• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

LED replacement question

philipbarrett

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
A flying rock laid a direct hit on my rear turn signal so instead of replacing the OEM one I ordered a set of LED lights from ebay.

But after installing the rear I cannot get the flasher to work any longer. I've tried various resistors in series with the circuit, starting down at 1 ohm but without success.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
yes, resistor must be in PARALLEL!! Give me wattage of incandescant lamp replaced by LED and I'll compute resistor value for you

A flying rock laid a direct hit on my rear turn signal so instead of replacing the OEM one I ordered a set of LED lights from ebay.

But after installing the rear I cannot get the flasher to work any longer. I've tried various resistors in series with the circuit, starting down at 1 ohm but without success.

Any ideas?

Try looking for a digital flasher relay. Most OEM relays are load dependent. Get one that isn't, and it might solve your issue. Of course, if you only have one turn signal indicator on the dash, it could also cause other problems, such as causing all four lights to flash anytime you put on the turn signal.

Sent from my handheld universal data mining enabler

Goodness I'm an idiot - OF COURSE!:doh:

21 watt lamp, I get 1.5 ohms - all I had close were 1 ohm (no flash), tried 2 for 2 ohms (flash too fast). Correctamundo?

Question; if I replace front & rear do I need a different value and resistors in each circuit or is the single resistor on each side (left and right) sufficient?

Oh & thanks BTW :-)

Last edited:
Need resistor for EACH side, left/right
21w=1.75A@12v
r=V/A=12/1.75=6.8OHMS...BUT, thats for one lamp! 2 lamps=42W=3.5A=3.4 OHMS
Happy wiring!I would get 5Watt resistors and heat shrink everything. My .02, YMMV:rider:

Last edited:
13.6 ohms it is then...

I love my heat shrink. When you have 10,000 fans screaming for their favorite band you get pretty anal about wiring.

No, not 13.6 Ohms! One 3.4 for all right side lamps and same for left IF you went to all LEDs. 6.8 Ohms in parallel to EACH INCANDESCENT LAMP REPLACED. 2 lamps IN PARALLEL drops resistance in HALF! CLIP LEAD IT ALL TOGETHER BEFORE MAKING IT PERMANENT. As resistance drops flash rate goes faster.
Or......add 6.8 Ohms for each lamp converted to LED. You may want to wire to flasher socket or????? Remember, neatness counts!

Any ideas?

electronic flasher.. Ive done the resistor route for a long time,, but after installing a electronic flasher for a guy a year or so ago... im convinced, it;s the fastest and easiest way to get led lights back under flash control.

I assumed the turn lamps were single filament. If not, you'll have to figger out lamp pin configuration and wire accordingly. Good luck!

Doc & E.Marquez: youse guys are funny:rofl: 'lectronic flashers are PRICEY! Glad humor can be injected:clap:

electronic flasher from Auto zone! cheap and they can be popped open to change the flash rate.

now if this is with a late model BMW with the much cursed big brother computerized electrical system you may be screwed, check with the BMW folks.

Back