TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > Texas Offroad Riders > The Sandpit

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 11-04-2017, 07:06 PM   #1
Rsquared
Forum Supporter

Electric Dirt Bike

I had my first chance to ride an electric motorcycle today and all I can say is I'm impressed. The bike is made by Alta and weighs about 260#. Pushing it around feels heavier than my 300 KTM, but once you get out on the trails the weight isn't noticeable. It actually feels lighter than my 300 and they tell me the reason is that it doesn't have the gyroscopic effect of the piston moving up and down. All I know is that it's very easy to turn. It has 4 power settings and I was in mode 2. It reminded me of my old 250 SX two stroke, it hit very hard. That electric bike is wicked fast and gets traction like nothing I've ever ridden. No clutch, no shifting, just twist the wick and hold on. My son rode it in all 4 modes and said mode 4 is just way too much, and he rides a 450...

Phone video of my son trying the Alta this morning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ud_P...ature=youtu.be

Old 11-04-2017, 07:15 PM   #2
budzrex

Re: Electric Dirt Bike

I think they are a great bike, i would like to see a quick way to charge it when out for a day ride. Like the ability to ride for more than an hour

They show in motocross a 45 minute time, so I am guessing maybe a 2 hour single track range

If I am going to haul out for the day, I want to be able to play for several hours each day 4 or 5 hours

4 hour recharge if I take a generator with me kind of kills a ride day, but I know they have made great leaps and will continue to, just not there yet.
1992 RM250
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T
2005 Dodge Ram

The best times in life are often behind bars
just pick horizontal ones
budzrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 08:45 PM   #3
_RG_

Thanks for putting this up. One of these days that battery thing will get solved and then stuff gets interesting. I'm guessing right now the cost of swap-able batteries is just to expensive? Would be nice to have one charging back at the camp while out riding trails and swap out during lunch...
Old 11-05-2017, 04:28 AM   #4
woodsguy
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by _RG_ View Post
Thanks for putting this up. One of these days that battery thing will get solved and then stuff gets interesting. I'm guessing right now the cost of swap-able batteries is just to expensive? Would be nice to have one charging back at the camp while out riding trails and swap out during lunch...
I test rode one earlier this fall, if I remember right it was around 3000 dollars for the battery. Plus I have no idea what is involved in switching the battery out. As Roger said the bike is fast and has quality components similar to KTM, but till the battery life gets solved it's not much use, especially offload.

And on top of that I'm thinking retail is right at 15000!!

Soon but not yet.
TORCS #70
2017 Corvette Grand Sport (7M)
2017 KTM 250 XC
2017 Honda CRF 450 RX
2016 BMW R1200RS
2016 BMW 800 GS
woodsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 09:35 AM   #5
gixxerjasen

If you had trails on your own land or out your back door, this would be awesome. Come home from work, unplug the bike and go for a rip.

Unfortunately, not so good for folks like us that live in the big city and have to truck our bikes to somewhere to ride and want to ride all day.
gixxerjasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 04:33 PM   #6
Vinny
Forum Supporter

Curious of where you rode it ?
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 04:42 PM   #7
Vinny
Forum Supporter

Some other choices . Bultaco has a nice offering.

https://youtu.be/b-YyKy8WWmo
Old 11-05-2017, 05:18 PM   #8
woodsguy
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Curious of where you rode it ?
TRH had a private 7 mile loop in forest for special event.
TORCS #70
2017 KTM 250 XC
2017 Honda CRF 450 RX
2016 BMW R1200RS
2016 BMW 800 GS
Old 11-06-2017, 02:24 PM   #9
Vinny
Forum Supporter

Another news from KTM

https://electrek.co/2017/11/06/ktm-e...-more-battery/
Old 11-06-2017, 05:04 PM   #10
Rsquared
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
After reading up on the KTM E-Bike, I pulled up the Alta website. It's no wonder I was so impressed with the power output with 120 ft lbs of torque...
https://www.altamotors.co/redshiftmx#redshift-mx

It'll be interesting to watch this type motorcycle evolve in the next few years. Without a doubt the one they'll be selling five years from now will be dramatically better than the electric motorcycle of today.

Last edited by Rsquared; 11-06-2017 at 05:06 PM.
Rsquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 07:54 PM   #11
woodsguy
Forum Supporter

I think between perception to some, and for real battery life or lack of and stiff initial price, it'll be a while. And a major failure could be really huge bucks.
TORCS #70
2017 KTM 250 XC
2017 Honda CRF 450 RX
2016 BMW R1200RS
2016 BMW 800 GS
Old 11-07-2017, 01:14 AM   #12
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsquared View Post
After reading up on the KTM E-Bike, I pulled up the Alta website. It's no wonder I was so impressed with the power output with 120 ft lbs of torque...
https://www.altamotors.co/redshiftmx#redshift-mx

It'll be interesting to watch this type motorcycle evolve in the next few years. Without a doubt the one they'll be selling five years from now will be dramatically better than the electric motorcycle of today.

