• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Alpinestars boot recomendations for dirt

japako

Reaction score
Well I've been told I need good boot for dirt riding. What I need to know is, How good?

I cannot afford Sidi boots and any other brands in that price range..

I have been looking at many different brands and keep coming back to Alpinestars. They have some things I like and some i don't.

I really like the scouts because they are waterproof. But I'm not sure they will be enough to use on rides like the CDR and other rides. I don't plan on riding single track, but you never know. I've not been on dirt in 35 or so years.

Do you think a Tech 3 would be better? I have a narrow foot so there are some that just will not work. Like the garne.

So any thoughts on boots that would work for me??
Thanksm

I have a pair of tech 3s. I am not sure if they are suppose to be waterproof, but I have been almost to the top of the boot in water and stay dry so far. I ride a Klr and they work great for me. I have used them on quads and dirt bikes as well with no problems. All boots are going to take getting use to.

I went and tried them on to make sure of size then found a pair on craigslist almost new $40. I can walk in them, but if i am off the bike for long periods of time i throw an extra pair of shoes in my bag.

Hope this helps.

I have a pair of tech 3s. I am not sure if they are suppose to be waterproof, but I have been almost to the top of the boot in water and stay dry so far. I ride a Klr and they work great for me. I have used them on quads and dirt bikes as well with no problems. All boots are going to take getting use to.

I went and tried them on to make sure of size then found a pair on craigslist almost new $40. I can walk in them, but if i am off the bike for long periods of time i throw an extra pair of shoes in my bag.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, This is what I'm looking for in feed back. Did they fit true to size in the length?

My Alpinestars ran big. I wear a 13 in running and casual shoes and I'm a 12 in Alpinestars. They label their 13 at a 48 Euro, and I'm a 46 or 47 Euro.

My Gaernes, which i LOVE, fit the same. Look into the G-React, its the ones I recently bought. They are very comfortable and have a "hinge" at the ankle which makes shifting soooo much easier for a brand new pair of boots.

I've heard good things about the Fox comp 5. From what I've read they don't offer quit as much protection as some of the other boots, but are much more comfortable for walking, which may be what you're looking for. I've never used them, but I have tried them on in the store. They felt comfy, but run small, so I needed a 14.

My Alpinestars ran big. I wear a 13 in running and casual shoes and I'm a 12 in Alpinestars. They label their 13 at a 48 Euro, and I'm a 46 or 47 Euro.

My Gaernes, which i LOVE, fit the same. Look into the G-React, its the ones I recently bought. They are very comfortable and have a "hinge" at the ankle which makes shifting soooo much easier for a brand new pair of boots.

I've heard good things about the Fox comp 5. From what I've read they don't offer quit as much protection as some of the other boots, but are much more comfortable for walking, which may be what you're looking for. I've never used them, but I have tried them on in the store. They felt comfy, but run small, so I needed a 14.

Which model of the Alps ran large?
I have been looking at the G-React and the seem very wide.?

My Alps are the Tech 8 and I've tried on the tech 3 and both fit the same.
My g-react boots are a 12 and I guess they're on the wide side. In fact I originally ordered a 13 since I had read they for true. I could have lived with the length, they were just a little too big that way, but they felt super wide for my foot. The 12 fits me great.
If you're close you're more than welcome to try them on.

Mine are tech 3s are 11 and And I wear 10.5 wide in tennis shoes.

My Alps are the Tech 8 and I've tried on the tech 3 and both fit the same.
My g-react boots are a 12 and I guess they're on the wide side. In fact I originally ordered a 13 since I had read they for true. I could have lived with the length, they were just a little too big that way, but they felt super wide for my foot. The 12 fits me great.
If you're close you're more than welcome to try them on.

Hey, thanks for the offer, I'm in Joshua but not sure how close that is.

Sorry for not posting on what I got for boots.
I bought the Alpinestar Scouts, size 11. They are a decent fit for a c width foot.
The boots are waterproof and are breaking in nicely.

I tried on a pair of 3s and they were like wearing a concrete boot, plus heavy.

I wore the scouts in Big Bend and they did fine.

Thanks for the help.

I have been involved in this discussion a million times over the years and the answer to the question is always the same, how much are your feet and ankles worth to you? I've been wearing AStars for over 20 years now and my feet and ankles still work as designed after many impacts with trail and tree. I see guys riding with tennis shoes and it sends shivers up my spine. :eek2:

I have been involved in this discussion a million times over the years and the answer to the question is always the same, how much are your feet and ankles worth to you? I've been wearing AStars for over 20 years now and my feet and ankles still work as designed after many impacts with trail and tree. I see guys riding with tennis shoes and it sends shivers up my spine. :eek2:

I would agree with you 100%. I wear full dirt boots even doing stuff like Big Bend, or Colorado Jeep roads. It just isn't work blowing out an ankle if something goes wrong. I have a well used 5 year old pair of Fox boots that are still holding up very well for the $175 they cost me to buy. I will settle for walking difficulties in exchange for more ankle protection while off pavement.

