• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Arkansas ADV Ride Aug 24-26

Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Loggins
This started as a request for someone to show me some Arkansas dirt roads and ended up becoming something a bit more fun.

The plan is to arrive August 24th. Ride the 25th and some more the 26th. Return home the afternoon of the 26th. We have a couple guys familiar with the area but no preset routes at present. (I plan to follow someone that appears to know where they are going. :) ) Riding will be mostly off road, assuming big bikes (AT / GS / Sup10). Trails will be mostly rural county roads but do include inclines, rocks and water crossings. Intermediate off road experience is assumed.

Lodging: Some are staying at Caddo Gap at Arrowhead Cabins and Canoe. http://www.caddocanoe.com (camping / cabins on the river). Or...there are motels in Glenwood Ark, 8 miles away. Cabins have no cable if that matters to you.

In:
Jarett
woodsguy
misterk
MacDaddy
2WheelNut

Some will be riding up and some trailering. Sharing campsites, motel rooms or cabins is welcome, but you need to make your own arrangements.

The original thread is here if you want a bit more background:
http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117826

Come join us....looking to be a fun trip.

Last edited:
Re: Arkansas Dual Sport Aug 24-26

"I also know a route from Wolf Pen Gap to Hatfield onto the K trail over to 259/Three Sticks monument."

Is this big bike friendly for normal people, lol!!

Arkansas Dual Sport Aug 24-26

Good job super Dave! If you are taking your 450 it is a dual sport ride, if you are taking your gs, you may want to change title to ADV ride.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Is this big bike friendly for normal people, lol!!

Define Normal? For everybody...probably no.

Well it's certainly different than the three Baja 1000's I've competed in :lol2: but much easier. The part from Hatfield to Three Sticks is the challenging part. I don't think you have to be an expert but this isn't the bunny hill at the ski lodge either. It is certainly remote. Guys like 2WheelNut or misterk will have no problem and hopefully feel challenged but if you're not confident in your skills (and you know who you are) this isn't the best route for you. This is more than what you think of from your normal scenic ride through the forest (Wolf Pen to Hatfield).

I was with some friends a couple weeks ago when one of them high sided at slow speed on a calichi road. Well one broken shoulder blade, collar bone, rib #4 and two punctured lungs later it was nice that the ambulance could drive right up to us after we made the 911 call because we had cell service. :eek2:

Last edited:

Trails will be mostly rural county roads but do include inclines, rocks and water crossings./QUOTE]

Be sure to have a skid plate. If you get off the graded forest roads (and there are plenty) you'll find rocks, rocks and more rocks. There is rock under the rocks and in other places there are rocks over the rock but did I mention it? There are rocks in them there hills. Probably nothing like Colorado but plenty still.

Wish I could go, but I know I wouldn't be comfortable on some of it. I also don't have the money or time away from work to be able to right now. Looking forward to the ride report from this trip.

Define Normal? For everybody...probably no.

Well it's certainly different than the three Baja 1000's I've competed in :lol2: but much easier. The part from Hatfield to Three Sticks is the challenging part. I don't think you have to be an expert but this isn't the bunny hill at the ski lodge either. It is certainly remote. Guys like 2WheelNut or misterk will have no problem and hopefully feel challenged but if you're not confident in your skills (and you know who you are) this isn't the best route for you. This is more than what you think of from your normal scenic ride through the forest (Wolf Pen to Hatfield).

I was with some friends a couple weeks ago when one of them high sided at slow speed on a calichi road. Well one broken shoulder blade, collar bone, rib #4 and two punctured lungs later it was nice that the ambulance could drive right up to us after we made the 911 call because we had cell service. :eek2:

:giveup:, don't sound GS800 friendly

:giveup:, don't sound GS800 friendly

Woodsguy....I haven't ridden with you so I can't speak about how comfortable you'll be but this is definitely a big bike event and ride. I'll be on a 1200GS, I assume MacDaddy will be on his Super10, Kevin and Jarrett (I think) will be on an AT and if Gary comes he's on a 1200GS as well. So...all big bikes as far as I know so a GS800 would be one of the smallest and should definitely be able to do the ride.

