• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

What do you wear under your helmet?

#1 sides, #4 top and no helmet hair.

When I'm due for a haircut I might have to wet it down to tame the helmet haird.

HJC makes a CoolMax helmet liner hat thing that I have been using for 4 years. It IS cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter just like coolmax adverts. It does keep my helmet cleaner too. I got mine at Lone Star BMW in Austin but I bet you can find it online.

I shave my head because I realized I wasn't getting maximum coverage, doing a comb over with a single hair.

Larry_77084 said:
I shave my head because I realized I wasn't getting maximum coverage, doing a comb over with a single hair.

It's about time some one was honest!:clap: all these riders suggesting #1 gaurds, 2.5 and 3's we all know that they don't have a choice, there genes deceided for them:rofl:

Rainmaker said:
It's about time some one was honest!:clap: all these riders suggesting #1 gaurds, 2.5 and 3's we all know that they don't have a choice, there genes deceided for them:rofl:

LOL thats why I go to the number 5. If I still had the hair I had in high school it would be a totally different story. :giveup:

I don't shave my head because it is too much work.

0 on the sides and 1 on top. When the ridges start to appear it is time for a haircut. I sometimes go 1 month and do not ride to work so that is a month of not cutting hair.

Buzz cut 1.5- makes life so much easier. Motorcycling, bicycling,showering, to many advantages not to. OH Yea, I really had no choice either.

I've got all my hair but used to do a #1 all around during the summers. GF says I look like a punk and my mom says I look like a monk so now I'm back to a normal haircut and helmet hair.

It helps to style your hair with pommade(sp?) and let it set and dry before going for the ride to work. When you get there you can wet your hair and restyle. Works for me.

I also wear a silk/cotton headrag, called sliks.
Got it off cyclegadgets.com or something. It fits perfectly under the helmet, and is the shape of a 3/4 helmet, so it doesn't get in the way when putting on sunglasses. It does a good job of wicking sweat and keeping it off of your helmet liner, and keeps your head cooler.

I have the X-11 and also get hair ridges after the ride to work. I just ruff up my hair a bit then comb it. Heck I'm just glad I still have hair so not a worry.

Oh and make sure your hair is fully dry before you put on the helmet.

Boxercup Dave said:
Oh and make sure your hair is fully dry before you put on the helmet.

I actually like heading out on a hot day with wet hair. Keeps me cooler longer. I don't have to worry about style though, since I put it in a braid every time.

Boxercup Dave said:
Rebecca, you could have braided my hair back in the 70s but not now.

When I get my hair cut/trimmed, I actually specify "It needs to be long enough to braid so I can ride". I'm weird, I know..... ;-)

Sliks head rag - from Cycle Gear. Keeps the oil and sweat from your head off the inside of your helmet. Also reduces wind noise somewhat but since I wear custom ear plugs I already have reduced wind noise.

Back