• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

AGV Miglia helmet

Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Peyton
I know all of you have been waiting on pins & needles for my new AGV Miglia helmet to show up. :mrgreen: Well, it came today and I will reward your patience with a review! I might even have a picture or two!!

It came with a clear visor, but I bought the smoke one as well. I figured it would help with the sun on those bright Texas days. And it looks good too...

newhelmet002.jpg

newhelmet005.jpg

newhelmet006.jpg

I tried it on & it fits pretty good (whew!). It is a bit lighter than my old HJC, but not as light as I had hoped. The reviews from webbikeworld said it was one of the lightest flip-ups out there. They also said my HJC was one of the heavier helmets. Honestly, at least sitting here at the computer, there's not that much of a difference.

newhelmet008.jpg

The area around the jaw, just in front of the ears curves in toward my face a little more than the HJC, which makes it a little tight when donning & doffing. Its not bad, just a little tighter than what I'm used to. The AGV fits better everywhere else. Its snug & secure, but causes no pain.

newhelmet003.jpg

Very nice padding, but stiffer than I expected. The pictures make it look plush on the inside. It looks like a better quality interior than the old HJC.

newhelmet013.jpg

newhelmet014.jpg

newhelmet015.jpg

The outside of the helmet is a bit bigger than I expected. Its even a little bigger than the old one. It looks like a big 8 ball. The shape looks more round than my HJC, but when they're side by side, they're remarkably similar. I hope I didn't just buy a remake of my old helmet in flat black!

newhelmet009.jpg

newhelmet010.jpg

The locking mechanism for the flip-up is far superior to the HJC. It opens way easier & closes with a very confidence inspiring click. I like this feature a lot! Also, the visor is easier to remove & reinstall than the HJC, which I think is a pain! Two thumbs WAY up, here.

newhelmet011.jpg

First impressions, it seems like a very well made helmet, especially for the price. I believe it is a better helmet than my old HJC which was quite a bit pricier when I bought it new a few years ago.

Going for a quick trip around the block! :rider: Stay tuned for further developments...

lurker.gif

:rider: :rider: :rider: :rider:

:rider::rider:
concrete-block.png
:rider: :rider:

:rider: :rider: :rider: :rider:

After a quick ride with the new AGV, it feels lighter when riding than the HJC. It really is a noticeable difference. It is quieter, and at speeds 60mph & less, far quieter than the HJC. After 60, the boomy wind noise is still there, but less. If a man wore earplugs, I would think this would be a fairly quiet helmet. I also noticed almost NO buffeting, even at faster highway speeds. I really like this helmet better. I can't wait to go for a longer distance ride.

On a size note, The website has a sizing chart. According to their chart, my head size was a medium. I knew a medium wouldn't fit. I've tried on many helmets in the past & was always an L or XL. I also read in the buyer reviews, someone stated to buy a size larger, so I bought the large. I'm glad I did. The fit is great. Nice & snug, but no pain. Also, the ear pockets are nice & big. You could easily put speakers in there.

I ordered the helmet from the Motorcycle Superstore. Great price & free shipping. I also ordered the breath guard, but it turns out, the helmet came with it, so I have an extra. Oh, well, my fault for not doing enough reading...

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/38/1478/ITEM/AGV-Miglia-Modular-Helmet.aspx?SiteID=CSE_GBase_038&WT.mc_ID=80003&zmam=88421133&zmas=1&zmac=2&zmap=1478

I've had mine for a couple of years now and have no real complaints. A few niggling ones, but nothing major.

It seems remarkably cool and comfortable in the summer even with the apparent lack of venting. That's a good thing because the only thing I can tell that opening the top vent does is make it whistle. I notice NO difference in air flow. That being said, it's still much cooler than the AVG helmet it replaced. Frankly, I'm amazed at how comfortable it is. So I"m really not complaining about lack of venting, but just about the whistling.

The second complaint is the chin curtain. Compared to the BMW Schuberth helmets I had (a System I and a System III), the chin curtain is really small, flimsy, and ineffective. Mine also split horizontally so that instead of one thin chin curtain, I now have two really, really thin ones. It/they sometimes annoyingly tickle my chin, but it's rare and not really that bothersome.

Lastly, the chin strap works loose over time. My previous helmets with buckle systems also did this, so I expect it just goes with the breed. D-rings are tightened every time you put on the helmet, so it's not an issue with them.

To me, those are all minor issues. I love the way the helmet fits. It's quiet and comfortable enough for all-day rides. I have a problem with helmets that fit too snugly against and around my ears, but this one is never a problem. Other than the chin vent and the apparently useless one on the top, I see no venting, but this helmet has never felt uncomfortably hot as long as I'm moving. Conversely, I've never felt that there was too much air flow in the winter either. The crappy chin curtain lets my chin get pretty cold though. No problems with fogging in any conditions I've been in except stopped in really cold weather - but cracking the visor until I start moving resolves that.

Overall, I give it four stars. For the price - five. I don't know what the industry recommendation is, but I try to replace my helmet every two to three years. It's about time, and I'm planning on getting another one of these. Enough said.

I'm glad to hear you're happy with it. :thumb: I can't wait to try it on a long ride. Hopefully this weekend.

Ok, after a couple of longer rides (as in a couple hours or so), I'm loving this helmet! Now I'm starting to wonder what it's like to wear a carbon fiber helmet. The lighter weight really makes a difference.

I know what you mean about the chin curtain, Lee. I think it would be better if it were a tad bigger. It's split for easier access to the lift button, but I wonder if it really needs to be. Either way, my old HJC didn't even have a chin curtain, so the AGV is an improvement.

I also agree with you about the comfort. Very nice fit. The more I wear it, the more I like it.

:thumb: :thumb:

Back