• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

The DR/DRZ Thread

Can anyone tell me where they publish horse power/torque for their DR650?

And since I see a lot of carburetor questions, do they still sell glass spark plugs in the US? (Great to nail idle and monitor combustion up to mid RPM range, for top end though don't use em, they won't hold up while you stare through them, all you have is killing engine at WoT and checking color of deposits)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

New to me 00 Z400 in 2012 pajamas.
20289919_1682622485084262_1453869345_n.jpg

Last edited:
2a4d459726ac48a9bbaea1612cd18291.jpg

Problem #1

The 00' DR650 (5k miles) starts right up without any choke! Once properly warmed up the bike fails to maintain idle (stalling out). It's my opinion the pilot screw has been altered as it's missing the plug.

Screw in pilot all the way at this point I believe its running.... rich...? Burp the throttle RPM shoots from 2500-1500. Back off the pilot screw 1/2 turn (each time burping throttle) until I have a smooth transition from 2500-1500.

Currently maintaining idle at temperature. Fingers crossed!

f78b33659e06839a6d438e11dee9466d.jpg

Problem #2

I'm really not sure how the previous owner was able to rock the custom brake lever for so long! $30 and about 30 minutes doing my best not to damage the springs.

e8c78406c6d41077e0884ddf9c4a6b60.jpg

Figured I'd post up my Supermoto

2003 DRZ400E
Cylinder Works big bore
Ferrea valves
Warp 9 wheels
RM250 forks w/RMZ450 GPR V4 Stabilizer setup
Couple of other things

Gives my friends KX450SM a run for its money

Attachments

• unnamed (5).jpg
    unnamed (5).jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 181
  • unnamed (4).jpg
    unnamed (4).jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 195
  • 20476317_10214663089790547_8999216996811220742_n.jpg
    20476317_10214663089790547_8999216996811220742_n.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 185
Another KLX Enduro question.
Scott, the previous owner, put a fan on the radiator, along with a manual on off switch. I noticed while I was playing with the idle without the fan on (ambient temp 99 DegF) that the radiator bypass pressured up the tank. It was fully warmed up, and I was taking my own sweet time to adjust the idle. I turned on the fan and drove it, and that stopped the boiling. Checked the coolant after cool-down, and the level was at the top of the radiator.

Did the Enduro version come without a fan? That seems pretty risky to me. That was a pretty quick boil over. I have a gallon of Evans Waterless coolant. Maybe I should use it for this. I brought up using it in a previous post for my DRZ400. I just haven't gotten around to putting it in, yet. I want to know the best way to completely purge the old coolant out of the 400 cooling system. Just 3% water contamination makes the Evans coolant ineffective. Any comments appreciated.

I put the Evans Coolant in my DRZ400. I used the Evans flush, and left the drain open as I added it, until the green turned clear, the color of the flush. Took a ride to mix the flush with the remaining coolant. I also used the exhaust of my shop vac to blow some of the antifreeze and antifreeze/Evans flush out. I then left the drain open and pushed out some of the flush with the Evans Coolant. Drove the DRZ again, and checked with a Refractometer I bought with the flush. I showed only 1% water, so I look good to go.

I also insulated my Clark tank. I think on another thread I mentioned I boiled my gas while trail riding on a Jeep trail near Big Bend State Park. I had noticed that gas was running out my bowl over flow due to the excessive pressure from the boiling gas. I noticed it because the engine stalled. I was using the Clark vent on the gas cap that did not release enough pressure from the boiling thus pressuring the tank. I pulled the cap off, and the gas came out of the tank like a volcano, going over my head and dousing me all over. The same thing happened to my riding buddy at exactly the same time. He also has a Clark tank. He loosened his cap more slowly and gas also came out the top of the tank, though not as dramatically as mine. Next is my KLX 400.

Attachments

• Tank Insulated.jpg
    Tank Insulated.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 207
Question on the BSR carb, are they the same from 00 to current, any changes ?
did they ever plug the AF screw in a certain year ? I want to replace my 00 BSR with a newer one, plug and play, thanks.

When I need information like this I go to bike bandit and look up the part numbers. IMHO, no doubt in 17 years something changed on the carb, likely something for emissions. But as far as anything you might see as an advantage probably not. Just a guess, but I have driven a 2011 and a 2012, and I did not see any discernible difference from my bulletproof 2006.

Question on the BSR carb, are they the same from 00 to current, any changes ?
did they ever plug the AF screw in a certain year ? I want to replace my 00 BSR with a newer one, plug and play, thanks.

Same all years other then on California bikes

And all BSR 36 carbs came from the manufacture with the brass plug covering the fuel screw

dr350leftside.jpg

dr350rightside.jpg

I will probably end up ordering a set of side covers off of Ebay, but I wanted to post here first. I am need of a left side cover (covers battery etc) for a 92 DR350S. I speculate that they are rare!!

I am narrowing down the cosmetics on my project, and this is the last major piece.

thanks!!

Craig

I went back in and edited to add pics. I haven't put the headlight bezel on, I am waiting for a new ignition switch. I also need to add turn signals. But, these pics are a long ways from when I started! I am waiting on rear rubber, and other miscellaneous parts.

Here it is right after I started. I doubled my investment that day by putting a new battery on it!

dr350beginning.jpg

I really need to do that build thread now...

Last edited:
It's September 19 and I have a bunch of parts in the garage waiting on Texas "Fall" weather to show up so that the garage is bearable. Sigh.

Question for the group: I recently crushed my taillight (see pictures) so I need a replacement. Any thoughts?
fd2a89bde36ff05f3f1467fafaec3119.jpg
99d000e32812626771f0afaf5380dda4.jpg
7a0df511c4c8fa30ff80f4a89756960d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

I have a dollar that says wheelie gone wrong. Don't ask me how I'd know that.

This is the UFO tail light blinker combo version I have on my Drz400s .... from what I have seen there are very few tail light -- integrated - blinkers combo versions .... let us know what you end up with.

Attachments

• IMG_0242.JPG
    IMG_0242.JPG
    15.5 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:
Lost my dollar. My bike had the UFO taillight on it when I bought it. It had a cracked turn signal lens and it was something like 30 bucks to replace. There was some kind of issue with the main tail light too, but I don't remember the in and outs of it. I have installed the Edge unit in it's place and I'm happy with it. I installed the whole unit with the turn signals using their bracket. It's been dropped a couple of times and one of the turn signals doesn't want to stay pointed in the right direction anymore. You can buy a pair of them for a little more than one UFO lens. I'm also using that same turn signal on the front. If you use their mount and their turn signals, they will flash fast unless you put a resister in the circuit or change the flasher. I removed the connectors from the fuse box and installed an aftermarket flasher.

I have a question regarding my 2001 DRZ400e. I have new front brake pads, rotor, and master cylinder. When I apply full pressure on the master cylinder lever while riding on pavement, the front tire will not lock up. It brakes pretty hard but not enough to lock the wheel. Is this normal? If not, any ideas as to why?
Thanks

New doesn’t really equal quality or serviceable
So what kind of new brake pad what kind of new rotor was the rotor completely decreased before installed with the pads bedded in after install what’s the condition of the brake line how old is it?
Have you opened up the caliber replaced seals and clean the inevitable gunk out of the born? Same thing with the master cylinder
What kind of brake fluid did you use? Is the lever very firm or squishy?

Back