• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Suggestions for boots?

Reaction score
I need some help for a decent pair of riding boots, mainly because it's my first pair and I'll also need them for the safety course.

Looking over some of the stuff that's out there, I really like the looks of Dainese boots but the cost is high and I've read some various sources that their leather is on the thinner side; seems more like you're paying for the name than anything else. But of course they mainly focus on racing boots so I don't think I need such an aggressive look either with just trying to get back into riding.

Update: So I went and tried on a few different pairs of boots ranging from Alpine, Dianese and Sedici. I brought home a pair of Alpine S-MX 1 which I think has been discontinued in favor of the S-MX 2, but the differences seem very small. I didn't want to go overboard just yet with new stuff. Of course the selection at Cycle Gear was a little limited but I think I did ok. Anyone had these before? Anything I should watch out for?

Check the for sale forum area for hot deals on slightly used boots. The last pair I picked up used were Gaerne.

All you really need for a course are boots that cover the ankle. If you want motorcycle specific boots, Tourmaster make some nice boots for around $100.

I have Gaerne racing boots, and Sidi touring boots. I wear either where it makes sense. Both have been solid.

I frequently get booed for this suggestion, but I just wear ankle-high goretex hiking boots. Comfortable, protective, and imminently useful at the other end of the road. If getting your laces tangled is a concern, a piece of duck tape suffices.

I frequently get booed for this suggestion, but I just wear ankle-high goretex hiking boots. Comfortable, protective, and imminently useful at the other end of the road. If getting your laces tangled is a concern, a piece of duck tape suffices.

Much better then flip flops or Converse hightops for sure.

But not a equal replacement to a riding boot Im sure you would agree. :giveup:

Your point of "after the ride" is valid though....I've walked many a mile in my riding boots, while ok,,,a pair of good fitting hiking boots would have been much more comfy.

Like wearing a full face helmet vs a more comfy 3/4... I choose the trade off in comfort for additional protection of a dedicated riding boot.

to the OP..I have been wearing the same pair of Alpinestars SMX-5 boots for about 8 years now....replaced one zipper a few months ago.. and the soles are finally in need of replacement or the entire boot if needed.
about 8 years.

Likely i will replace them with a new set of SMX-5 Alpinestars :-D

Dedicated riding boots will depend on the riding you do. There is a lot of overlap, but street boots differ from track boots and adventure boots are different yet again. Some DS riders wear motocross boots. I like Sidi Adventures. They are expensive, but durable, and they saved me from spending unwanted time in a cast a couple of years back.

When I bought the wee I upgraded from base model Alpinestar boot to the Gaerne G-Adventure Boots . A little pricey but very comfortable out of the box. Never could get the Velcro to stick on the Alpines :scratch:

I need some help for a decent pair of riding boots, mainly because it's my first pair and I'll also need them for the safety course.

Looking over some of the stuff that's out there, I really like the looks of Dainese boots but the cost is high and I've read some various sources that their leather is on the thinner side; seems more like you're paying for the name than anything else. But of course they mainly focus on racing boots so I don't think I need such an aggressive look either with just trying to get back into riding.

what kind of riding do you do, I highly suggest the tourmaster solution 2.0 as a great do it all inexpensive, riding boot.

I am still wearing my 1989 Sidis (now sold as Aerostitch combat . Still waterproof, soles good with minimal care. Value for money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sidi canyons goretex have been great for me for over five years. Great protection and comfortable enough to hike in if needed. Ankles are expensive, good boots are cheap in comparison.

Sidi canyons goretex have been great for me for over five years. Great protection and comfortable enough to hike in if needed. Ankles are expensive, good boots are cheap in comparison.

Yep. A badly broken ankle is never the same. Never.

I just saw this in a magazine the other day.
www.taclace.com

Looks like a great way to manage the extra lace and skip the bow knot too!
[ame="http://youtu.be/6cJrpPsg25M"]TacLace Commercial - General Use - YouTube[/ame]

Back