I know we have a mix of skills on this ride. Some started riding dirt in the last few years and others have raced at an expert level. We'll have to pick routes that make sense for that group and we'll pick another path if it gets too difficult for big bikes.

Challenge is good, but if we get to where a someone is having to ride above their head, we'll have to figure something out or turn around. The goal is to have fun, not to end up with broken bikes or bones.

Having said that, nothing says that everyone that comes has to do the exact same ride. If the more experienced guys want to take a harder route, maybe we split up a bit and meet on the other side for lunch.

Last edited:

Good job super Dave! If you are taking your 450 it is a dual sport ride, if you are taking your gs, you may want to change title to ADV ride.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Noted and changed: This is definitely a big bike ride. I may ride the GS from my house.

Last edited:

Jarrett, I haven't ridden with you so I can't speak about how comfortable you'll be but this is definitely a big bike event and ride. A GS800 can definitely do the ride.

That was Woodsguy that posted that. I don't ride a GS800.

To answer your question though. After spending a couple of days following the Adventure Tejas guys through gravel, dirt, rocks, sand and water crossings and then trying to follow Mac Daddy through the gravel roads around here and leading my own gravel rides, I'm feeling much more confident off pavement. I don't have any concern about riding on forest roads in Arkansas.

I know to ride my ride and turn aroind when it's beyond my skillset.

Last edited by a moderator:

If the k-trail is the one I am thinking of, I will do the easy way around to 3 sticks, there is a section in there that is not big bike friendly.

Definitely a big bike ride (I'll be on my Tenere) and your GS sounds perfect. I was just speaking about that one road towards 3 sticks that I was asked about. There are all sorts of places to ride that exclude it.

It can be hard on these forums to communicate your message to everyone. I guess I'm trying to be polite to some of out newer adventure riders and say this isn't the best route for them. I'm probably a little jaded here at the moment because on three of the last four rides I've done with folks, we had rider one (newer rider) crash/lay it down 100' past the corner on a gravel road. Oddly enough (newer rider) rider two on a different day crashed 100' before the very same corner on that gravel road. There were no sight obstructions or anything to make that particular corner anymore difficult than any other and should have been easy. Rider three (rode dirt bikes as a kid and Harleys' the last nine years) crashed past the corner. When I went back the bike was in the ditch 150' beyond the corner. No one came into hot and blew through the middle of a corner.

As best we/I can figure, all were related to issues of where they were looking at and not exactly where they wanted to go. How the heck do you foresee and control that? The first two riders were able to shrug it off and continue the ride. The last one left in the ambulance while we went back with a trailer and brought his new GSA home with the buyer tag still attached.

There is no one set route and I'd be shocked if everyone rode the exact same ride. It's a great place for you and your GS to ride please come out. I guess I just want riders to be honest with themselves and get in the group that best suites their abilities.

If the k-trail is the one I am thinking of, I will do the easy way around to 3 sticks, there is a section in there that is not big bike friendly.

If we're on the same page, that section is between Clayton and Three Sticks, Not from Three Sticks to Hatfield.

I'll add this. Don't try to keep up with Mac Daddy. Don't try to emulate his riding style. If you don't fly around corners on gravel normally while standing up, don't try it on the fly during the ride while following him just because he makes it look easy. It can be costly.

I've found it's best just to ride your ride, work within your skill set. He's typically fine with waiting on you at the next fork in the road.

Definitely a big bike ride (I'll be on my Tenere) and your GS sounds perfect. I was just speaking about that one road towards 3 sticks that I was asked about. There are all sorts of places to ride that exclude it.