There needs to be a race series with several manufacturers participating. Sprints and endurance series would be needed. That will drive innovation.

I have no particular bias against electric versus gas as the means of locomotion. But like many folks, my concern would be range and recharge time. What if I forget to put it on the charger after a ride and go out later to ride...? Unlike a gas bike, I can't just top it off and go riding. I have to wait for it to charge. This is why I would think some kind of hybrid might be cool, but I don't know enough about the tech to know if that would be feasible. Maybe the combination of an alternator big enough to crank out the required amps and the gas motor big enough to turn it would be too big and heavy to be practical? Otherwise, I would definitely want to have a viable option for a spare battery at a REASONABLE cost...

Total Forum Supporter Donations For October: $323.43 - Previous Month: $685.11 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 128 Current Forum Supporters out of 20679 Users (0.62%)
Support TWT by shopping at Amazon

The number one rule for this forum!
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Tourmeister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 09:36 AM   #13
Johnf3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourmeister View Post
There needs to be a race series with several manufacturers participating. Sprints and endurance series would be needed. That will drive innovation.
Racing for sure accelerates development. The Isle of Man TT has had an electric class for several years now, and those bikes are fast...over 117 mph average on that TT course. Pikes Peak hill climb has an electric class, and this article says MotoGP will too.

https://newatlas.com/isle-of-man-2017-tt-zero/49979/

As far as dirt bikes, the Japanese just now figured out that E start on motocross bikes is a good thing, over 10 years after KTM did it. I am not sure they are going to be on the leading edge of electric dirt bikes. Companies like Alta and KTM will be though, and development is advancing quickly.

In my mid-50's now and at first didn't think I would ever have an opportunity, in a practical sense (equal to today's gas powered bikes in range and performance) to ride electric dirt bikes, but maybe it will happen before I get too old to swing a leg over a bike still.
Johnf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 10:02 AM   #14
woodsguy
Forum Supporter

John, no doubt that will happen. This bike is close now except range.
TORCS #70
2017 KTM 250 XC
2017 Honda CRF 450 RX
2016 BMW R1200RS
2016 BMW 800 GS
Old 11-07-2017, 11:02 AM   #15
gixxerjasen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnf3 View Post
Racing for sure accelerates development. The Isle of Man TT has had an electric class for several years now, and those bikes are fast...over 117 mph average on that TT course. Pikes Peak hill climb has an electric class, and this article says MotoGP will too.

https://newatlas.com/isle-of-man-2017-tt-zero/49979/
Which is quite a bit up over the 2009 TTXGP at the same location with an average speed of 87.434 mph.

I definitely believe the Motorcycle Industry will be the push for better technology. Cars aren't as affected by weight and power as motorcycles are. But unfortunately motorcycles have less $$$ in both the the industry and racing for us to see real gains until they improve their foothold in the market and the racing. But it's happening.
gixxerjasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 05:57 PM   #16
Jammin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsquared View Post
I had my first chance to ride an electric motorcycle today and all I can say is I'm impressed.
Super cool. I can't wait till electric bikes solve the range problem and then the cost. I think, just as with electric cars, once the range is not an issue for the user, more people will get them and then the price will drop. KTM getting into electric bikes will surely turn a lot of attention to this sector. Kudos to them

Previous Rides
14 KTM Duke 390 Katya
03 Royal Enfield Machismo 350 Nylah
04 Suzuki DR650 auDRey
04 Suzuki GSX-R600 Myra
92 Suzuki GS500 Trisha
95 Ducati 900SS (wrong first bike )

Ride reports (on ADV): RTW, CDR, Alaska, Mehico
Jammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 05:37 PM   #17
humanrace

I rode one today. Impressed also. With 53 years of shifter bikes under my belt, I tried to short shift when I first took off. Slam on the rear brake, engine doesn't die. I had a smile the entire time I rode.
"For that day a large wisdom came to me. There was a great light, and I saw clear, and I knew that it was not for money that a man must live, but for a happiness that no man can give, or buy, or sell, and that is beyond all value of all money in the world." Sitka Charlie, Eskimo.
humanrace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 06:36 PM   #18
budzrex

There was a guy out at the Fly Funday today on one looked smooth and he was giving the guys fits in the holeshot challenge
1992 RM250
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T
2005 Dodge Ram

The best times in life are often behind bars
just pick horizontal ones
budzrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 07:26 PM   #19
woodsguy
Forum Supporter

FWIW, Cycle Shack North has put a 3000 dollar discount on this one, if anyone is interested.
TORCS #70
2017 KTM 250 XC
2017 Honda CRF 450 RX
2016 BMW R1200RS
2016 BMW 800 GS
Old 11-30-2017, 01:52 AM   #20
Vinny
Forum Supporter

TJ's in Austin is bringing an Alta to their next demo day.