I would agree with you 100%. I wear full dirt boots even doing stuff like Big Bend, or Colorado Jeep roads. It just isn't work blowing out an ankle if something goes wrong. I have a well used 5 year old pair of Fox boots that are still holding up very well for the $175 they cost me to buy. I will settle for walking difficulties in exchange for more ankle protection while off pavement.

Hmmmm, I had somebody that was going to help me with buying gear, but he never showed up..
As a newbie, mistakes will happen..

Hmmmm, I had somebody that was going to help me with buying gear, but he never showed up..
As a newbie, mistakes will happen..

Oh dang it, I knew I forgot something. I'm sorry about that, I got busy and then forgot all about the PM. I'm sorry.

Oh dang it, I knew I forgot something. I'm sorry about that, I got busy and then forgot all about the PM. I'm sorry.

No worries Bill. I'm still looking for compression armor and jersys and pants.

I road in BB state park a couple of weeks ago and only came out with a fractured rib..:rofl: I had street gear on and now realize I need more armor.:lol2:

Well, I'm for sure not the guy for advice on pressure suits as I don't wear one. Until recently there haven't been any standards for impact absorption/spreading the hurt in the chest area so they were really kind of pointless in my book for the common dual sporter. However, Leatt (the people that have changed the neck protection game) have come out with some very interesting products in the armor category.
http://www.leatt-brace.com/index.php/choose-your-sport/mx/leatt-body-protector-adventure I can't say as to how comfy they are, or how well built they are, but just having certification on chest impact is a huge step in the right direction.

As for a jersey and pants I prefer something that I only have to buy once and it will last. I have one pair of Klim pants and one jersey. For me I sprung for the non-mesh in the boot style because I tend to do more of my dirt stuff during the cooler months where I don't sweat my hiney off. And for me I prefer in the boot because I tend to do more technical off-road and less dual sporting. And when it gets technical, pant cuffs tend to hang on anything and everything. For the casual dual sporter this is probably less of an issue.

The one bad thing about in-the-boot pants is the put on or pull on knee guards, it is a drop trou' exercise. Lucky for me my knee guards are comfy enough to wear all day long.

I've got an Alpinestars Bionic II pressure suit (I think that's what it is), and really like it. The chest portion doesn't offer as much as a standard chest protector, but for trail riding its great, and I imagine for dual sport it would be great too. It feels weird at first, almost restrictive, and you feel like a robot or something wearing it under a jersey. Eventually you get use to it and don't even notice. It is fairly hot though. What I like about it is, the armor stays in place, and it offers more protection that what I would normally wear (normally I wear chest protector and elbow/forearm gaurds). The pressure suit has has chest protection, forearm/elbow, shoulder, full road race style back protector, and kidney belt (which I really like, and I'm going to get one for when I just wear the chest protector). I don't wear it when I ride MX since I'm not in quit as much danger of hitting trees :lol2:

@ Bill and Jason,
Thanks for the info. At my age, the bones don't heal as fast as they use to.
That's why I thought a compression suit would be better for me, but if you have any other suggestions, I'm all ears. I have looked at the Alpinestars and Icon along with Forcefield.
I really know nothing about this type of gear. When I got my first bike in '65, we did not have the type of gear that is on the market today. Not many choices. :-?

One question about jersys and pants. Are they sized larger than normal so armor will fit under, or do you have to buy a larger size?

That's why I thought a compression suit would be better for me, but if you have any other suggestions, I'm all ears.
I wish I had first hand experience to give you with the Leatt stuff, but all I can say is from the articles I have read I would really try to find a local dealer that can get you one in to try out. They have been given some very high praise in almost every motorcycle publication for their armor.

One question about jersys and pants. Are they sized larger than normal so armor will fit under, or do you have to buy a larger size?

I've found that it depends on the brand. Brands that cater more to the MX crowd are typically more of the "European" fit. Brands that cater more to off-road types such as Klim, and Moose tend to be more American fit.

I wear the same size in Klim that I do with my regular street clothes and there is enough room for knee guards under the pants, and if I were to wear a pressure suit there would probably be enough room for that as well, although it really would depend on how the person for that one. Some people like tighter fitting clothing, and some don't.

I'm pretty sure all the armor on my A* suit is CE rated, so it's the same stuff they put in their road racing suits. Looking at the armor it looks like they just took armor from the road racing line and stitched it onto the pressure suit. If was was still doing track days, I'd pull the armor out of my jacket and wear this under it.

Back