It can be hard on these forums to communicate your message to everyone. I guess I'm trying to be polite to some of out newer adventure riders and say this isn't the best route for them. I'm probably a little jaded here at the moment because on three of the last four rides I've done with folks, we had rider one (newer rider) crash/lay it down 100' past the corner on a gravel road. Oddly enough (newer rider) rider two on a different day crashed 100' before the very same corner on that gravel road. There were no sight obstructions or anything to make that particular corner anymore difficult than any other and should have been easy. Rider three (rode dirt bikes as a kid and Harleys' the last nine years) crashed past the corner. When I went back the bike was in the ditch 150' beyond the corner. No one came into hot and blew through the middle of a corner.

As best we/I can figure, all were related to issues of where they were looking at and not exactly where they wanted to go. How the heck do you foresee and control that? The first two riders were able to shrug it off and continue the ride. The last one left in the ambulance while we went back with a trailer and brought his new GSA home with the buyer tag still attached.

There is no one set route and I'd be shocked if everyone rode the exact same ride. It's a great place for you and your GS to ride please come out. I guess I just want riders to be honest with themselves and get in the group that best suites their abilities.

First, I'm in! I'm 66 y/o and have to respect the weight of big bikes. That said I'm an offroad rider first and foremost (doesn't mean I can't screw up). Still race TORCS, so it's not so much a skill thing as I just have the utmost respect for a big bike eating my lunch. I've ridden Ark forest service roads on my 1190R and so forth. Just not wanting to get into single track or atv trail that I'm not comfortable with on the big bike! I'm not a negative guy, just want to come home like I get there, for everyone!!!! Looking forward to it. Rob

First, I'm in! I'm 66 y/o and have to respect the weight of big bikes. That said I'm an offroad rider first and foremost (doesn't mean I can't screw up). Still race TORCS, so it's not so much a skill thing as I just have the utmost respect for a big bike eating my lunch. I've ridden Ark forest service roads on my 1190R and so forth. Just not wanting to get into single track or atv trail that I'm not comfortable with on the big bike! I'm not a negative guy, just want to come home like I get there, for everyone!!!! Looking forward to it. Rob

Awesome and agreed. I'd be taking the WR450 if I was expecting difficult singletrack, I'm not.

Also looking forward to it.

That's crazy. I was with you on the first ride and you are right, there is nothing that different or difficult about that corner as compared to the hundred before it.

Really strange to have 3 crashes there. There must be something about it, that you don't realize you're compensating for when you've been riding a long time.

Anyway....that corner is safely in Texas. We'll be safe from it in Arkansas. :)

Last edited:

If we're on the same page, that section is between Clayton and Three Sticks, Not from Three Sticks to Hatfield.
yep, that is the section I was thinking about........that is crf250 territory.

BTW: I dont know what corner you keep taking people down, but next time I ride with you, I am staying away from THAT corner.......you must have put some bad voodoo motor mojo on that corner LOL.

yep, that is the section I was thinking about........that is crf250 territory.

Yeah misterk, I don't want any part of that either. I plan to ride and not push my 600 pound beast which usually rides on 90/10 tires. We used to have a cabin close to 3 Sticks back when I didn't own a motorcycle. The wife and I used to drive on the part I'm thinking about riding on in August, in a 2wd long bed Ford p/u with a 300 six-cylinder with a 5 spd on the floor and us just putting around in 1st and 2nd gear. Rumor has it that no one spilled their beer in the process. But I cannot confirm or deny this. :trust:

Last edited:

You are just the kind of guy I'm looking for.

I guess all I'm saying is that I'm willing to lead some like minded folks around that have some base experience like, but not even as great as yours. I'm sorry if I made it sound like I was going to try and climb Widowmaker but I suppose I'm little gun shy after seeing some of our newer friends go down on gravel roads.

Last edited:

2Wheelnut, I am very grateful that you were behind me the day I went down after that turn. I have no illusions of my lack of experience and weight of my bike now. Some people (myself included) need a hard reality check to get themselves straight (so to speak).

I want to try something like this, but I don't know that I would actually be up for it as it is kind of hard for me to stand and the bike and use the throttle/brake/clutch with my bars as low as they are. Again, knowing when not to do something is a good thing, but a hard lesson to teach to yourself.

This trip is starting on such a positive note :rofl:

Back