumber. I just installed a new battery the other day and it started up and runs great but it hesitate when I try to start it when the engine is warm. It starts on the first crank when its cold though. Could this be the first sign that I need to get the starter rebuilt? And if so, how how hard would it be to rebuild one seeing as I've never done one before? BTW, it is the original starter.

Damon

First guess is the connection at the starter is not good. Second guess would be starter solenoid. I'd start at the battery and check all the connections on the way down to the starter. It doesn't take too long and you'll know your starting electrics are in good shape.

I doubt it's the starter itself. You could try to rebuild it yourself if you're the adventurous type and have some time. If you're trying to save money or some such thing, buy a rebuilt one and be done with it.

Can you define "it hesitate" a little bit more.

Does the starter spin slower after the engine has warmed up or is the engine just slow to catch?

I would not start blaming the starter just yet.
Starters are easy enough to rebuild.

Has the starter been rebuilt before and if so how many times?

On similar vintage goldwings, that problem is the first sign that the starter needs replaced or rebuilt. When cold, the brushes make good contact, but when warm, everything has expanded a little. Sometimes, it leads to the starter shorting out on the case of the starter itself. Some of those starters are not rebuildable.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

some starters use four brushes and if one brush sticks, the starter will still work but make a lot less power.

check connections. and more importantly, check the battery. just because it is new does not mean it is good, especially if it came from Walmart.
the battery has to deliver a set amount of instant amps to properly crank over the engine. some cheap batteries don't put out enough amps.

looking like it's the starter. it barely turns over now so I'm looking into ordering a rebuild kit in the next day or so. I double checked all the connections and did a quick test on the solenoid and I get power at the starter so it kind of narrows down what's wrong

something tells me that I found my problem. three of the four brushes are almost nonexistent. time to get some solvent and clean everything off while I wait for my parts to come in

Attachments

• tmp_20140314_2025042131320723.jpg
    tmp_20140314_2025042131320723.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 134
  • tmp_20140314_2017321168392855.jpg
    tmp_20140314_2017321168392855.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 138
  • tmp_20140314_201855810947029.jpg
    tmp_20140314_201855810947029.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 139
Hooooooooobuddy! Now that's a well used starter.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

wow those are done for sure...whatever you do do not bang or hammer on the shell of the starter because you can fracture the frail magnet that wraps around the armature.

OK, starter has been rebuilt and now the engine literally starts on the first crank. But now it doesn't want to start when the engine is hot. I went for a ride today and when I got home I killed the engine and tried to restart it about 5 minutes and it wouldn't turn the engine over once, but now that the engine is close to room temperature it starts on the first crank again. This is getting pretty **** frustrating. If it's now one thing it's another. I've also checked all the connections and there is no corrosion on anything. Could it be the starter clutch?

Stupid bike is being a meanie head. ����:'(

What did you replace in the rebuild?

Sent from my handheld universal data mining enabler

I rebuilt the starter myself but I managed to get it up to my mechanic before he closed today and even he said that it doesn't seem to be the starter at this point. He wouldn't offer up any advice without money being involved but it does push start with no effort when the engine is hot. But, if it's the starter clutch, how hard is that to work on?

Are you saying it won't even TRY to start the motor once everything is warmed up?

Did you check the windings in the starter?
Electrical resistance goes up with temperature. It could be the stater windings or the battery cables.

Back