• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

$20 fine = Warrant for my arrest

Well now that a warrant has been issued if I go try to fight it they're just going to throw me in jail anyway. Time to pay the man and consider it a lesson learned.

<shrug> Call the court, explain to them the situation and point out that they are asking you to pay off a warrant/fine for a violation you did not commit. However, be sure you have documentation that would prove that you met the requirements at the time of the violation... IF you did. :-)

<shrug> Call the court, explain to them the situation and point out that they are asking you to pay off a warrant/fine for a violation you did not commit. However, be sure you have documentation that would prove that you met the requirements at the time of the violation... IF you did. :-)

Been on the phone with them for the last 45 minutes. They are basically unwilling to do anything except receive payment in full or let me serve 72 hours of jail time. They want me to "come in" and discuss it, fortunately I'm not that dumb.

I tried explaining that preventing me from obtaining gainful employment is only going to make it that much difficult for me to contribute to their yearly revenue. I also explained that I was covered under both exceptions on that particular law and did provide evidence to the court, but they are unconcerned with that as well.

That all being said, HR at the job I'm taking said that a Class C Misd. warrant won't be an issue.

And then tell them you want a refund on the payments you DID send them. Why da man always trying ta keep me down?

Been on the phone with them for the last 45 minutes. They are basically unwilling to do anything except receive payment in full or let me serve 72 hours of jail time. They want me to "come in" and discuss it, fortunately I'm not that dumb.

I tried explaining that preventing me from obtaining gainful employment is only going to make it that much difficult for me to contribute to their yearly revenue. I also explained that I was covered under both exceptions on that particular law and did provide evidence to the court, but they are unconcerned with that as well.

That all being said, HR at the job I'm taking said that a Class C Misd. warrant won't be an issue.

You know, if you can provide proof that you were NOT in violation of the helmet law at that time, and that you were ticketed & fined for it... well it sounds like you'd have potential for a nice little lawsuit there. :-)

You know, if you can provide proof that you were NOT in violation of the helmet law at that time, and that you were ticketed & fined for it... well it sounds like you'd have potential for a nice little lawsuit there. :-)

If I can't afford to pay the fine then it stands to reason I can't afford to pay a lawyer either. I just want it to go away before I get arrested over this nonsense. The citation is so old they don't even have all the records for it in one place...making it even harder to get accurate information.

It all goes back to a rookie cop trying to look like a ****** in front of his superior.

Hire a lawyer who doesn't charge a penny until you collect. It should be a piece a cake and you might get some cash from the deal. I'm not one to encourage lawsuits, but it sounds like these idiots had plenty of time to read the law that they enforced incorrectly.

Anyone have Jesse Jackson's #? :rofl:

Now they are saying that my actual "remaining balance" was $110 and the additional $50 is the warrant charge. Why change the story? It seems like the Warrant Officer of the River Oaks PD would know by heart if a warrant charge was $140 or $50.

Your only choice is to pay up unless you can show proof that you already payed in full , Once you signed off on the original plea and agreed to pay you waived all rights to fight the illeagle ticket . When you signed the plea deal you aggree to the charges , right or wrong , unless your a congressman caught with your pants down . SEYA

Heck, he could call the DA's office and ask...

...and there are some attorny offices on the net than you can ask an initial request for info for free while he tries to find alternatives.

Personally, I'd pay the $160 and be done with it. You'll spend more in time and money trying to clear it up. Is it right? No, but you may have a job riding on it.

****. I technically live in River Oaks (on the "wrong side of Shepherd," mind you) and didn't think it had more than the River Oaks Patrol, its own rent-a-cops in cars that mimic the HPD rides.

From reading this thread, it sure seems to me that you were within the letter of the law at the time you were pulled over. You shouldn't be penalized for their ignorance of the law. Contact the AMA or similar organization and see if they provide legal advice or referrals. Often, once you walk into court with a lawyer, fees and incorrect charges and warrants kind of go away.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you have bigger problems dude. I saw "Dog The Bounty Hunter" yesterday and he said he was looking for YOU!
:eek2:

Back